SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

same Guy that posted this

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/47503-increasing-threat-of-significant-east-coast-winter-storm-jan-10-11/

just be careful if you decide to get your hopes up at this stage of the game is all I am saying.  This pattern is still more likely to disappoint than deliver.  I hope we get hammered but if there is a storm I am expecting more wet around here than white right now. 

I’ll wait until early Feb before bailing on winter. I’ve always been in the back-loaded winter camp. Sure, I thought we’d see some snow by now, nothing epic, but a few nickel and dime events. And I am surprised at how few coastals/nor’easters there have been so far.

The way I saw this winter unfold was: December would suck, January would be the transition month, and if we were to have a winter, Feb into early March would be our shot. In the back of my mind, the fear of a 97/98 redux has always been there – and it may yet play out that way. But I’m not ready to bail ... yet.

I’ll wait until early Feb before bailing on winter. I’ve always been in the back-loaded winter camp. Sure, I thought we’d see some snow by now, nothing epic, but a few nickel and dime events. And I am surprised at how few coastals/nor’easters there have been so far.

The way I saw this winter unfold was: December would suck, January would be the transition month, and if we were to have a winter, Feb into early March would be our shot. In the back of my mind, the fear of a 97/98 redux has always been there – and it may yet play out that way. But I’m not ready to bail ... yet.

I generally agree with this. I am banking on (1) Feb blockbuster to basically soften the blow of a generally warm and wet winter.  

I generally agree with this. I am banking on (1) Feb blockbuster to basically soften the blow of a generally warm and wet winter.  

I agree with this as well. Probably one or two 1-3/2-4 inch storms and one blockbuster that gets us to normal snowfall on the year despite it being a pretty crappy winter. With how juiced up these systems have been, if we get the timing with cold air just once, I think we'll get a 14-18+" storm.

The January 22-23 potential threat is my personal deadline for canceling winter. If we get another sub 990mb LP in an ideal spot with strengthening HP in a decent spot like the GFS OP is showing and end up with rain, this winter is just cursed. Thinking the 18Z GFS OP solution is extremely suspect but then again, the bowling ball cutoff low / warm idea has been hinted at by other models the past few days. The key takeaway here is that there is still a potentially powerful storm on the table progged to affect the Eastern Seaboard. That's about all we can ask for at this point.

Ralph the 240 hr EURO looks like a cold front would clear and a storm could ride on the back side of the front...

& the 18z GFS shows a MECS for the Mid-Atlantic & us on the 28th...not ready to give up...

...actually I am, this winter sucks but I guess we were due

I really dont like the whole 'cancel winter' thing anymore to be honest. I guess I kind of outgrew it so I say Im 'canceling winter' tongue-in-cheek. But with that said, if we get another deep LP taking a near perfect track in mid/late January and get rain, then my confidence in this winter being able to produce will be at an all-time low. Some of the LR progs beyond Jan 23 do look appealing, but are they merely teases? I keep reading from some well-respected posters that after Jan 25 the pattern completely breaks down and we torch severely thru early Feb.

I really dont like the whole 'cancel winter' thing anymore to be honest. I guess I kind of outgrew it so I say Im 'canceling winter' tongue-in-cheek. But with that said, if we get another deep LP taking a near perfect track in mid/late January and get rain, then my confidence in this winter being able to produce will be at an all-time low. Some of the LR progs beyond Jan 23 do look appealing, but are they merely teases? I keep reading from some well-respected posters that after Jan 25 the pattern completely breaks down and we torch severely thru early Feb.

I'm rooting for a torch if the 22-23rd threat fails to deliver any snowfall. If every system is going to bring all rain, it may as well be warm. Cold and dry with no snow cover just sucks. Would be nice to get an early start on my golf season too.

First threat has made it to day 7. Normally I would not like the GFS coming in this far north this early in the game but the euro depictions have been further south. Comes at the end of a cold period and the point of the pattern breakdown back to mild just like old times! It's a long shot in this fast flow but right now it is Januaries last great hope.

this is   not a  good  by  post  because anthony   as he ONLY  post the one map from the   CMC  that has snow for   the NE   BIG CITIES  

In fact the   12z  CMC   shows a lot of  RAIN  for I-95   up to NYC 

the 500 low    closed over over ILL/ IND  OH  and does not drop nearly  as far south as   the  EURO   euro  EPS  or GEFS shows  

post-9415-0-07726900-1452982066_thumb.pn

post-9415-0-40149500-1452982071_thumb.pn

Anyone wanna take a quick look at the CMC? I recommend you are sitting down when you look at it. 

Archived