• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

I looked up the snowfall history for Pittsburgh. Only 4 times in our history have we gone an entire month of December with just a trace of snowfall. Only once we had no measurable snowfall at all. We're at a trace right now. Not sure when that happened exactly, but that's what is listed. We might have a shot at some LES this upcoming weekend and then temps go back up again after that. I think no matter what, we're going to end up seeing one of the driest Decembers ever in terms of snowfall. Personally, I have yet to see a snowflake so far. I have never gone this late in any year without at least seeing flurries at some point. Again, I say personally since I know some of you have seen some flakes. I just haven't yet. El Nino is definitely doing a number on us so far.

I am just hoping we can salvage a big storm or two in Jan and Feb. Most of December snows are usually nuisance cold and nickles and dimes anyway. Bring on a 10-12 inch snowfall and December will be forgotten.  

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Crazy AO+ spike incoming? I'm wondering if we end up touching 80 this month or next. I'm also wondering if we'll even manage 20" this season, though of course one well-timed storm can cut into the deficit pretty quick. We were bound to pay for the last two cold winters at some point.

honestly extreme cold does nothing for me. Give me a 8+ storm of heavy snow, not that super clipper like last year, and I will be satisfied.

honestly extreme cold does nothing for me. Give me a 8+ storm of heavy snow, not that super clipper like last year, and I will be satisfied.

I'm the same way. I've always said that I hate the nickel and dime stuff and hate extreme cold. We had plenty of both the past two winters. If we end up with a mild winter and one good significant storm somewhere in the middle, I'll be fine with that.

I am just hoping we can salvage a big storm or two in Jan and Feb. Most of December snows are usually nuisance cold and nickles and dimes anyway. Bring on a 10-12 inch snowfall and December will be forgotten.  

I only brought that up for historical purposes. Just something to share with you guys since it's been such a slow start to the season. You know I'll take the big storm somewhere along the way and not care too much about the rest of the winter. I've always said that. I hated the past two winters with the bitter cold and nickel and dime stuff. If we get nothing in December and get lucky somewhere along the way with a big one, I'm more than fine with that. I'm not holding my breath but I'll keep hoping and tracking anyway like the rest of you.

Yeah I'm not big on the extreme cold either, but I'd still like it to be seasonal.  60 degrees on Christmas does not feel like Christmas to me.  I like it to feel festive with the white stuff (or, if not, at least be "normal" temps).  I'd be okay with 30s-40s all winter so long as snow stayed in the picture.

Yes just some flurries. According  to HRRR model we should see some snow showers between 7 and 10 tonight which may bring a coating.

I'd welcome that at this point.. One of the things I have missed by not having any LES is watching snow showers \ squalls move through at night as the snow falls in the porch and street lights. I've always loved that, even as kid while my Dad yelled at me to quite turning the flood lights on and off lol. At least feels like winter out there today, and that cold air has refreshing scent.

Maybe some light at the end of the tunnel starting to show up for late December and early January to a less hostile pattern for anything frozen.

Jeffv is awful on kdka. He was talking about how on Saturday there will be flurry activity up off the lakes in western ny. Now I know that isn't local, but once again is extraordinarily irresponsible in the case of someone traveling there tonight into tomorrow as they are expecting a fairly major lake effect event.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

713 PM EST FRI DEC 18 2015

OHZ041-049-050-058-059-068-069-PAZ007>009-013>016-020>023-029-031-

073>076-WVZ001>004-012-021-509-510-190315-

GUERNSEY-MONROE-HARRISON-BELMONT-NOBLE-JEFFERSON-COLUMBIANA-

JEFFERSON-FAYETTE

RIDGES-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-MERCER-LAWRENCE-GREENE-INDIANA-

ALLEGHENY-FAYETTE-ARMSTRONG-FOREST-BEAVER-WESTMORELAND

RIDGES-VENANGO-CLARION-BUTLER-MARION-MARSHALL-RIDGES OF EASTERN

MONONGALIA AND NORTHWESTERN

PRESTON-HANCOCK-OHIO-MONONGALIA-BROOKE-WETZEL-

713 PM EST FRI DEC 18 2015

...A SNOW SQUALL WILL AFFECT MOST OF WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA...NORTHERN

WEST VIRGINIA...AND PORTIONS OF EASTERN OHIO...

AT 708 PM EST...A LINE OF INTENSE SNOW SQUALLS WAS ALONG A LINE

EXTENDING FROM NEAR FRANKLIN PENNSYLVANIA TO JUST WEST OF NEW

MARTINSVILLE WEST VIRGINIA. MOVEMENT WAS EAST AT 20 MPH.

