Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mr Bob

• Replies 507
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Clemson is looking good. Thought OK might have a little more game than that. Would really like to see a Bama/Clemson match-up after watching tonight's game. On the other hand, the Vols should have pounded OK. They let off the gas.

Agreed on all counts Carver's. That National Championship game should be epic.

Vols did a great job against Northwestern today! Very good win to close out the season. With Vol football over for the season it's time for storm season to begin in earnest!

Jeez, lots of cliff divers in the other forums. I gotta say, I love how calm, cool, and collected this forum is in comparison. I still like our odds for the coming weeks. That doesn't really mean we will see anything, but considering our odds a few weeks ago were at like .001%, this January is already looking much improved. Weird to see people flipping out so early in the game. I mean, we had like what, 3 winter storms the second half of February last year? It ain't over until it's over.

Jeez, lots of cliff divers in the other forums. I gotta say, I love how calm, cool, and collected this forum is in comparison. I still like our odds for the coming weeks. That doesn't really mean we will see anything, but considering our odds a few weeks ago were at like .001%, this January is already looking much improved. Weird to see people flipping out so early in the game. I mean, we had like what, 3 winter storms the second half of February last year? It ain't over until it's over.

Xc6lqyQ.jpg

This is one of the things I love about this forum. Most folks understand that in our area especially winter is a marathon, not a sprint. We'll get our chances at some point, even if we strike out.

It's like life...you have to just kick back and enjoy the ride.

Nice post, and you are right. I've lived in middle TN for over 40 years. We've had measureable snow every single year. I think officially Nashville has had only two years since the 1870s where they did not have measureable snow, and even those years they still recorded trace amounts.

I'm not sure where to put this, so I'll put it here. Please move if necessary. Here's a good video by this weather enthusiast giving his thoughts on what we've seen so far and what is to come in the overall pattern.

I thought this video was definitely worthy of the main Winter discussion thread. I'm not sure who this guy is but he seemed very informative and laid out his thoughts very nicely. I really enjoyed his discussion about the tropical forcing and the placement of the Aleutian low. Also his analog maps have been spot on so far.

Great blog from James Spann....

http://www.alabamawx.com/?p=98058

Our sub forum is excellent at staying away from this, BTW....makes for much less hysteria....

Thanks for sharing.  Nice article, I totally agree.  That said, we all still like to see pretty snow bomb maps.  haha

The difference is knowing fantasy vs reality.  If you don't follow weather every day and/or have some basic grasp of the difficulty in predicting weather, it's probably pretty easy to get sucked into taking a two week map as something likely to happen.  Sharing maps like this to the general public is certainly irresponsible, as almost 100% of the general public doesn't have the ability to distinguish what is fantasy and what is not.

James Spann is the man! I was lucky enough to meet him at an AMS Broadcast/Severe Wx Comm conference in Nashville. He takes his job so seriously, so much so that he feels personal responsibility during severe weather. Alabama is truly blessed to have Spann watching over them and the weather!

Definitely OK to banter about fantasy storms on a weather board. We know what we are doing here, but my Facebook page says nothing until my work forecast does so. Like Spann says, or Dick Vitale says in Lawrence KS, we love it!

Anyway that article is so spot on it should be in a main pinned thread as well.

James Spann is the man! I was lucky enough to meet him at an AMS Broadcast/Severe Wx Comm conference in Nashville. He takes his job so seriously, so much so that he feels personal responsibility during severe weather. Alabama is truly blessed to have Spann watching over them and the weather!

Definitely OK to banter about fantasy storms on a weather board. We know what we are doing here, but my Facebook page says nothing until my work forecast does so. Like Spann says, or Dick Vitale says in Lawrence KS, we love it!

Anyway that article is so spot on it should be in a main pinned thread as well.

You can feel his passion for weather, I think that's what makes him so popular.  As a side note, his coverage of the blizzard of 1993 was awesome and I usually watch those videos in the late fall of each year.....

