• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter Banter

dmillz25

PV on the move at the end of the Euro. It was a phenomenal run, but it's cool to talk about positive departures and ENSO records right now, so...

Alas, as Paul indicated earlier, pattern is likely to be transient until early Jan at the earliest, so we may see another warm up

In fairness, the warmth is the big story the next 5-7 days.   All the stuff we are talking about here is really on the edge of fantasy right now, so it belongs here.

• Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In fairness, the warmth is the big story the next 5-7 days. All the stuff we are talking about here is really on the edge of fantasy right now, so it belongs here.

Point taken. It's not as fantastical as it was a few years ago. Long range forecasting has made incredible strides IMO. But, by all means, mock people pattern chasing and dwell on warmth.

The west really gets dumped on with snow the next 10 days on these runs....

Yup. Trough drops down and sits on them for a bit. This also is what allows the EPO to tank and for Atlantic blocking to build up north. This is why I say the pattern begins to change early next week and why the d10 threat is legit IMO. Laugh it up and we'll circle back later next week. :)

CMC major snow event favoring interior. CMC ens two day snowstorm for most of the area. Euro just misses a major snow event. D10.

Obs thread rambling on and on about warmth. Real pattern evolution and threat tracking is in banter. Go figure. Lol

25 degree departures in the mid-range are far more interesting than hints of snow in the fantasy range...

wtf. there are many members here of many forums. why are you making this an issue about wolf and why is it allowed to stand? come on guys, this has been a peaceful place for a long time and wolf is a good guy. back off.

The banter thread is and will continue to be loosely moderated. All banter/wishcasting/fighting belongs in here. I would rather not have the bs arguments/fights that take place but as everyone knows, they are bound to happen at times. As long as no one goes over the line all will be well.

Discussion threads will be more strictly moderated.

Of course he is

You are insufferable...good grief.

----

Forky, I'll bite and play your game. Since you cherry picked today's GFS ensembles, you won't see a good pattern per se, although it is by no means bad, and it is MUCH better than today's pattern. However, if you cherry picked last night's GFS ensembles, you would have seen a HECS pattern. All of the ensembles in some form have shown a very nice pattern in the LR over the past few days. Clearly, a step down process is about to begin. There is also strong evidence that a much stronger SSWE is about to occur and evidence, for example, looking at the CFS Weeklies, that the PV begins to displace close to New Years. ENSO, as you know, has likely peaked as we saw with this weeks numbers, and as upwelling is now occurring in regions 1/1.2. All of this you know already, of course, hence why your post above made me chuckle. Next week is the worst of the warmth, though we may have another moderation period later in the month as the -EPO ridge collapses and the pattern briefly reloads for one last gasp before the PV comes crashing down, early to mid Jan.

What I, and a few others, have been discussing today, is the transient blocking signature present on all models in the d10-d12 range, and the storm that all the models have in the SE during that time frame. There is widespread support for this storm, and it makes sense synoptically, as we have a trough rolling east and s/w getting caught up in Southern Canada because of the Scandinavian block . What this is doing is, forcing the final of these vorts to dig and ride under the base of the trough as it slides east, causing what I believe is a threat that should be watched. The CMC, CMC Ens, Euro, EPS and GEFS all have varying levels of support for this system. The Euro control run gave us a MECS today. It will change...and likely will not happen. But it is something to watch. And sure as hell beats discussing warmth in December.

20 year anniversary of the big one

20 years!!!!! Wow no I'm officially old. That's the first storm I remember soup to nuts even tracking it on the old weather channel. My friends and I made a killing shoveling snow. $50 a house in 1995 was great money for a bunch of teenagers!! I vividly remember the day after it snowed lightly for hours and hours on the island big fluffy flakes that' looked like they would pile up but never amounted to much more.

20 years!!!!! Wow no I'm officially old. That's the first storm I remember soup to nuts even tracking it on the old weather channel. My friends and I made a killing shoveling snow. $50 a house in 1995 was great money for a bunch of teenagers!! I vividly remember the day after it snowed lightly for hours and hours on the island big fluffy flakes that' looked like they would pile up but never amounted to much more.

January 96 was my first real snowstorm since February 1983. There were some nice storms in 1994, but they couldn't compare

to 83 or 96 in the snowfall department. I am glad that the weather boards weren't around for that epic snow drought.

Would have resembled a weather version of Fight Club.

*Sigh* ... okay, I'll continue playing Forky. Last night's 0z GFS was advertising a blocked up HECS pattern at the end. Tanked -EPO and strongly -NAO. Keep cherry picking though, because that's difficult to do at 360 hours! :lol:

gfs_z500a_nhem_51.png

You can snow in a bad pattern in MID DEC " if " a NEG can swing through the slot as your 850s crash .

Is it a good pattern NO

Can you still snow in this set up YES

Why are we arguing about a day 10.5 smoothed out Ensemble mean , I guess because people like to argue .

post-7472-0-83318400-1449700545_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-21577000-1449700557_thumb.pn

post-7472-0-97938700-1449700597_thumb.pn

Archived