Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2015 Discussion

Hoosier

fixed

Haha

You have a good point there. The only two areas that get into good LES when the lake is that warm is downwind of Lake Erie in western NY and downwind of Lake Ontario in and around the Tug Hill. 

The band that get concentrated into plumes help generate their own cold and overcome the mild marine temps with the high snowfall rates.

Western MI would probably be too warm for snow when multiple lighter bands set up downwind and Lake Superior never gets that warm! Maybe off Georgian Bay in Ontario you could see some snow if the waters were that warm.

• Replies 840
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This warm fall has been a pretty interesting experience. Highs consistently in the 40s has allowed the grass to stay green, and even some odd flowers hanging on. Down here at the lakeshore we've had about 3-4 frosts 30-32F and about one hard freeze around 25F. With the upcoming stretch of weather looking warm Toronto could have green grass into mid December. 

This warm fall has been a pretty interesting experience. Highs consistently in the 40s has allowed the grass to stay green, and even some odd flowers hanging on. Down here at the lakeshore we've had about 3-4 frosts 30-32F and about one hard freeze around 25F. With the upcoming stretch of weather looking warm Toronto could have green grass into mid December.

I do tend to notice that regardless of the type of winter it is, when snow is not present, the grass can still look green in December before it takes on a more battered brown appearance later in winter

While many of you hundreds of miles to the south were getting snow today, I had rain/sleet overnight, 40s and sunshine today, and then a rainshower in the afternoon. I am still seeing green grass, blooming pansies, and healthy looking petunia vegetation while working this week.

Sounds like the marine influence is stronger over your way. I noticed some heavy returns around South Haven earlier and I thought it was probably heavy snow, but no it was just rain with a west wind off the water. 

Haven't seen flower blooming here in awhile now. Grass is still pretty green though. Snow from this morning largely stuck around.

Got a half inch of slushy snow here last night. Appears to have snowed between 12-2am. Temp has been hovering in mid-30s with above freezing dews all night as well, so theres even a chance it was a bit more than that. Still 0.4-0.5" on the deck, but being soaked into the grass. Could be the last snow for a few weeks. Will Nov have more snow than Dec for a 2nd straight year? Way too early to tell, but the possibility is on the table.

DTW picked up 0.4" so at 6.6" on the season, for the moment still running near 300% of normal to date :lmao: I am at 5.5" on the season.

First pic is frost patterns on my car (forgot to post yesterday). Second pic is Dec slush.

4519-800.jpg

4520-800.jpg

Nice pics Josh.
Another, in what seems like an endless stretch of foggy, cloudy, dampish days with mixed precipitation.  Not much in the way of snow. Around 4" away from the house.    The next 10 days or so are gonna crawl.

Oh well , it's still beautiful out. Went down to get the mail, took a few pics.  About 50' off the house saw a bear tracks. I guess with the mild fall and lack of snow, some are putting off hibernation this year.

Nice pics Josh.

Another, in what seems like an endless stretch of foggy, cloudy, dampish days with mixed precipitation. Not much in the way of snow. Around 4" away from the house. The next 10 days or so are gonna crawl.

Oh well , it's still beautiful out. Went down to get the mail, took a few pics. About 50' off the house saw a bear tracks. I guess with the mild fall and lack of snow, some are putting off hibernation this year.

IMG_3223.JPG

IMG_3233.JPG

Great pics as always. Crazy how little snow that is up there. It will get better though naturally. I can't wait to see some powder. November 21st was the most scenic snowfall I've seen and I LOVED it, but powder is my favorite.

Doesn't look like Buffalo picked up any measurable snow today. That at least ties the latest on record for them and with no snowfall in the forecast, that record is going to be shattered by the time measurable snow actually occurs.

Doesn't look like Buffalo picked up any measurable snow today. That at least ties the latest on record for them and with no snowfall in the forecast, that record is going to be shattered by the time measurable snow actually occurs.

That record has been in place for 116 years if I remember correctly. If they can beat it by 7-10 days I would think that it will be next to impossible to beat. 

Nothing as of the 4PM CLI, so that's the case.

That record has been in place for 116 years if I remember correctly. If they can beat it by 7-10 days I would think that it will be next to impossible to beat. 

Yep. We are going to destroy the record by at least 2 weeks. If the last record held for 100+ years, this one just might be near impossible to beat. It is almost a certainty to expect below normal snowfall during strong El Ninos here. Only 1 received more snowfall than normal. The only good part of this is that when the arctic air does arrive we will have a record warm lake to go along with it. Something similar happened this year to 2001 when we received 82.3" of snow at the airport in 5 days when we only received a trace up to X-Mas week. Obviously that type of cold air will be hard to come by this winter though. Most areas around here will probably finish at 50% of snowfall average.

635844667334856406-2untitled.png

Yep. We are going to destroy the record by at least 2 weeks. If the last record held for 100+ years, this one just might be near impossible to beat. It is almost a certainty to expect below normal snowfall during strong El Ninos here. Only 1 received more snowfall than normal. The only good part of this is that when the arctic air does arrive we will have a record warm lake to go along with it. Something similar happened this year to 2001 when we received 82.3" of snow at the airport in 5 days when we only received a trace up to X-Mas week. Obviously that type of cold air will be hard to come by this winter though. Most areas around here will probably finish at 50% of snowfall average.

I would bet this winter is colder than 2001-02. It wasnt even that cold with that late Dec cold snap in 2001, just a bit below normal. I can guarantee you we will have numerous shots of air that cold and colder this winter. Whether the ingredients are in place for mega LES is another story.

I would bet this winter is colder than 2001-02. It wasnt even that cold with that late Dec cold snap in 2001, just a bit below normal. I can guarantee you we will have numerous shots of air that cold and colder this winter. Whether the ingredients are in place for mega LES is another story.

Yeah for sure. I mean we will definitely get shots of cold during the winter but I don't expect consistent shots which would increase the odds of more LES events which really help the odds of building up the total snow for the year. When we only get arctic air sparingly it lowers the possibilities of that happening. Then you're relying upon a perfect scenario like 01 was. The last 2 years we had so many shots that it was a virtual lock to be above average in the snowfall department. We haven't had to many good synoptic events the last few years though, so hopefully that changes this year.

When there is cold enough air and the wind direction is right, you could really get clobbered Buffalo Weather. Lake temps are going to stay above normal for awhile. 

High of 36° today. Cloudy and dreary all day. Supposed to be sunny tomorrow...

Yeah for sure. I mean we will definitely get shots of cold during the winter but I don't expect consistent shots which would increase the odds of more LES events which really help the odds of building up the total snow for the year. When we only get arctic air sparingly it lowers the possibilities of that happening. Then you're relying upon a perfect scenario like 01 was. The last 2 years we had so many shots that it was a virtual lock to be above average in the snowfall department. We haven't had to many good synoptic events the last few years though, so hopefully that changes this year.

What is avg for yby? Your sig totals look laughably lopsided right now. 212 inches at your latitude! How do find time to measure it all?

Sunny and 47 for a high. just feels unreal. managed to somehow not melt much snow at all, as the low sun angle and cold ground (with already 6"+ frost)was working some magic. Suspect tomorrow will be a bigger melt day.

Taking advantage of the weather tomorrow and doing a 4 wheeler ride deep into the woods. places you normally wouldn't be able to get to this time of year. think some of the higher elevations west of me may have 8 or more inches still.

Archived