LOCATIONS IMPACTED WITHIN THE NEXT THREE HOURS INCLUDE...

PITTSBURGH...PENN HILLS...MOUNT LEBANON...BETHEL PARK...ROSS

TOWNSHIP...MORGANTOWN...WHEELING...MCCANDLESS TOWNSHIP...

MONROEVILLE...CRANBERRY...MOON TOWNSHIP...NEW CASTLE...MCMURRAY...

GREENSBURG...WEIRTON...MCKEESPORT...FAIRMONT...STEUBENVILLE...INDIANA

AND BUTLER.

THIS INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING HIGHWAYS...

INTERSTATE 68 IN WEST VIRGINIA.

INTERSTATE 70 IN OHIO BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 199 AND 225.

INTERSTATE 70 IN WEST VIRGINIA.

INTERSTATE 70 IN PENNSYLVANIA BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 0 AND 57.

PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 1 AND 88.

INTERSTATE 77 IN OHIO BETWEEN MILE MARKERS 18 AND 21.

INTERSTATE 79 IN PENNSYLVANIA AND WEST VIRGINIA.

INTERSTATE 80 IN PENNSYLVANIA.

INTERSTATE 279 IN PENNSYLVANIA.

INTERSTATE 376 IN PENNSYLVANIA.

VISIBILITIES WILL LOCALLY DROP QUICKLY TO LESS THAN A QUARTER OF A

MILE IN THIS SQUALL...AND ROADS WILL RAPIDLY BECOME ICY.

USE EXTRA CAUTION IF YOU MUST TRAVEL INTO OR THROUGH THIS DANGEROUS

SNOW SQUALL. RAPID CHANGES IN VISIBILITY AND POTENTIALLY SLICK ROADS

ARE LIKELY TO LEAD TO ACCIDENTS. CONSIDER DELAYING TRAVEL UNTIL THE

SQUALL PASSES YOUR LOCATION.

LAT...LON 4090 7881 3945 7993 3939 8020 3947 8071

3960 8085 3954 8104 3965 8145 3959 8158

4090 8061 4090 8052 4148 8017 4162 7983

4163 7896 4144 7896 4145 7906 4134 7909

4135 7908 4138 7897 4123 7871

TIME...MOT...LOC 0008Z 277DEG 18KT 4141 7977 3960 8124

$$

FRIES

Jeffv is awful on kdka. He was talking about how on Saturday there will be flurry activity up off the lakes in western ny. Now I know that isn't local, but once again is extraordinarily irresponsible in the case of someone traveling there tonight into tomorrow as they are expecting a fairly major lake effect event.

Completely agree. He said we'd only have flurries tonight here, but looks like much of the area is seeing some decent snow squalls.

Good call.

I'm not sure how well the HRRR verifies the rest of the year, but it does a solid job with snowfall.

Thanks. I think the timing of the snow showers always determines when the roads ice up. (Just after sunset and temps fall below 32) I still can't believe the element of surprise by the snowfall and the icy road conditions that are being reported by the local news stations tonight. I am not surprised because I knew it could happen and did. I think some of the local mets are just lazy. Joe Denardo or Bob Kudzma would have called this night perfectly. They would have said that there would be minor accumulations of a dusting to a 1/2 inch but watch out for "slick spots". I miss both of them. Instead we get Jeff V on Channel 2 that loves to say "just a few flurries" and looks like he doesn't even want to be there. I would rather read posts on here than watch local mets anymore. I wish Joe and Bob could come back  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  :cry:

Bridges in town got icy here.  Roads never got bad, to my knowledge.  Given what the weather will be like next week, I am happy with what we got tonight (just a coating).  Was coming down pretty good at one point.  

The 0z and 6z GFS op runs were brutal.  Left little hope into early January.

Record Report

SXUS71 KPBZ 232233 CCA

RERPIT

RECORD EVENT REPORT - CORRECTED

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

530 PM EST WED DEC 23 2015

...RECORD HIGH AND MEAN TEMPERATURE IN PITTSBURGH...

THE HIGH TEMPERATURE WAS 64 DEGREES. THIS BREAKS THE RECORD OF 63

FROM 1933. THE LOW WAS 47. THE MEAN TEMPERATURE WAS 56. THIS IS ALSO

A RECORD...SURPASSING THE MEAN OF 54 FROM 1900.

Archived