SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was posting just yesterday in the MA thread that probably 98% of snow events there have a ridge in the west. In NYC it's probably 75/80 and Boston 65-70. The southwest flow events become much more manageable as you go north, in DC virtually no SWFEs produce snow. Even more odd, our best SWFEs tend to be with a trof in the west and not a ridge. My guess as to why this is the case is that the shortwave dampens as it comes east and tracks over or to our south vs it amplifying and going north with a ridge out west

2009-2010

Yup. Central NJ. Too far north for the MA storms, too far south for the 2/26 event. All produced some snow here, but nothing huge. Dec was around 10, 2/6 around 3, 2/11 produced around 10, and 2/26 produced 8....in any other winter that would have been a good run of storms, but after watching the Balt-Dc-Phillly stuff and the northern areas get pummeled 2/26, it was disappointing....but we got ours on Boxing Day the next winter....and another 19 inches a month later. And that was in a La Nina in 10-11, but a lot of blocking IIRC....

Yup. Central NJ. Too far north for the MA storms, too far south for the 2/26 event. All produced some snow here, but nothing huge. Dec was around 10, 2/6 around 3, 2/11 produced around 10, and 2/26 produced 8....in any other winter that would have been a good run of storms, but after watching the Balt-Dc-Phillly stuff and the northern areas get pummeled 2/26, it was disappointing....but we got ours on Boxing Day the next winter....and another 19 inches a month later. And that was in a La Nina in 10-11, but a lot of blocking IIRC....

Hopefully next winter doesn't go full blown strong La Niña because chances are we won't get so lucky next time. La Niñas with blocking like 08-09 and 10-11 can be pretty good. No blocking though and they are fugly

It's going to be a constant battle due to the strong pacific flow from a super Nino but the signals for potential are there.

If this was a 09/10 strength Nino then this upcoming pattern would produce blockbusters but will the Nino influence be too powerful to overcome. 98 saw the AO tank too but it didn't matter.

Does anyone know the state of the NAO and PNA when the AO dropped below -4 in 1998 compared to now?

It's going to be a constant battle due to the strong pacific flow from a super Nino but the signals for potential are there.

If this was a 09/10 strength Nino then this upcoming pattern would produce blockbusters but will the Nino influence be too powerful to overcome. 98 saw the AO tank too but it didn't matter.

Does anyone know the state of the NAO and PNA when the AO dropped below -4 in 1998 compared to now?

This Nino is declining fairly rapidly, so we might be in luck in that dept.

2/11/10 had 11 in Woodbridge and 2/26 had 13 according to nws

Obviously the year after was better but up until 09-10 our best winter before that was 05-06 in central nj and that was mostly from one storm. The snowpack was pretty solid for feb 10

Obviously the year after was better but up until 09-10 our best winter before that was 05-06 in central nj and that was mostly from one storm. The snowpack was pretty solid for feb 10

It was reported locally as 8, but it did look like more than that. I didn't measure as I had snow to clean.

I'm excited about the coming pattern. My dad is also hyped he said we could get a huge snow event within a week or two that could stay at least 7 weeks. Enjoy weenies

Your making me worried that I should make sure the snowblowers are working. Was hoping the electric Toro would be enough....

Though we averaged more total snow over a decade, don't think we'll ever beat the winter totals of Balt/DC and Philly 09-10, which I think were in the 80's....

Though we averaged more total snow over a decade, don't think we'll ever beat the winter totals of Balt/DC and Philly 09-10, which I think were in the 80's....

09-10

Bwi 77

DCA 56

Phl 78

NYC 51

New Brunswick nj 51.4

I believe outside areas in Phl and DCA they had close to 100.

I think with a little less blocking we can pull that off...obviously that was historic down there but I rather take what we had the last few winters.

Though we averaged more total snow over a decade, don't think we'll ever beat the winter totals of Balt/DC and Philly 09-10, which I think were in the 80's....

I wonder how much snow we received during the 95-96 winter. NYC recorded about 75 inches, we had to of been around that (maybe more).

1995-96 could have been 100" if all the storms stayed all snow...

12/09/95...2" lost...changed to rain...

12/14/95...2" lost...changed to rain...

12/19/95...2" lost...changed to sleet and freezing rain...

01/02/96...7" lost...changed to sleet freezing rain and rain...

01/12/96...2" lost...changed to rain...

03/08/96...5" lost...started as sleet and freezing rain...

03/29/96...5" lost...changed to rain and sleet before changing back to snow...

04/10/96...5" lost...wet snow did not stick...

that's about 25-30" lost to mixing...

1993-94 could have gone over 100" if all the frozen events were all snow too...

We have a week to work with this 500mb setup. 00z GFS is rather close to a storm.

There have been some impressive medium range changes upstream, so I wouldn't count anything off at this point.

92ffe4051266da026d79b31d4a9a5194.png

Yeah, verbatim it looks nice for parts of New England. BTW; excellent and extremely informative writeup in the other thread, I really enjoyed reading it.

Its really interesting how sometimes the Bering Sea Rule shows up from time to time on the models. 

I saw some mention of a low retrograding along the eastern seaboard due to the Japanese coastal storm that took place, and now the GFS shows the clipper bombing and retrograding into Canada. Cool 

Yeah, verbatim it looks nice for parts of New England. BTW; excellent and extremely informative writeup in the other thread, I really enjoyed reading it.

I'm not too concerned about the 13th since the signal for the 17th looks very, very nice. 

558 dm ridge over Greenland and another impressive northern stream system coming down the pike 

And thank you very much! I appreciate it! 

8beffe76710921d86e04eaf5e48e9d10.png

Archived