SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had several louds crashes of thunder and lightening last night! Pretty crazy for this time of year. I've got dandolions popping up in my yard and varios trees have buds on them, not to mention the grass is growing! 

Anyways Merry Christmas everyone! Looks like things might start to get interesting as we head into the new year if current modeling is correct.

Merry Christmas everyone! Now that the Thunderstorms and warmth is going to be heading out I will see you all on here next week so we can start tracking the big storms in Jan and Feb.  :santa:

Some potential for early next week Mon/Tue.  Seems to be trending in the right direction.  Still some work to do, but could be a mixed bag.

Merry Christmas all

post-26143-1450994534_thumb.jpg

I'm perfectly fine with the mild weather if it's not going to snow. Cold with little nuisance snows does nothing for me. That's basically what we had the past couple of winters. Walking around without a jacket on has been quite enjoyable so far.

Sent from my SM-G920P

I'm with you. It must be getting older, but I rather it be warm then cold and snowy. I like to get a huge storm, but hate the 3" here, 4" here, 2" here crap.

Sent from my iPhone

yea the mountain itself wasn't too bad-but a few miles DOWN the mountain into Hopwood-and they had a ton of tree and home damage I saw today.  Huge trees totally blown out of the ground with shallow roots and all....weird crazy!!!  Hopwood is typically the wind tunnel between Uniontown and Farmington/places on the mountain.....now lets get this pattern changed for good and see what we can get! :whistle:  :snowing:

Looking forward to the start of January. Hopefully the pattern being advertised by the GEFS actually comes to fruition. The warm weather was nice, but I'm starting to miss the snow so I'll gladly even take some seasonal temps and a 1-2 LES event but really hoping we can get a bigger storm too and longer range the pattern looks favorable to support something bigger so we shall see.

Pretty brutal that when it was warm, we had the moisture... then once it gets on the colder side, it's bone dry. I suppose that could change.

I wouldn't get too worked up about it. The OP models are probably having a hard time dealing with this massive pattern change. We have a negative AO, negative/neutral NAO, positive PNA,and a negative EPO and WPO coming. I like our chances as we stand. Until then maybe we can get a sneaky clipper. Those like to show up last minute sometimes.

First WWA of the Season

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA952 PM EST THU DEC 31 2015MDZ001-OHZ040-041-049-050-059-PAZ007-008-013>015-020>022-029-031-073-075-WVZ001>004-510-512>514-010600-/O.EXA.KPBZ.WW.Y.0001.000000T0000Z-160101T0600Z/GARRETT-CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-HARRISON-JEFFERSON OH-BELMONT-MERCER-VENANGO-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-CLARION-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-WASHINGTON-GREENE-WESTMORELAND-FAYETTE-HANCOCK-BROOKE-OHIO-MARSHALL-RIDGES OF EASTERN MONONGALIA AND NORTHWESTERN PRESTON-EASTERN PRESTON-WESTERN TUCKER-EASTERN TUCKER-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...OAKLAND MD...CARROLLTON...SALEM...CADIZ...STEUBENVILLE...ST. CLAIRSVILLE...GROVE CITY...FRANKLIN...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...CLARION...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...WASHINGTON...WAYNESBURG...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...UNIONTOWN...WEIRTON...BETHANY...WHEELING...MOUNDSVILLE...COOPERS ROCK...TERRA ALTA...ROWLESBURG...HAZELTON...PARSONS...HENDRICKS...SAINT GEORGE...DAVIS...THOMAS...CANAAN VALLEY952 PM EST THU DEC 31 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST FRIDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN PITTSBURGH HAS ISSUED A WINTERWEATHER ADVISORY FOR FREEZING DRIZZLE AND LIGHT SNOW...IN EFFECTUNTIL 1 AM EST FRIDAY.* ICE ACCUMULATION...A LIGHT GLAZE ON SOME EXPOSED SURFACES.* SNOW ACCUMULATION...UP TO ONE-QUARTER INCH SNOW AT HIGHEST  ELEVATIONS.* SNOW/ICE BEGINNING...ONGOING.* SNOW/ICE ENDING...AFTER MIDNIGHT.* IMPACTS...SLICK SPOTS ON UNTREATED OR UNPAVED ROADS AND  EXPOSED SURFACES.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT PERIODS OF FREEZING DRIZZLEAND LIGHT SNOW MAY CAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. BE PREPARED FORSLIPPERY ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITY AND USE CAUTION WHILEDRIVING.&&$$

It's something.
ALTHOUGH OUT OF RANGE FOR HI-RES MODELS...NAM AND GFS BOTH SUGGEST
A MULTI-LAKE FETCH THAT WILL YIELD SNOW BANDS AFFECTING THE
FORECAST AREA. IN ADDITION...THE BTV SNOW SQUALL PARAMETER IS
PRESENTING QUITE-POTENT VALUES SUGGESTING THE POTENTIAL FOR SNOW
SQUALLS SUNDAY NIGHT INTO MONDAY AS UPWARD MOTION INCREASES WITH
THE PASSAGE OF THE UPPER TROUGH. IN PARTICULAR...SNOW SQUALLS
COULD AFFECT THE GREATER PITTSBURGH AREA INTO EASTERN OHIO BY MID-
MORNING MONDAY FOR A FEW HOURS.

It's something.

namconus_ref_eus_12.png
namconus_ref_eus_11.png

namconus_ref_eus_10.png

namconus_ref_eus_9.png

It's something.

Looks like a Huron connection with above normal lake temperatures. Best chance at getting accumulating snow thus far this season.

Love your avatar btw, did you ever play the Snow Bros game on the Sega Genesis? It was one of my favorites.

Looks like a Huron connection with above normal lake temperatures. Best chance at getting accumulating snow thus far this season.

Love your avatar btw, did you ever play the Snow Bros game on the Sega Genesis? It was one of my favorites.

Thanks! I had never played or heard of the game until I googled it. I recently moved here from DC and used to discuss weather with some weather enthusiasts on the Capital Weather Gang blog. Us snow lover used to call ourselves "Snow Bros", so one day I decided to google it and see what came up.

Well, well, well..  

CXyCyCdWkAAm3HU.png

Looking good. To bad the best will happen after midnight, but it will be nice to wake up to a white ground hopefully! I think everyone should get at least a solid inch, but as with lake enhancement someone in a narrow band could hit the lottery and end up with 3 or more inches even outside the typical areas.

I think those totals for low lands are generous. Eastern areas which high the higher elevation usually do better. One thing about LES is its so hit and miss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeing the short term models gives some hope for atleast an inch. But just like mid november 2014 there's always a chance for a strong band that drops 3+

Archived