SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December Med/Long Range Disco

WinterWxLuvr

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The GEFS ens mean shows a 500 pattern that still is a warm one through the end of the run.   For snow, December looks to be lost.  The 384 hour ensembles also still show the stratospheric polar vortex stronger and colder than normal.  If that holds through the 1st two weeks of January, the winter forecasts that were going for a colder than normal winter will be in deep trouble as December has torched so badly even with a cold late Jan and Feb it would be hard to get bacck below normal.  Oh I'm ready to be punched, If it's not going to snow, give me 70.

Just anecdotally, I've never seen +15-20 degree departures on an ensemble mean 10+ days out....

Yeah, I was going to say.  It's pretty much the most undeniable signal I've ever seen.  There is absolutely no disagreement in guidance until the end of December.  The easiest 2 week forecast of all time during winter?

Yeah, I was going to say. It's pretty much the most undeniable signal I've ever seen. There is absolutely no disagreement in guidance until the end of December. The easiest 2 week forecast of all time during winter?

It's pretty remarkable how tight ens guidance is for d10-15. There's virtually no spread considering the range. The only thing that can offset the eastern ridge is hp underneath it to our N-NE. Would still be AN but not insane like it looks right now.

It's pretty remarkable how tight ens guidance is for d10-15. There's virtually spread considering the range. The only thing that can offset the eastern ridge is hp underneath it to our N-NE. Would still be AN but not insane like it looks right now.

I don't ever recall periods of warmth like this in a winter month. I know 12 and 13 had periods of warmth but nothing like this. Down here I have to run the AC, LOL.

It's pretty remarkable how tight ens guidance is for d10-15. There's virtually no spread considering the range. The only thing that can offset the eastern ridge is hp underneath it to our N-NE. Would still be AN but not insane like it looks right now.

Looks pretty much like the guidance did for the period we are in now except the guidance is even a tad tighter. 

Looks pretty much like the guidance did for the period we are in now except the guidance is even a tad tighter. 

I can't remember the last time I saw this little spread through 15 days for the AO. Unfortunately the complete agreement and anomalous event is the exact opposite of what we hope for. 

post-2035-0-62520800-1450105195_thumb.jp

I can't remember the last time I saw this little spread through 15 days for the AO. Unfortunately the complete agreement and anomalous event is the exact opposite of what we hope for. 

attachicon.gifwow.JPG

It's pretty amazing that the AO was negative for as long as it was, then decided to go massively positive just in time for the period when we really "need" it.

01507    -1.108

201508    -0.689

201509    -0.165

201510    -0.250

201511     1.945

November.  :lol:

Congrats, polar bears.

I posted a snip off the spread sheet a couple days ago. Here it is again. Dec +1 or more doesn't have good company for snow lovers. This month should easily top +1.

attachicon.gif+aodec.JPG

In 12/15, January averaged positive, 80%

In 7/15, so did February, 47%.

For those going with a backloaded winter that will save us, it may very well.  However, from this data, I'd have to say that the odds aren't in our favor.

In 12/15, January averaged positive, 80%

In 7/15, so did February, 47%.

For those going with a backloaded winter that will save us, it may very well. However, from this data, I'd have to say that the odds aren't in our favor.

Strong Ninos have mostly sucked in March in DC.

given the last 2 winters were pretty long and legit, i'm not that surprised that we're making it up by having a warm december, though i guess what's got everyone frazzled is the intensity of it.  this region seems to be hit or miss when it comes to winter.  it's really always been that way.  while i'm not a fan of global warming i'd be lying if i said this weather isn't a lot more comfortable to walk around in then sub-freezing temps. 

So scratch March off the list too.

However, there is the good news that we have done well the past two winters with no help from the AO or NAO, so I don't think those stats rule out a good winter.

In the long run though that won't continue. The SSTs in the NATL have been crazy unfavorable the last few winters which is why I think the NAO has mostly sucked. The fact we are headed into the colder AMO likely won't help either, although the odds this next cold AMO will be as putrid for the NAO as the last one from the 70s and 80s was is unlikely. The prior cold AMO phase in the 30s or 40s also saw a mostly positive NAO but it wasn't as horrid as the one after that

given the last 2 winters were pretty long and legit, i'm not that surprised that we're making it up by having a warm december, though i guess what's got everyone frazzled is the intensity of it.  this region seems to be hit or miss when it comes to winter.  it's really always been that way.  while i'm not a fan of global warming i'd be lying if i said this weather isn't a lot more comfortable to walk around in then sub-freezing temps. 

Yeah, I think it's the intensity and how sustained it has been (and will continue to be given the latest guidance).  It's not just a few extreme days skewing the overall mean.

I wouldn't say that last winter was so much "long and legit", it was more back-loaded.  December was pretty warm and blah, January was near normal, then of course we had an extremely cold February.  We had one decent clipper in early January last winter, then nothing until that amazing period in February to early March.

In 2013-14, that was definitely wall-to-wall winter, cold throughout pretty much, and sustained (not to mention quite snowy).  December 2013 ended up a bit warmer than normal but mostly due to several very warm days right before Christmas; early that month had some pretty cold days.

I'm not sure if this year will follow any of the prior analogs.

Maybe not but of the strongest peaks 10 out of 12 were crappy in March.

Part of me wonders if we're still just lagging... this Nino seems to have peaked on the later side of the strong ones. But overall it's still doing what they do just not necessarily in all the typical places per se. 

I've tended to think this is a Feb winter all along but I wouldn't even bet much on that at this point. 

Archived