joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think those totals for low lands are generous. Eastern areas which high the higher elevation usually do better. One thing about LES is its so hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think 1 inch area wide is a safe bet for everyone in SWPA and most will probably get a bit more so the 1-2 is warranted imo. This isn't a pure LES event either as we have a shortwave moving through and a front.

I ended up with about 1/3 - 1/2 inch at home. Drive in to Greenburg revealed only about a dusting. I thought an inch area wide would be pretty achievable given the setup, oh well onto next week to see if we can get something to go our way. At least there is now the possibility of something to track which is better than Dec, I just hope we don't end up cold and dry then relax into a warmer and wet pattern again.

Was just a bout to post this. If this slows down a bit to allow the cold air to press in ahead of it could be a legitimate shot at some frozen. The storm cutting into the Midwest over the weekend could play the part of a spoiler though.

We all must be desperate... I was just about to post same thing... Too bad not much snow at this point but good track

Here is the 00z Euro from last night, looks close to the 12z GFS,Verbatim tracks to far west, but if we had cold in place this would probably be a classic SWPA slop storm. At 6-7 day lead time though with the eventual evolution being highly dependent on how the weekend midwest low plays out not much can be said other than a potential exists in that time frame.

post-328-0-87782000-1451926822_thumb.jpg

And here is the GEM, similar to 00z Euro in that the track would be more liquid with some wrap around snow.

post-328-0-45262200-1451930786_thumb.jpg

Knowing our luck, the first storm will pummel the west including the NE Ohio border and the second will ride up the eastern seaboard.

And just to make matters worse, after that the pattern breaks down and we see more Dec type indices .Nuetral to Postitive NAO \ EPO \ AO.  GEFS and EPS starting to indicated by week 3 things start to go back to the above normal territory. Hopefully its wrong or at the very least brief as by then we will moving into the first week of Feb. I wouldn't  jump off a cliff yet, but it is disheartening to see signs the pattern may be breaking down already but if we can score a good storm it won't matter, at the very least some decent cold is on the way.

If only there was arctic air in place for the storm. Looks like it will be a rain storm with cold air following behind it but the even the cold air has been scaled back.

This storm wont be sampled until Thu 0z.  Still hope for positive changes.

This per accuweather poster

I think the GEFS is catching on to this secondary system having more juice than originally anticipated. 

I like looking at trends on the SREF mean/members, especially for the 500 mb height / vort products.

Comparing the most recent 09 and 21z SREF runs there appears to be the same consensus forming with the pair of compact preceding shortwaves going negative tilt and boosting up the eastern ridge by the 9th. At the same time, the newer SREF is also suggesting a a deeper, less positive tilt western trough and some of the members even have closed 500 mb low near the 4 corners region.

Archived