Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looking more and more likely that the highlight of this epic pattern is going to be the clipper tomorrow where a dusting looks like the most likely outcome. But hey at least we'll have that first trace of snow for winter :axe: weekend event looking more and more like a cutter. The long term isn't looking promising either.

My area averages less than 15" of snow per year. I understand most people's frustration in the total shutout thus far. However, there are 2 more solid months of winter in front of us and Nino climo suggests late bloomers. If it doesn't happen well then super Nino just ran the table.

Down here we endured some long snowless stretches. We did not have a plow able snow from just after PDII to the March 09 snowstorm.

A fortune cookie once told me " to have no expectations is to have everything"

GFS looks like a solid coating for the area as well. Hires nam showing maybe some squall potential with the clipper, i would take a squall that puts down a half inch tomorrow to at least whiten things up.

For us, I predict more salt on the roads than snow tomorrow. Those road crew guys are chomping at the bit.

For us, I predict more salt on the roads than snow tomorrow. Those road crew guys are chomping at the bit.

Yes, it is a shame there is so much moral hazard in snow removal. Needlessly wastes salt, destroys the ecosystem, infrastructure and our vehicle chassis when crews go overboard on these little events. It will be a shame if there is a miracle and this winter goes nuclear late in the season leaving townships with squandered and depleted salt reserves. 

Don't like the chances of getting a far enough correction for snow this weekend but our best shot could be a few days later

Seems like were are always 'chasing' the snowstorm. Ie, snow forecast D+8....gets closer, storm fizzles and another snow forecast pops at D+8....gets closer, atmosphere warms then another snow forecast pops at D+8....wash rinse repeat. Of course there are winters when they actually verify but most of the time here we play the dog chasing it's own tail game. 

But I suppose most of us in the area like at least one of the Philly sports teams, so we are used to this....."we'll get 'em next time" mentality. 

Enjoy the "up to an inch of snow" today.  :snowing:

Yes, it is a shame there is so much moral hazard in snow removal. Needlessly wastes salt, destroys the ecosystem, infrastructure and our vehicle chassis when crews go overboard on these little events. It will be a shame if there is a miracle and this winter goes nuclear late in the season leaving townships with squandered and depleted salt reserves.

Have you seen the way people drive when any amount of snow falls around here? Even with the salt I'm expecting the afternoon commute to be anarchy on the roadways.

Don't like the chances of getting a far enough correction for snow this weekend but our best shot could be a few days later

I think the best case scenario is a little snow at the end but pretty certain this storm is going to be all rain for the area. Unless the models are horribly wrong about the primary track and I mean hundreds of miles wrong. I just don't see it.

Something I recently saw posted in NYC forum that Jan 10-20th is a notorious time period in winter for a lack of big snowstorms with the  exception of course 1996. Sands in the hour glass are running lower becoming increasingly likely we need a 1983 or 2006 big one in Feb to salvage this winter.

Something I recently saw posted in NYC forum that Jan 10-20th is a notorious time period in winter for a lack of big snowstorms with the exception of course 1996. Sands in the hour glass are running lower becoming increasingly likely we need a 1983 or 2006 big one in Feb to salvage this winter.

is the same trend observed in El nino years?

Something I recently saw posted in NYC forum that Jan 10-20th is a notorious time period in winter for a lack of big snowstorms with the  exception of course 1996. Sands in the hour glass are running lower becoming increasingly likely we need a 1983 or 2006 big one in Feb to salvage this winter.

jan 11 2011 was a pretty good storm

Archived