Mid-Atlantic winter 2015-16 snowfall contest

PrinceFrederickWx

DCA: 18.5"

IAD: 26.8"

BWI: 24.2"

RIC: 12.5"

Tiebreaker: 3.0"

February 14-15 MillerA 12"+ w/mixing

Sorry, but I can't let you in officially. I don't wanna be a jerk but if I don't have a firm deadline people are just gonna keep posting until January, which isn't fair to those who made their calls in November before the deadline. But I can follow you unofficially in my spreadsheet if you want.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd vote for a grace period.. not like it matters. Obv you can't extend it to Jan 15 but there's no difference in making a guess last week or today IMO.

I agree, but idk when to draw the line though. End of this week? I don't wanna piss off the 57 people who got entries in on time either. I do like having more people in it though.

What do you all think, should I let the late people in?

Ok, I've decided to extend it until 12:01AM on Dec. 5, our (no longer statistically significant) snow day. I think Bob Chill made a good point- if it had already snowed or there were threats on the horizon I'd be totally against it, but since we're still in the same miserable pattern as late November I don't think the late people have much of an advantage. No more extensions after this though. Hopefully no one's too mad about the extension...

So Eastcoast NPZ, #BUSYBULLET and joelhousman are all in, that's 60 people now. If anyone else wants to edit their forecasts before then, go ahead... but if you do, post a reply letting me know cause I doubt I'll see it otherwise.

Eastcoast NPZ, you may want to put in a tiebreaker as you could still theoretically tie with Rodney if the final totals are midway between. Though keep in mind if that happens, someone else will be awarding you the trophy, as I'll be jumping out my window into the brown, snowless ground below (actually, it would probably be more like green, overgrown grass from all the warm rains). :cliff:

We need more weenie calls- someone get needbiggerboat to come in here and call for 80" at BWI like he did last year.

Wes should play too, though whatever he calls for would most likely have me heading for a toaster bath, so... :lol:

Also... I don't know how to edit the thread subtitle. Does a moderator have to do that?

Ok, I've decided to extend it until 12:01AM on Dec. 5, our (no longer statistically significant) snow day. I think Bob Chill made a good point- if it had already snowed or there were threats on the horizon I'd be totally against it, but since we're still in the same miserable pattern as late November I don't think the late people have much of an advantage. No more extensions after this though. Hopefully no one's too mad about the extension...

So Eastcoast NPZ, #BUSYBULLET and joelhousman are all in, that's 60 people now. If anyone else wants to edit their forecasts before then, go ahead... but if you do, post a reply letting me know cause I doubt I'll see it otherwise.

Eastcoast NPZ, you may want to put in a tiebreaker as you could still theoretically tie with Rodney if the final totals are midway between. Though keep in mind if that happens, someone else will be awarding you the trophy, as I'll be jumping out my window into the brown, snowless ground below (actually, it would probably be more like green, overgrown grass from all the warm rains). :cliff:

We need more weenie calls- someone get needbiggerboat to come in here and call for 80" at BWI like he did last year.

Wes should play too, though whatever he calls for would most likely have me heading for a toaster bath, so... :lol:

Also... I don't know how to edit the thread subtitle. Does a moderator have to do that?

Rodney can claim victory if we tie. I stand by my previous statement: no tie-breaker necessary!  I'm calling my shot, just like the Babe. 

I think if you go to the bottom of your very first post and click edit, you should be able to edit title/subtitle

Damn!  Pretty harsh around here.

You mean I can't research all the model data I can find, wait until the last minute, miss the deadline, and be given an extension?  Am I really supposed to adhere to deadlines?  What's the world coming to?

this is serious bidness 

Damn!  Pretty harsh around here.

You mean I can't research all the model data I can find, wait until the last minute, miss the deadline, and be given an extension?  Am I really supposed to adhere to deadlines?  What's the world coming to?

12:01AM Saturday, Dec. 5 is the line in the sand (I said 12:01AM just so there's no confusion over which day "midnight Dec. 5" means. No entries or edits allowed and I won't even track anyone unofficially after that point. Any calls after that will be ignored. No amount of PM's or posts will change my mind this time. 

See this was why, despite the overwhelming number of people asking me to extend it, I was afraid of doing so. I figured someone would get mad.

12:01AM Saturday, Dec. 5 is the line in the sand (I said 12:01AM just so there's no confusion over which day "midnight Dec. 5" means. No entries or edits allowed and I won't even track anyone unofficially after that point. Any calls after that will be ignored. No amount of PM's or posts will change my mind this time. 

See this was why, despite the overwhelming number of people asking me to extend it, I was afraid of doing so. I figured someone would get mad.

I"m not mad.  But you shoulda held firm.

But hey, it's your contest.  Do it your way.  I'm only clowning around anyway.

No worries about the extension but 12:01 a.m. Dec 5th is normally considered to be the minute after midnight of Dec 4th. As in midnight Christmas Eve and New Years Eve as well known examples of the convention.

This gives me two extra days to study the evolution of the Feb 9-10 snowstorm if I want to fine tune my forecast. ;)

No worries about the extension but 12:01 a.m. Dec 5th is normally considered to be the minute after midnight of Dec 4th. As in midnight Christmas Eve and New Years Eve as well known examples of the convention.

This gives me two extra days to study the evolution of the Feb 9-10 snowstorm if I want to fine tune my forecast. ;)

I thought 12:00am midnight was considered the first minute of that day. So "midnight Dec. 5" means 12:00am Dec. 5.

Regardless, I still want it as 12:01am Dec. 5. You all aren't getting all of Saturday too lol

I thought 12:00am midnight was considered the first minute of that day. So "midnight Dec. 5" means 12:00am Dec. 5.

Regardless, I still want it as 12:01am Dec. 5. You all aren't getting all of Saturday too lol

Technically yes but it's a very confusing time because to some, it means the night at the end.

Archived