Newest Member
    joxey
December warm NOT White

PB GFI

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Week 4 euro broken down in N/E.

The interesting thing about the Euro monthly for December issued on November 8th is Aleutian Low position

further to the east than the present weeklies as of last night are showing. While the monthly was warm for 

December, it's going to underestimate the departure compared to what we are getting. I think the new

Euro monthlies come out today so I will be curious to see what they show. El Ninos are typically back-loaded

winters, but the degree of back-loadedness can vary.

The interesting thing about the Euro monthly for December issued on November 8th is Aleutian Low position

further to the east than the present weeklies as of last night are showing. While the monthly was warm for 

December, it's going to underestimate the departure compared to what we are getting. I think the new

Euro monthlies come out today so I will be curious to see what they show. El Ninos are typically back-loaded

I agree, especially if we stay dry, the + departures are going to be astounding.  If it gets stormier, then the + departures could be less

I agree, especially if we stay dry, the + departures are going to be astounding.  If it gets stormier, then the + departures could be less

Yeah, the GEFS +12 to +15 departure for the next week is very impressive warmth for the second week of December. The amount of warmth since the pattern flip after last March is amazing considering how

unusually cold February was. But the Nino driven ridge over the NE locked in in May and hasn't let up.

Talk about persistent 500 mb pressure patterns.

I wasn't buying a day 25 to 32 forecast , just responding to the posts " worst I have ever seen " and "really warm " . They are not , they aren't cold but the week 4 at 500 is breaking away from the week 1 through 3 pattern.

( which we all expected ) I did originally think plus 2 at the start of the month a few days I was think plus 4 , but snoski plus 9.5 which I thought was really high will b a lot closer if we do finish with the record , so thats a very good job on his part.

Thankfully I am plus 1 for J thru M , it would have been impossible to erase the Dec departure .

I have the new monthlies 

J-M look fine 

+.05 - 1 @ 2M, looks v good @ 500 

2010-11 wasn't a strong la Nina?

it was the 8th strongest la nina per oni numbers...extreme blocking saved that winter...

year.....DJF .....peak...snowfall

73-74....-1.7.....-1.9.......23.5"

88-89....-1.6.....-1.8.........8.1"

99-00....-1.6.....-1.6.......16.3"

75-76....-1.5.....-1.6.......17.3"

49-50....-1.4.....???.......13.8"

98-99....-1.4.....-1.4.......12.7"

07-08....-1.4.....-1.4.......11.9"

10-11....-1.3.....-1.4.......61.9"

70-71....-1.3.....-1.3.......15.5"

I have the new monthlies 

J-M look fine 

+.05 - 1 @ 2M, looks v good @ 500 

Thanks...it will be interesting to see how much the Aleutian Low can back off during the second half of winter.

The Euro wasn't far enough east with the Aleutian Low for December. But hopefully it does better with JFM.

Both the GFS and Euro are advertising the potential for mid 60's on Sunday

which would be a new record for the 13th across the area. The December

monthly temperature departures are going to be very impressive for

December 1-15.

NEW YORK CITY-CENTRAL PARK KNYC   GFSX MOS GUIDANCE  12/09/2015  0000 UTC                        FHR  24| 36  48| 60  72| 84  96|108 120|132 144|156 168|180 192       WED  09| THU 10| FRI 11| SAT 12| SUN 13| MON 14| TUE 15| WED 16 CLIMO X/N  52| 48  57| 49  61| 51  60| 54  66| 55  64| 48  51| 42  52 31 43

what a 4 day torch!  Low's in the mid 50's in the city?  Wow.

We'll get a chance for +20 or greater daily departures with new records possible if it verifies that warm.

It would be the greatest December warmth here since the record warmth right before Christmas 2013.

NYC

12/21/13  65  51  58  22   12/22/13  71  61  66  30  12/23/13  64  42  53  18  

If you look at december averages for the last 15 years or so you would find they are running about a degree or so above that 37.5 average.

The tendency the past 20 years even in snowier winters and even some of the snowier Decembers like 02 has been for it to not be the coldest or even the warmest month of the winter there is no doubt about that.

Archived