SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter 2015-2016

meatwad

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never understood how to interpret those plots. Does that mean that .5 inches of liquid are gonna fall as snow?

Yep.  If you look at the dark blue graph, each plot is a 3 hour time frame.  Its all snow starting late afternoon Sunday with a quick burst of snow.  Looks like around .3 of snow.  Based on how light the precip is for the midweek clipper, it looks to be really drawn out so doubt that would accumulate even though if you total up the snow it would be about .25 precip as snow.  So even though .564 of snow would accumulate about 5.5 inches, its doubtful we would get near that actually accumulate.

That's lookin good and IF that cold low is further east for Sunday-we'd be in great shape in just 2 days!...what happened to that pic you posted colonel?....or was that for NEXT Saturday?

I think I over emphasized how east the  EURO was.  I mistook the low over Virginia but there was a surface low in Ohio.   So it wasn't so east like I thought and there was nothing really to getting much more snow so I didn't want to mislead so I removed.

The teleconnections are all in absolute favorable positions.  If we can keep an active STJ I almost think this screams decent hit at some point.  The AO is tanking hard and that actually could mean suppression (which is what we're seeing now from the GFS).  An AO of this intensity reminds of the 09-10 winter.

But we have the MJO in phase 8 for the time being - could rotate into the COD briefly (for those unfamiliar Phases 8, 1, and 2 are best for east coast snow).  AO and NAO negative and comfortably so, along with a +PNA.  EPO is also negative but the forecast is a bit less certain (basically neutral).

Clippers are typically consistent for a couple inches so long as the low slides south of us.  I'm not too confident for our area in the southern forecast zone, but for you guys north of I-70 I'm sure are all in good position for now.  At least for the next couple weeks we could have storms to track, and that is better than nothing.  It has been boring out there since last March.

Man, it's fun to be back and to be paying attention to the models. Sat night/Sun is the classic heavy rain, dry slot, few wrap around snow showers. No biggie but still will be fun to see flakes flying. I make it a personal mantra not to look past 5 days, Wednesday looks like a boring cold front. Guess I can start considering next weekend about Tuesday.  

It's not for Monday-it's for Tuesday.....and tomorrow night could give us 1-3"

Id say more towards one but atleast its something. There is so much energy flying around next weekend. You would think one of them would give us a decent shot atleast moderate to heavy snow.

My local forecast here is still saying 1-3" for us tomorrow night into monday.....and I remember the graphic that was up pretty much showed all of SW PA in that zone.....Hoping that holds....no one seems to be mentioning tomorrow's possibility-I hope that trough digs harder-faster! :snowing:

Seems a bit high I think. I'm thinking more along the lines of coating to maybe an inch. Clipper right now looks like about 1 inch looking at the bufkit data from the NAM and GFS but still some time for that one to maybe get a little better (or worse :P) Beyond that there are just to many pieces of energy in the flow, which one ultimately becomes the dominant one and how it interacts will not be known for probably 5 more days so be prepared for a different outcome every 6 hours.

Archived