joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kids were out today riding bikes in shorts and t-shirts. And I saw a few people wearing flip flops yesterday. I wish it would stay this warm all Winter.

If it wants to stay mild then fine but it would be nice if I could open the windows and have a nice cool breeze during the night instead of 60s and humid.

The records have been broken, now I'm ready for at least normal torch weather (+3-5)instead of twilight zone absurdity.

So we all know snow is going to come by mid Jan, im not a fan of the snow at all. I work out side year round and the snow BLOWS. But its part of life living here. BUT im happy that i don't think we will see the awful cold we had last year making the snow less of a permanent fixture with an ice pack lasting till the end of March.

OFF TOPIC: I'm from Stony Brook so i honestly only care about what happens in this part of long island. Sorry but i just have to put that out there. So when i talk about the cold and snow im only talking about this part of the area.

Chris, for 6 months many of us worked to show how that ENSO event would evolve and it did exactly what we said .

Now the same people who were vehemently wrong from May through November are now going to preach about the very months that some here have opined would flip out of a warmer month .

A warm Nov/ Dec was seen from  long distance . Thinking Dec would finish at plus 2c was backed by guidance .

Plus 10 was not modeled anywhere , but the 500 mb pattern was correct  So it has to matter . The fact that the trough dug so deep in the SW and  that ridge exploding over the E tells me be careful when it flips , because as  the pattern are being recognized  by the better guidance even if the anomalies are coming up short . 

No on last Jan saw - 10 for Feb . The models tend to miss the extremes , but there is guidance that foes exceptional at picking up on the seasonal patterns .

It is pattern recognition , I am not looking to win the battle of HDDs .  My passion comes from showing the guidance while others don`t bother . My passion comes from seeing a post go up that is wrong and the hand ringing that follows .

The beauty of PR is if you make a statement Randy asks you to back it up , do you how we would clean this place up if we were held to the same standards . 

JMO.

Yeah, some aspects were correct about the long range forecast. I think the best that science is capable of 

is providing some broad outlines or themes to the long range forecast. But extremes have been happening

so often in the 2000's this far, that no long range forecast can do justice to what has occurred. It may be

that past analogs happened under a different set of circumstances, so the modern expression surprises

to the upside in the extreme department. But even modoki climo for last winter was well exceeded by

by the extremes of late snow and cold from NYC to Boston. The extreme nature of the record warmth

followed from May to December also surprised all well beyond any forecasts. But each new month 

provides the opportunity for a certain model forecasts to get back on track so to speak.

We seem to be moving away from this torch, and not transiently. Here is what guidance is showing now. First we get the +PNA, also notice the ridging near Scandinavia (first image). The Aleutian low is backing off, EPO goes neg. The higher heights begin propagating across the arctic on both sides (second image). Possibly giving us a ridge bridge? Does that set up cross polar flow? I'm posting the GEFS for this example, but keep in mind, the EPS is showing basically the same thing. So there is some agreement there.

+PNA

post-4973-0-85291400-1451133064_thumb.pn

Ridge Bridge?

post-4973-0-13157500-1451133096_thumb.pn

We seem to be moving away from this torch, and not transiently. Here is what guidance is showing now. First we get the +PNA, also notice the ridging near Scandinavia (first image). The Aleutian low is backing off, EPO goes neg. The higher heights begin propagating across the arctic on both sides (second image). Possibly giving us a ridge bridge? Does that set up cross polar flow? I'm posting the GEFS for this example, but keep in mind, the EPS is showing basically the same thing. So there is some agreement there.

+PNA

attachicon.gifGEFS174.png

Ridge Bridge?

attachicon.gifGEFS384.png

Despite the more favorable -EPO/-AO pattern, a pesky remnant of the previous SW trough NE ridge pattern remains.

We'll have to see what the models ultimately do with this persistent feature as we move further into the month.

But we are still talking about day 8-14 which could change again before we get to the New Year.

Despite the more favorable -EPO/-AO pattern, a pesky remnant of the previous SW trough NE ridge pattern remains.

We'll have to see what the models ultimately do with this persistent feature as we move further into the month.

But we are still talking about day 8-14 which could change again before we get to the New Year.

attachicon.gifgfs-ens_z500a5d_namer_3.png

Yeah, that's certainly something to keep an eye on. Honestly, I really didn't think we'd see the kinds of improvements that are being modeled so quickly. And perhaps we don't, or they are being rushed a bit? The low heights in the west want to pump up a ridge in the east. I'm hopeful that what ultimately happens is a split flow with a +pna and STJ underneath.

Look,  let me make it clear that I want the cold and snow!  I am just a realist and I do not believe any blog member or combination thereof, are going to do better than the all encompassing CFS, as stinky as it is, in the long run.    Talking about atmospheric patterns which may or not occur and if they do, may or may not produce the result we all desire, is silly too since U 2 are using the same computer models with their inherent errors.

If Jan. and/or Feb. are to come in negative----at least one of their attendant weeklies will have to go negative.   Show me that negative weekly.  I am being  blinded by the bright purples that have covered up to about 2 Million Sq. Miles at times and wish to get some 'snow blindness' instead.

The weeklies do not look good nor do any of the next 8 months go negative.   In June the next 8 months did not look good already.

Do not look now---but the Spring/Summer is looking warmer by a degree over other recent outputs.   This is becoming scary as CI water temp. is 52 and showing as +8.   Will I get any ocean relief in summer 2016?

Yeah, that's certainly something to keep an eye on. Honestly, I really didn't think we'd see the kinds of improvements that are being modeled so quickly. And perhaps we don't, or they are being rushed a bit? The low heights in the west want to pump up a ridge in the east. I'm hopeful that what ultimately happens is a split flow with a +pna and STJ underneath.

You had the right idea the first time. That's a very good pattern. That map shows the highest heights over W Canada. Look at where that neg is a of Ak.

That map show's some ridging at18k feet but take peak at

What's underneath at 5k feet. -5 to - 10 850s. The 2m anomalies on sunny days with bare grounds ate probably plus 2. So in early Jan you are in the low 40s . The way you get there with that look is because there's all HP slipping through the lakes .

But with ridging just to your west and a STJ you create a nice confluence zone.

With -5 850s what was 42 and sunny is snow if a system attacks from the S

The pattern flips once past Jan 1. We head into a period of plus 1 or 2 for 10 (but cold enough to snow) .

The entire 500mb feild flips. It's a pattern change back into a N winter like regime.

Archived