SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

EPO was modeled to go negative with the storm next weekend. None of the tellies are in our favor for that storm. Maybe we might get lucky since the favorable tellies didn't do anything for us.

I know, I was alluding to Snowman saying the Pacific has been a train wreck, that really wasn't the case.

NYC had snow while it rained in Boston. Very weird storm.

The big ones almost always have a big closed ULL with associated surface development. That's something we haven't even come close to seeing this Winter because the STJ has been way too progressive.

I thought we would get a big one by now since this is an El nino year and the STJ should be load. Weird winter.

NYC had snow while it rained in Boston. Very weird storm.

I thought we would get a big one by now since this is an El nino year and the STJ should be load. Weird winter.

lets hope we evolve to that in February/March...January looks to be toast many of the big Kocin storms are in feb and first half of March

Our only hope this month is the storm next weekend. This doesn't look good for snow at all, although we usually get snow when the NAO rises.

4panel.png

For whatever reason, perhaps the El Nino, we aren't getting much interaction between the Northern and Southern streams. Can you remember the last time we had a strong high pressure in position? 

For whatever reason, perhaps the El Nino, we aren't getting much interaction between the Northern and Southern streams. Can you remember the last time we had a strong high pressure in position? 

2010-2011?

Even last winter we had to rely on the -EPO for everything.

I remember the ski resorts in the Catskills reporting insane numbers, Belleayre and Plattekill reported over 8 feet of snow for the entire event while low elevation places like 25 miles east had pretty much all rain. I went skiing about a week later and the drive was insane as it went from no snow on the Thruway to massive snowbanks everywhere as we drove west.

I had close to 40" of snow on the ground after that event.. That was an amazing snow month up here.. I believe some places in the Catskills had a good 5-6' of snow on the ground.

I think Forky had it right when he said this winter looks like a ratter. January looks like it's going to be difficult to pull off a significant winter event. February could surprise with a decent event and has in some El Niño winters but I think the calls for a barnburner comeback winter like last year are in jeopardy.

Announcement

Backing down on SSWE chances officially as of today. I will no longer mention it again this Winter, and probably any other. I think Dr. Cohen is a bright guy, and I do think LR forecasting from significantly benefit from examination of the trop and strat. This science just needs years of additional work before it can applicable. I realize other people have been telling me this. I apologize for being overly aggressive with those folks such as Nittany or Don. Warmy can gtfo, though. It doesn't take any skill or guts to go warm/snowless all the time.

My iPhone weather app that comes with the ios gets its data from the weather channel apparently. It shows snow for Friday. Does anyone know which model the weather channel uses for their forecast? Is there any phone app that uses the euro for their LR forecast?

Archived