• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA - Winter 2015-16 Disco

This weekend's event looks DOA to my eyes unfortunately. Cold air doesn't come close to beating the precip, so we rain around 40 then the temp spikes downward once it's finished.

Euro says not so fast... it brings temps down due to low deepening earlier (further south) than GFS run... still would need things to come together properly but I wouldn't call DOA just yet.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

meanwhile in Buffalo... SPECI KBUF 121734Z COR 25036G56KT 1/8SM R23/0600VP6000FT +TSSN BLSN OVC008CB M02/M04 A2950 RMK AO2 PK WND 25056/1734 TWR VIS 1/4 TSB26 OCNL LTGICCG NE-OHD-SW TS NE-OHD-SW MOV E P0000 T10221044

Thundersnow with a 64 mph gust at this ob around 12:30...

Euro says not so fast... it brings temps down due to low deepening earlier (further south) than GFS run... still would need things to come together properly but I wouldn't call DOA just yet.

i noticed the models starting to look a little better last night with throwing more weight on the coastal low's influence. As far as the 12z suite goes the Euro gets things cold quicker than the GFS. Either way temps are really marginal, this could initially favor elevations and interior PA if anybody. Euro did have several inches of snow in roughly the central third of PA. Both the GFS and Euro have a pretty significantly tilted 500 trough associated with this system, which is a plus for having a rapidly developing coastal and potentially an area of heavy precip rates (which could aid in a dynamic cooling scenario). 

MAG are you near any of the lightning that is showing up with that line?

I thought I had caught a flash outside out of the corner of my eye a little bit ago, but heard no thunder.. so can't say that I had any thundersnow. It's definitely the kind of squall that will could have it though. Which lightning map were you looking at?

I thought I had caught a flash outside out of the corner of my eye a little bit ago, but heard no thunder.. so can't say that I had any thundersnow. It's definitely the kind of squall that will could have it though. Which lightning map were you looking at?

RadarScope was showing lightning but it also looks as if the spots that had it are where the wind turbines are

The clouds have been completely pushed out overhead, it's blue skies completely. That's kinda weird actually.

That happened here last February. In fact, so far, today is nearly a carbon copy of that one. We had light snow off and on during the early afternoon, then it completely cleared right before sunset. About an hour and a half later, all hell broke loose when the squall hit and we picked up an inch in about 15 minutes.

That happened here last February. In fact, so far, today is nearly a carbon copy of that one. We had light snow off and on during the early afternoon, then it completely cleared right before sunset. About an hour and a half later, all hell broke loose when the squall hit and we picked up an inch in about 15 minutes.

IIRC that was the squall that dumped 3" here within 45 mins, at 5:20 or so. It destroyed commutes, like people were stranded for hours with cars stuck. It was crazy.

Archived