Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respectable snow yesterday and last night. Very wet and dense... been the theme all season so far.

The next storm will again be very wet. Great base for the trails!

This is good news. Lay down a dense base and the add tons of powder. Will be up there in 2 months :) I haven't been up north during winter in 3 years. There's been no need with our deep pack. This year I will go and may need your help to monitor who has THE deepest snow ;)

Depending on what happens with Wednesday evening's wave and the LES on Thursday, today's sleet fest may have been just enough to prevent this December from being atop 10 snowless for DTW.

If we see 0.3" more snow (currently monthly total is now 1.4"), then it will only be a top 20 snowless. 

Today was around 35° really early in the morning and then it slowly fell. Been hanging around 28° for awhile now with cloudy skies. 

Central IL - I can imagine with lower 20s that freeze up is going to create a new host of issues with ice. At least it will slow the runoff a bit.

Clearly there was more sleet and less freezing rain in Farmington Hills than my area. Most of my sleet melted and there was just a few piles, but plowed sleet piles everywhere when i got to work (but just a tiny bit on the grass).

We didn't get any freezing rain until the last hour of precip. I think freezing rain started here around 10pm.

We didn't get any freezing rain until the last hour of precip. I think freezing rain started here around 10pm.

Obviously i do not know how much of my liquid equivalent storm total 1.12" was ip, zr, & plain rain, but I do know that it POURED freezing rain after the sleet for a good 3 hours. Everything draped I'm ice and the white sleet cover had a thick crust. Once it warmed above freezing the rain intensity slackened. So while it was mostly an ice storm, post storm temps in the 40s left little to show from it. Why I would prefer sleet over freezing rain because it LOOKS like snow. Of course enough of this rain and ice...just give me snow!

Archived