Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE/ Non Storm OBS thread

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today's 12z GFS is beyond hideous with it's cold and dry and the occasional cutter, I would want spring come February if that happens. Good it changes every run but 0z ECM didn't inspire confidence.

The warm/wet and cold/dry pattern is inevitable imo. STJ rules the show this year (El Nino) even tho some folks will deny this. Suppress it south with arctic outbreaks and we're dry, pop a SE ridge with warmth and we get the precip as storm track shifts North. Northern jet is non-existant with little reflection in the lr ens means that this will change. This winter is going to frustrate alot of folks. I do think still we get a 7-10 day window in mid-Feb where things come together, but honestly, Im not expecting much more than that. Hope Im wrong but fear I may be correct....which is rare so take my opinion with a grain of salt, lol.

Agreed. Even in some of our favorite Nino winters, such as 02-03 and 09-10, January was kind of uneventful -- other than occasional clipper snows.

I'm not saying we get shut out this month, but I'm not looking for any big snows (6" or more) until Feb. As Ralph said above, I hope I'm wrong and we get buried sooner.

Could have a threat day 7 for the interior if some things change. Would need the first system to push further east to get the cold air towards the coast. The problem with this is that too far east, and the system misses completely OTS. Would be a thread the needle type storm and those rarely work out. As of now, it looks like a rainstorm apps cutter but a subtle change to the east would get the interior in on some snows. The coast getting snow in this set up would be miraculous imo but stranger things have happened... At least it's something to track as after that we are looking cold and dry...

Could have a threat day 7 for the interior if some things change. Would need the first system to push further east to get the cold air towards the coast. The problem with this is that too far east, and the system misses completely OTS. Would be a thread the needle type storm and those rarely work out. As of now, it looks like a rainstorm apps cutter but a subtle change to the east would get the interior in on some snows. The coast getting snow in this set up would be miraculous imo but stranger things have happened... At least it's something to track as after that we are looking cold and dry...

I agree February may be a winter wonderland but damn a seasonably cold January with arctic outbreaks followed by mild cutters due to a poor pattern will be quite the kick in the nuts after the warmest December on record, especially for peeps like me that like early and mid portion type winters when we have the low sun angle(2001, 2004-05, 2011) as good examples. Then there is the fact I have no measurable on the season which is weighing on me. The pressure is on for this one but alas the last two were great.

Supposed to help lead a junior-high school ski trip to Poconos this Sunday.  Think it's a rain-out?  Freezing rain? I hate to take kids up there and have an ice storm.  Any help or speculation is welcome. Thanks.

NWS forecast of low 40's with showers looks good, ECM says there is virtually no chance of frozen Sunday. Heavier showers look to hold off until overnight so probably not a washout. Tough call.

Supposed to help lead a junior-high school ski trip to Poconos this Sunday.  Think it's a rain-out?  Freezing rain? I hate to take kids up there and have an ice storm.  Any help or speculation is welcome. Thanks.

you should be fine maybe some drizzle during the day. there's no chance of frozen with this system imo. still I would check and see how much terrain is even open up there after the warm december..i was up in new hampshire last week(before their snow of course) and okemo/killington both had under 20 trails open out of 120+, I can't imagine the pocono's are fairing any better...they've probably just now begun to make serious snow due to the weather.

No snow at all and through the foreseeable future into January, and my first snow blower in the garage...priceless irony

well at least we have a scapegoat for winter :axe:  :weenie:

speaking of the 18z gfs, the day 7 storm goes poof. the first system pushes through a bit faster and because of that, it completely changes the H5 setup. major changes compared to 12z though not necessarily good changes. well, good if you don't want a rainstorm. but still real iffy on a snowstorm, other than flurries.

speaking of the 18z gfs, the day 7 storm goes poof. the first system pushes through a bit faster and because of that, it completely changes the H5 setup. major changes compared to 12z though not necessarily good changes. well, good if you don't want a rainstorm. but still real iffy on a snowstorm, other than flurries.

The changes were acceptable they bring Jan 96 at 312hrs :whistle:  good fantasy for four more hours

Archived