Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2015-16 Medium-Long Range Discussion

OHweather

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

wow,

let's see if this actually translates into something good for us.

Bad feeling that we go real dry in LR. Same old warm & wet then cold & dry pattern. I love when people talk about how if all this rain was snow BS. Newsflash it's not & it would never be as much precipitation in a colder scenario. Ok, I know this rant belongs in a different thread. I digress.....

Bad feeling that we go real dry in LR. Same old warm & wet then cold & dry pattern. I love when people talk about how if all this rain was snow BS. Newsflash it's not & it would never be as much precipitation in a colder scenario. Ok, I know this rant belongs in a different thread. I digress.....

definitely a possibility

I sure as heck hope not.. ugh  Neutral fine.

I'm not sold on a negative NAO yet...probably more neutral which might be better for our sub as a whole, (although being further east I'd prefer a tad negative but neutral is workable).   The AO on the other hand looks like it's very likely to head into negative territory.  I guess the question becomes how will all this translate.  

post-622-0-61804600-1451398245_thumb.jpg

post-622-0-45485600-1451398259_thumb.jpg

I'm not sold on a negative NAO yet...probably more neutral which might be better for our sub as a whole, (although being further east I'd prefer a tad negative but neutral is workable).   The AO on the other hand looks like it's very likely to head into negative territory.  I guess the question becomes how will all this translate.  

Even a neutral NAO will do nothing for us with the strongly +PNA.

Now if I were in Boston, I'd be jumping up for joy. 

Models have really backed off on the extent/duration of the cold later this week and this weekend.

In fact, they return us back to above average temps by next week.

A little unnerving to see the euro bring back upper 40's to near 60 to the OV and parts of the sub on day 9 and a rain event day 10. Especially with all indices lining up in almost perfect fashion for cold.

Not just the euro, but the ggem looks equally as bad, if not worse.   Is it just a matter of being patient with a torturously slow step down, or is this going to be a Lucy holding the football pattern change?

The pattern around mid month looks much better than the next 10 days show. With the AO going negative, the NAO going slightly negative, and PNA remaining positive the cold shouldn't be an issue around mid month. With wide open lakes with record setting temperatures anything is possible! ^_^

Euro Ensembles:

post-2035-0-89395400-1451345985.jpg

GFS Ensembles:

gfs_z500a_nhem_51.png

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

pna.sprd2.gif

The dream set-up?

1872644_orig.png

opIQKYv.png

The pattern around mid month looks much better than the next 10 days show. With the AO going negative, the NAO going slightly negative, and PNA remaining positive the cold shouldn't be an issue around mid month. With wide open lakes with record setting temperatures anything is possible! ^_^

Euro Ensembles:

GFS Ensembles:

The dream set-up?

Wouldn't we want at least some semblance of a southeast ridge....otherwise this is a KY to midatlantic dream set up.

The lakes will turn on, but anyone away from the lakes is going to get next to nothing. Cold and dry boredom.

At least we can run into one with cold temps in place, instead of the low shooting up to our west and having a repeat of the last two systems. We have 9 months of guaranteed above freezing temps.

Well the entire forum is below normal snowfall aside from northwest Chicago and Wisconsin. Give us the cold air and worry about the details later.

Yeah, I can't imagine worrying about anything after the last 6 weeks. The eastern side of North American winter sports industry has probably lost billions already. We have resorts begging for cash on gofundme.

http://www.saultthisweek.com/2015/12/21/an-appeal-from-searchmont-resort

At least we can run into one with cold temps in place, instead of the low shooting up to our west and having a repeat of the last two systems. We have 9 months of guaranteed above freezing temps.

The problem is, that pattern isn't conducive for "running into one" it is a very suppressed look.

I would be depressed about this upcoming pattern if I didn't luck out with this last storm. One storm can change one's outlook on the weather pattern quickly.

I'm surprised anyone's surprised/caught off guard that the models have backed off on the cold for the first 10 days of January. They're usually too quick to jump on board the cold train.

Most people expected the true flip to happen in mid-January. The usual suspects (such as JB) got too excited and let their excitement get in the way of forecasting

Well the entire forum is below normal snowfall aside from northwest Chicago and Wisconsin. Give us the cold air and worry about the details later.

Milwaukee is actually above normal. 16.5" current through today, 12.4" normal through today. The storm in Nov, and yesterday accounted for all but .4 of it. Lol

Those are just numbers and letters. How it translates downstream may not quite match up. Frankly, I see a neutral EPO/NAO/AO in terms of results.

All the teleconnections he listed, combined, strongly implies an overbearing eastern trough. I'd be interested to see a case where we had a +PNA, -EPO, -AO, and -NAO where that isn't the case

A little unnerving to see the euro bring back upper 40's to near 60 to the OV and parts of the sub on day 9 and a rain event day 10. Especially with all indices lining up in almost perfect fashion for cold.

Not just the euro, but the ggem looks equally as bad, if not worse.   Is it just a matter of being patient with a torturously slow step down, or is this going to be a Lucy holding the football pattern change?

I've been looking at that timeframe also. I makes no sense, luckily the ensembles don't look as mild.

Not even touching the EURO, based off its crappy performance handling that storm!

Good lord, the CMC looks cold 9 days from now.

gem_T2m_nhem_37.png

Archived