I used to watch his morning and afternoon videos with regularity too.  When Brian Peters would fill in and do them, I'd just skip it. Nothing against Brian Peters, but James Spann is the man!  Does anyone know if James still cuts videos twice a day?

Our sub forum is excellent at staying away from this, BTW....makes for much less hysteria....

Thanks for sharing that, Sir! Absolutely fantastic read. It's all about perspective and being able to distinguish between reality and fantasy.

That said I do love those 300+ hour fantasy storms! I'm just not moving my family to the bunker until they're 48 hours out!

You can feel his passion for weather, I think that's what makes him so popular.  As a side note, his coverage of the blizzard of 1993 was awesome and I usually watch those videos in the late fall of each year.....

I used to watch his morning and afternoon videos with regularity too.  When Brian Peters would fill in and do them, I'd just skip it. Nothing against Brian Peters, but James Spann is the man!  Does anyone know if James still cuts videos twice a day?

Yes, I watched him this morning. He does a great job!

http://www.alabamawx.com/

Add me to the list of Spann fans, and yes that was a great write-up from him.

Regarding the upcoming couple of weeks, you know I'd be very pleased with a couple of smaller events for the time being.  Two inches usually shuts down schools here, even one inch can do it if it's cold enough.  Add in a clipper or two and I'd consider that a serviceable winter here with just enough chaos to have some fun.  Knoxville got lucky the past two years with storms that brought half a foot or so.  I'm fine with letting Nashville or other snow starved areas of the valley have a turn at a big dog.  Now, I won't wish away a Fab Feb monster mind you but any bit of snow will be appreciated.

As a teacher I deal with this all of the time.   Unfortunately, it can come from administrators who have read one great piece of "research" that was not peer reviewed by actual teachers.  Next thing you know, the article's philosophy becomes implemented.  In the state of Tennessee we have an epidemic of people who think they know how to run an education system.  Problem?  They don't ask teachers or they ask only the teachers that are "yes" people...of which most teachers are not I might add.  But very few make enough money to be willing to risk telling their actual opinions. 

Now, let me dovetail this into meteorology.   I was blessed to take an actual meteorology class while at UT via the Science department.  It is really amazing to see what professionals know.  I think this professor worked for Oak Ridge in some capacity.  You could tell this guy just knew his stuff.  Then, you go home and turn on the TV and the "meteorologist" on TV is just plain awful(not referring to any current TV mets that I can think of...)  They were conservative so as not to miss and be embarrassed.  I can totally understand that.  But what has arisen from that via social media?  There are folks who are willing to say what local TV mets will not.  Usually, this board is much more aggressive(and accurate) from seven to ten days out.  So....people go where things are less PC, less constrained by the opinions of others.   That is good and bad.  Good because there is a great library of wx information on the internet.  Bad because some folks come across as experts and are not.  Unfortunately, in the age of testing, we have failed to teach our society how to think.  So, when someone drops the maps on FB from the "Blizzard That Never Was" last winter in North Carolina, it goes viral.  Heck, even if I didn't now anything about the wx...I would have cast doubt on that map.  So, the fact that folks cannot think for themselves and don't have the common sense to identify good sources from bad...I tend to have less sympathy for those that believe the snake oil salesmen. 

Back to education,  but I do understand that misinformation and bad theory is a royal pain in the butt for the professionals of any profession whether it be teaching, meteorology, insurance, or the NFL to name a few.  And the consequences of that can range from just inconvenience to actual bad policy being put into practice due to the volumes of information from so called experts.  What is more important is that we have places like this forum where people can learn and even challenge experts.  Heck, most of the time (in the end)we realize we don't know jack...but testing theories is human nature.  I wish there was a place like this for teachers, parents, and politicians to speak freely.  But simply the interest is not there and teachers are afraid to speak.   I always learned a lot from the parents I taught and enjoyed the dialogue that went into making education a successful venture for their family....

