joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

maybe we can avoid the afternoon lake breeze like morch 2012.  50's and rain ugh.  good months to hit arizona coming up.. come back in july

I don't mind 50s at all in March. I just hope we don't have a bunch of days with a lake wind and rain.

We could use some more moisture though.

Pattern is way too progressive for a 2012 repeat. All kinds of storm systems in the mid to long range.

From LSX

Though still many days away...the pattern next week looks quite

ominous with meridional flow throughout the troposphere. This

would in turn supply much of the lower and mid-Mississippi Valley

with tons of Gulf moisture. If the baroclinic zone does not

progress much southeastward through the week...there will be more

than enough rain to cause problems across the region as round

after round of showers w/ possible embedded convection could

affect many of the same areas.

I don't mind 50s at all in March. I just hope we don't have a bunch of days with a lake wind and rain.

We could use some more moisture though.

Pattern is way too progressive for a 2012 repeat. All kinds of storm systems in the mid to long range.

we will until we die or move

While the sample size was small, it seems strong-very strong ninos are more often than not followed by La Niña of varying strength. The strong El Niño of 1972-1973 was followed by a strong La Niña during the winter of 1973-1974, the very strong El Niño of 1982-1983, was followed by a weak La Niña, and the very strong Nino of 1997-1998 was follow by a moderate La Niña 1998-1999. If the CFS were to be believed plotting these potential "analogs" yields a warm And wet eastern 1/3 of the country with near normal anomalies in he nations midsection. Plotting these 3 years yields these results temperature and precip patterns respectively:

post-5916-0-27961800-1457196669_thumb.pn

post-5916-0-91880400-1457196719_thumb.pn

It looks like today will be the last day of true winter-like weather for this subforum, excluding any frosts/freezes you all get through April. The March 2012 repeat calls last month were pretty good. It looks like the next two weeks will definitely come close regarding warm anomalies. Widespread 60s and 70s are expected next week, and perhaps even warmer weather for the week following (March 12-19). Spring is here ands it is following the calendar this year.

It looks like today will be the last day of true winter-like weather for this subforum, excluding any frosts/freezes you all get through April. The March 2012 repeat calls last month were pretty good. It looks like the next two weeks will definitely come close regarding warm anomalies. Widespread 60s and 70s are expected next week, and perhaps even warmer weather for the week following (March 12-19). Spring is here ands it is following the calendar this year.

Yes!!!

While the sample size was small, it seems strong-very strong ninos are more often than not followed by La Niña of varying strength. The strong El Niño of 1972-1973 was followed by a strong La Niña during the winter of 1973-1974, the very strong El Niño of 1982-1983, was followed by a weak La Niña, and the very strong Nino of 1997-1998 was follow by a moderate La Niña 1998-1999. If the CFS were to be believed plotting these potential "analogs" yields a warm And wet eastern 1/3 of the country with near normal anomalies in he nations midsection. Plotting these 3 years yields these results temperature and precip patterns respectively:

Looks like one common element: SE ridge. Should result in an active winter with intermittent cold and warm periods. Totally up my alley. Cannot stand being "locked" in any crappy pattern.

It's nowhere near as warm as March 2012. My high temps will fall short by 20 degrees.

The cold look to the fantasy range GFS has me hoping we don't leaf out too fast in this region. Is anyone buying the cooler trends shown?

I'd say there's pretty good agreement that we'll pop an -EPO and at least the central part of the continent will get flooded with cold air. SE Ridge will have a say on the progress further east.

test8.gif

A cold shot looks fairly good, but it would be nice if it came with a storm. It would be hilarious if after all the moaning this winter if we ended up with normal snowfall :lol:

As you know, there is much more to winter than normal snowfall. Even if ORD manages to get 7" more this season and end up with normal snowfall, the winter grade would still be F or D-. A normal climo snowfall season gets a D (because our snow climo is horrible to begin with)...and then lack of snow cover and cold drops it to D- or F.

Either way, the moaning would be justified. You make it sound like a normal snowfall season implies that everyone should be happy...with no other considerations. I could be naive...but I will never understand this. This is a forum where many people love winter, and aren't content with "normal".

Looks like a good -EPO pattern coming up in 7-10 days. Hopefully it will have some staying power and produce some snow, like you said. :)

As you know, there is much more to winter than normal snowfall. Even if ORD manages to get 7" more this season and end up with normal snowfall, the winter grade would still be F or D-. A normal climo snowfall season gets a D (because our snow climo is horrible to begin with)...and then lack of snow cover and cold drops it to D- or F.

Either way, the moaning would be justified. You make it sound like a normal snowfall season implies that everyone should be happy...with no other considerations. I could be naive...but I will never understand this. This is a forum where many people love winter, and aren't content with "normal".

Looks like a good -EPO pattern coming up in 7-10 days. Hopefully it will have some staying power and produce some snow, like you said. :)

You are preaching to the choir. I mentioned it because there does seem to be a fairly large number who look at snowfall total as a big factor in winter. I personally would grade a winter with below normal snowfall but above average snowcover much higher than a winter with normal snowfall but below normal snowcover. This winter wasn't bad at all for a strong nino. But it was not an enjoyable winter.

Archived