Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2015-16 Disco

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most forecasters are saying this will be a classic 2nd half El Niño winter. December, like most years, should be our month with the least snow.

I think the pattern will be back & forth, and we will have our chances for some snow in December, but Jan. & Feb. will certainly much better.. I also think this will be the year of the "Return of the Interior", & we here in CTP land fare better than our friends to the east. Our first chance might be on the table by next week.

Most forecasters are saying this will be a classic 2nd half El Niño winter. December, like most years, should be our month with the least snow.

I think the pattern will be back & forth, and we will have our chances for some snow in December, but Jan. & Feb. will certainly much better.. I also think this will be the year of the "Return of the Interior", & we here in CTP land fare better than our friends to the east. Our first chance might be on the table by next week.

Agreed but despite what is showing up for the first half of Dec, it appears to be a teaser and transient in nature.  Hope the recurving typhoon helps to shuffle the deck a bit as some are suggesting.  HM also sees a potential upwelling in the stratosphere which may also help to dislodge the cold.  Based on normal climo alone, most of us knew the Dec. was a crapshoot at best, let alone a Nino on roids, so no extra reminders needed.  Just sit back and enjoy your extended stay (as advertised of course) of warmth.  

My kids coming home from college (Juniata) tomorrow night, and I'll have 9 of us (3 generations) at my cabin this weekend, so I really don't care what happens (although next Tues/Wed does sound slightly intriguing).  We'll enjoy each others time and enjoy a break from the grind.  Happy Turk day all.

Nut

Hey all. Was thinking about making things a little more interesting in here since winter is coming up, but could be delayed due to the El Nino pattern. Was wondering if anyone would like to do a snowfall contest running from (January - March) where we would have 4 main airports and a tie breaker, similar to the Mid-Atlantic forum. I will make and update an excel file once everyone gives me their totals. I will also try to give recaps after larger events and after every month. I will also post snow totals as they occur for each airport. Here would be the 4 locations:

UNV:

MDT:

ABE:

JST:

Tiebreaker: Lowest temperature recorded at UNV for the Contest period

All the snow totals can go out to the tenths place and low temperature will be a whole number. I will tally up the results at the end of the year and announce the winner. The final results will be the absolute value of the error totaled. Lowest combined error wins. 

Whoever would want to try this out, just respond to this message. If more than 10 people want to do this, I'll open a contest thread. Thanks!! Can't wait to get this winter going. The LR pattern unfortunately doesn't yield too much promise at this time.

Hey all. Was thinking about making things a little more interesting in here since winter is coming up, but could be delayed due to the El Nino pattern. Was wondering if anyone would like to do a snowfall contest running from (January - March) where we would have 4 main airports and a tie breaker, similar to the Mid-Atlantic forum. I will make and update an excel file once everyone gives me their totals. I will also try to give recaps after larger events and after every month. I will also post snow totals as they occur for each airport. Here would be the 4 locations:

UNV:

MDT:

ABE:

JST:

All the snow totals can go out to the tenths place and low temperature will be a whole number. I will tally up the results at the end of the year and announce the winner. The final results will be the absolute value of the error totaled. Lowest combined error wins. 

Whoever would want to try this out, just respond to this message. If more than 10 people want to do this, I'll open a contest thread. Thanks!! Can't wait to get this winter going. The LR pattern unfortunately doesn't yield too much promise at this time.

Count me in if you get enough interest.  Thx

Nut

UNV:

MDT:

ABE:

JST:

I'm in!

UNV: 32"

MDT: 20"

ABE: 29"

JST: 68"

Tiebreaker: 10 degrees

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Will keep track as long as it takes. Once it's at 10, I'll start up a contest thread :D

Here's mine.

UNV: 46

MDT 29

ABE 38

JST: 51   (If airport use 65")

Tiebreaker : 9

Gave weight to inland areas (hope all you true central pa peeps are fed this year)...

Nut

Here's mine.

UNV:

MDT:

ABE:

JST:

Nut

UNV: 36

MDT 21

ABE 30

JST: 68

Tiebreaker : 4

Thanks for the responses so far guys. Will keep track as long as it takes. Once it's at 10, I'll start up a contest thread :D

I'll join in, one question.. JST the city or the official KJST site at the airport? There's a big difference between the two, KJST is at over 2200' and probably averages at least 80-90" a year while downtown is at 1100' and is more in the realm of 50 or so (49.96" per PA state climo office) for average snow. 

I'll join in, one question.. JST the city or the official KJST site at the airport? There's a big difference between the two, KJST is at over 2200' and probably averages 80-90" a year while downtown is at 1100' and is more in the realm of 50 or so (49.96" per PA state climo office) for average snow.

Was wondering the same thing

I'll join in, one question.. JST the city or the official KJST site at the airport? There's a big difference between the two, KJST is at over 2200' and probably averages at least 80-90" a year while downtown is at 1100' and is more in the realm of 50 or so (49.96" per PA state climo office) for average snow.

I'll join in as well!

Please let us know on the JST question,

Then I'll post my numbers.

It'll be the airport. Sorry for any confusion. If anyone wants to edit their responses, go right ahead. I'll be making an excel file soon since I'm easily getting over 10. Thanks everyone!!

Archived