Finally, man this is long.  I belong to at least one sports forum where it has been absolutely ruined by people claiming to be in the "know."  The forum is full of name calling and insults...just a miserable place to be around.  I will be quietly ending my subscription this year.  Twitter is ten times better if one is able to critically choose from junk and fact.  We live in an age where people will say anything over the internet.  One thing I do like about this forum...we may not always agree about when it will get cold or warm or snow or rain, but we have some great discussions in the process.  And at the end of the day, I think most of us get something meaningful from the interaction. 

I can't imagine I had that in mind when I posted it.... :whistle:

Imagine that  :lol:  :wub:  

.  So, the fact that folks cannot think for themselves and don't have the common sense to identify good sources from bad...I tend to have less sympathy for those that believe the snake oil salesmen. 

One thing I do like about this forum...we may not always agree about when it will get cold or warm or snow or rain, but we have some great discussions in the process.  And at the end of the day, I think most of us get something meaningful from the interaction. 

The first bolded...it's the easy button I love to speak of..lol. It's on the internet(fb,forums,twitter,etc) so it must be true. 

The second bolded...it's what has kept me coming here (and before) for well over a decade+(2001 or '02). This place is like my second home, where learning about weather while making lasting friendships ruled. It's not that way so much anymore. There are too many young egotistical weenies who think they know everything and will argue with anyone to prove how right they are.....even if what's being argued about won't happen for a long time in the future. Then you have the followers....you know...the ones who will back whatever is being said because it's what they want to hear. Then you have the ones that just like to put their two cents in without bothering to research what is being said. It all ends up as some horrible teenage drama where its always someone else's fault besides their own, because they can't respect themselves, let alone anyone else. It all comes down to this.....most of them just don't want to learn. They want that easy button to show them and tell them so they can post it and have their ego stroked by the heard of sheep that don't care to know better. It just makes the rest of us weather nerds look bad  :(  

Imagine that :lol::wub:

The first bolded...it's the easy button I love to speak of..lol. It's on the internet(fb,forums,twitter,etc) so it must be true.

The second bolded...it's what has kept me coming here (and before) for well over a decade+(2001 or '02). This place is like my second home, where learning about weather while making lasting friendships ruled. It's not that way so much anymore. There are too many young egotistical weenies who think they know everything and will argue with anyone to prove how right they are.....even if what's being argued about won't happen for a long time in the future. Then you have the followers....you know...the ones who will back whatever is being said because it's what they want to hear. Then you have the ones that just like to put their two cents in without bothering to research what is being said. It all ends up as some horrible teenage drama where its always someone else's fault besides their own, because they can't respect themselves, let alone anyone else. It all comes down to this.....most of them just don't want to learn. They want that easy button to show them and tell them so they can post it and have their ego stroked by the heard of sheep that don't care to know better. It just makes the rest of us weather nerds look bad :(

Really was a thought provoking article. I worry about our society because civility is not a priority as much anymore. And the Lord knows, I can work on that myself. I am a sinner, not a saint. I just look at the elderly and the way that they treat people. Not always perfect. But there is a level of respect there. Somehow, I don't picture those folks tossing insults on a message board. They are civil. Not pushovers, but civil. BTW, not referring to this board. Thinking more of some of the sports boards.

WOW!!! I can't wait to get to work tomorrow and tell everyone to stay home on the 17th!!!!

:lmao:

(And just to clarify, yes that is a meager attempt at humor on my part given the recent discussion.) 

Copy and paste it to all the twitters and FW:FW:FWFW:FW::FW to your in-laws!!!!111 

:guitar:

I invited Nathan Scott (meteorologist in Jackson, MS, but formerly with WJHL in the Tri-Cities) to check out our weather board.  He's a young meteorologist and seems to really know his stuff.  I hope he checks us out and considers setting up an account.  Would be nice to have a professional from the southwest side of the TN Valley region.

Archived