• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 16-18 Storm System

Hoosier

3mb from being a bomb. Shame there's essentially no instability up to our latitude. But at least there'll be severe storms to track.

Would be pretty funny (or sad) to get a system like this and not have any severe threat in our area, but it's looking like that may be the case.  I'm just hoping for earlier phasing...not holding my breath, but we are far enough out to where it could get a bit better (or worse lol) from that perspective.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would be pretty funny (or sad) to get a system like this and not have any severe threat in our area, but it's looking like that may be the case.  I'm just hoping for earlier phasing...not holding my breath, but we are far enough out to where it could get a bit better (or worse lol) from that perspective.

With the strength of the LLJ combined with its lack of urgency to move, it's ironic that the problems up here are moisture and a narrow warm sector... again. Some pretty good dew points down south though.

With the strength of the LLJ combined with its lack of urgency to move, it's ironic that the problems up here are moisture and a narrow warm sector... again. Some pretty good dew points down south though.

Yeah, that narrow warm sector is never a good thing as far as getting a more widespread threat.  At least decent dews do eventually make it north, though in a relatively narrow area.  Mid level lapse rates don't look good.  ECMWF does have a bit of instability but not much.  Wind fields should be very strong so maybe a low end threat in a best case scenario.

Assuming no big changes in the models, could have a fairly decent period where we get close to wind advisory criteria again or possibly even reach criteria, initially with winds out of the southeast on Tuesday before becoming more southerly/southwesterly.  Low level lapse rates are not very good on Tuesday, but they do get better on Wednesday.  Loving these low level lapse rate maps on COD...really a quick and dirty way to look at potential all at once over a large area.

IWX comments on the moisture

WATER VAPOR SHOWS MAIN SHORT WAVE ENERGY RESPONSIBLE FOR MID WEEK  SYSTEM CURRENTLY OVER THE EASTERN PACIFIC OFF THE WEST COAST. THIS  ENERGY WILL EVENTUALLY MOVE INTO THE SOUTHWEST CONUS AS ADDITIONAL  ENERGY FEEDING INTO IT WILL CARVE OUT AN UPPER LOW NEAR THE FOUR  CORNERS REGION MONDAY NIGHT. MASSIVE...IMPRESSIVE AND LIKELY RECORD  MOISTURE PLUME EXPECTED TO SURGE NORTH FROM GOMEX TO THE ARCTIC  CIRCLE TUESDAY AND WEDNESDAY. STRENGTHENING LOW LEVEL JET WILL TAP  THE OCEANIC TRIFECTA WITH PACIFIC...GOMEX AND ATLANTIC MOISTURE ALL  CONVERGING AND SURGING NORTHWARD AHEAD OF THIS SYSTEM. WATER VAPOR  AND ANALYSIS SHOWS THIS MOISTURE ALREADY IN PLACE SO GFS AND EVEN  LATE PERIOD NAM RECORD PWATS AROUND 1.50 INCHES INTO THE MIDWEST AND  GREAT LAKES REGION APPEAR REASONABLE AND LIKELY. PRECIPITABLE WATER  CLIMATOLOGY INDICATES THESE WOULD BE RECORD VALUES FOR MID TO LATE  NOVEMBER AND OVER 300 PERCENT OF NORMAL THROUGH THE MISSISSIPPI AND  GREAT LAKES REGIONS.  

Huge area of 60-75kts 850mb winds over michigan on the 12z euro, a bit less on the 12z gfs (but it still has more catchup to play with the euro still). might be interesting for a brief period of time depending how this all works out.

Mixing potential looks very questionable, especially Tue night/Wed morning, but the GFS even has 950 mb winds (that's like the height of the Willis Tower in Chicago) of 40-50 kts so if that pans out, just having shallow mixing would make things pretty gusty at the surface. 

What's your take on how those gust maps did last time? I didn't do a thorough analysis or anything but it seems to me like subtracting about 5 mph worked out.

They were decent. About a 5mph reduction sounds about right, especially off the GFS...As the NAM seemed to do a bit better than the GFS.

Archived