• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mountain West Discussion

Chinook

We went up to Lake Louise and Banff today on a spur of the moment type trip.  Left Whitefish at 7am and rolled into Chateau Lake Louise at about 11am.  Went Nordic skiing on the lake -- cross that one off my bucket list at least.  You can tell it's been quite warm throughout the lower elevations of Banff, but there's nothing but three feet of beautiful wintry powder here at Lake Louise.  Temps stayed below freezing all day despite torching in Calgary and the Banff townsite.  6,000 ft and 51N will do wonders :)

• Replies 424
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Took a drive in the mountains and snowing pretty good from Idaho Springs on west. Waiting for it to get here.

I'll take it as a positive that there is not much other discussion regarding 1-3" as in the mid Atlantic this would've been a huge thread by now.

There really is not any one particular day with a western trough on the GFS ensemble means. There are a few ensemble members with a Rockies trough at hour 300 (March 9).

The 06z GFS has some quick snow for northeast CO on March 1st. I wouldn't necessarily think this is a big deal.

Do we buy this? 

My March idea was something like this:

I was just looking at the CPC 1-month lead precip. outlook on the CPC web page. There are green 33%, 40% and 50% contours, and also brown 33%, 40%, and 50% contours. What in the world does this mean? If you have a green 33% contour over your city, don't you have a 67% chance of being below normal? Then why is it green? I tell you, CPC could learn something from people who look at the the recent past, look at the dynamical models, and most importantly look at the analog months/years and make a long-range forecast that clearly describes what the forecast anomaly -will- be.

CPC splits things into thirds, so 33%+ to them is "favored" or plurality forecasting. It is kind of dumb though. Guidance more than a forecast.

I'm very conflicted on March - it's pretty rare to have a wet March here without a wet October prior to it, but a lot of the other signals are there. We also had 0.6" precip last Feb 26-28, which maybe nature counts as "March" which means maybe my idea of 8 dry Marches in a row doesn't hold much water. Some dry Febs do flip to wet Marches here, but it's not super common. The MJO is going to make it to phase eight, but may not get into phase 1,2 or 3 in March. Feb 54, 59, 88 were all almost precip-free Febs in Albuquerque followed by less dry to wet Marches in El Nino years. Of the six strongest DJF El Ninos since 1930, four did have dry Februarys here...and they all flipped to wet Marches. Strong ONI values in Sept-Nov lead to dry Mays out here - but they tend to be wet Marches - so I really do hope March pans out.

The southern Jet is probably necessary for a wet March here, the northern Jet storms have all been pretty dry here this winter. So if that breaks through the death ridge I think we're good. 

It's almost the end of winter, at least DJF winter. Here are the last 90 day precip % of normal and temp departure from normal. Before this winter started, I would have bet $10 that southern California and Arizona would have above-average precip, but they did not. Lots of the country was more than 2F above normal, but the Southwest was generally closer to average.

3uHKNx6.png

ESYaD1r.png

The shorter term (1-3 weeks) outlooks look pretty good. My weather analogs worked very well for Oct-Jan in ABQ but began to break down in Feb for precip/temps/snow. We had 0.05" precip. Huge Feb warmth was only shown in one year - Feb 95.

Was expecting +25%-+50% for precip in DJF - we ended up at only +9% in Albuquerque. Not expecting a big May this year, but with eight dry Marches in a row, and the onslaught of moisture apparently coming to at least CA March does look good to me for moisture. Had been expecting +50-100% for precip in ABQ in MAM but have lowered that to +25% to +50%.

Hey Mountain West friends from the Southeast. Wife and I along with friends are headed to Missoula, Whitefish, etc around the 19th. Any insight on the long range? Any local weather guys on Twitter or Facebook I might follow to watch? I know what to look for here in the southeast for good storms(snow or rain) but not sure about out that way. Thanks!!!!

Mayjawintastawm, you posted this on March 29, 2012. How odd that is so relevant to your last post!

---

OK, as we watch a brown Spring emerge and reflect way back to February 3rd, our last 0.1" or greater and over a foot of snow in Denver:

Opinions on next measurable, next 0.1" or greater, and next 0.5" or greater (all water equivalent) in a calendar day at KDEN? Here goes, for starters:

0.01" or greater: 4/7
0.1" or greater: 4/25
0.5" or greater: 5/27

OK, so call me a pessimist.

Archived