Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Winter 2015-16 Disco

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got some nice pictures of rimed ice this morning. Riming occurred on many surfaces due to the presence of supercooled water droplets, observable as freezing fog.

12341230_10156293186495273_7839753254705

Saw a few nice pictures from the area this morning. One of my favorite winter phenomena.

Also, on a personal note, I moved to Denver this past week, so my days in Central PA are over. I'll still be stopping in occasionally I'm sure, and I'll be back visiting pretty often. PA will always be home, but I'm glad for a new adventure that includes more interesting weather!

Mowed my grass yesterday. I can't remember the last time I've done that going back nearly 40 years of mowing. Grass was getting very tall and I wanted to get it trimmed down so that if we do get a couple of inches of snow later on it will all be covered. 

I mowed my grass yesterday as well. I did it the Monday before Thanksgiving, figuring it would be the last time for the year, but it grew and I ended up taking a half to three quarters of an inch off. It's the FIRST time I've ever had to cut grass in December.

Looks like yet another warmup on the way latter half of this week. Seeing up to 55 by next Sunday. F**k this.

This opening to winter so far has kind of reminded me of the 06-07 dead on arrival winter. I don't think MDT or LNS had their first measurable until like late January that winter if I recall correctly. Of course that one had the big second half turnaround and certainly some notable events (though that winter started out with a weaker nino that was fading quick). As it looks right now it might be Christmas week at best to maybe try to work a more favorable look to things, longer range models have shown some signs of at least dumping some cold into the US.. but certainly not an overly strong signal attm for such things as teleconnections don't look all that great and it's way out there range wise. Quite a work in progress, thats for sure. 

Well at least somebody's getting some snow, even if is going by #poopsnow.

Per CTP f-book this morning:

Even though the area is under high pressure, a localized area of light snow fell overnight just to the east of State College. As dense fog developed over the region, several tenths of snow fell over a roughly three square-mile area near the Nittany mall.

Dense fog was common over the area as temperatures fell into the mid 20s overnight. This led to slippery driving conditions on bridges and overpasses. However, in the small area indicated on the map below, additional moisture was added to the atmosphere by the natural condensation process of the local sewer treatment plant. 

The additional moisture precipitated as a light snow. Just beyond the yellow circle on the map, no accumulation was noted. This process would be considered a microscale event - too isolated to be captured by local weather reporting stations. The images below are from Shiloh Road near the Premiere 12 theaters.

Please use caution if you will be driving this morning as roads will remain slippery due to the dense fog and below freezing temperatures.

post-1507-0-38582900-1449550274_thumb.jp

post-1507-0-00036800-1449550303_thumb.jp

post-1507-0-51182400-1449550321_thumb.jp

It's hard to get enthused about our snow chances right now. Most of the red tags on the board seem less than enthusiastic for at least the next several weeks. 

Most experts have said for some that any snow of significance would come later rather than sooner. There's no reason to believe just yet that we won't cash in later in the season. We might very well not...but I still wouldn't bet against a lot of board traffic and storm mode or two as we head towards February or so...

I think it's premature to right off the winter entirely. From what I remember, the winter of '82-'83 was a dud...until the 2nd week of February. Suddenly, in a 24 hour period, I was helping my dad shovel over 2' of snow from our driveway. And the fact that the winter up until that time was completely forgettable, I'll always remember that blissful Friday. 

It's hard to get enthused about our snow chances right now. Most of the red tags on the board seem less than enthusiastic for at least the next several weeks. 

Most experts have said for some that any snow of significance would come later rather than sooner. There's no reason to believe just yet that we won't cash in later in the season. We might very well not...but I still wouldn't bet against a lot of board traffic and storm mode or two as we head towards February or so...

I think it's premature to right off the winter entirely. From what I remember, the winter of '82-'83 was a dud...until the 2nd week of February. Suddenly, in a 24 hour period, I was helping my dad shovel over 2' of snow from our driveway. And the fact that the winter up until that time was completely forgettable, I'll always remember that blissful Friday. 

Looking back at the snowfall data, 1982-1983 was an awful winter in State College with about 22" (about half our seasonal average). The most significant accumulations (> 10") from the KU storm on 10-12 February occurred for locations closer to the coast, as is often the case.

19830210-19830212-6.25.jpg

Looking back at the snowfall data, 1982-1983 was an awful winter in State College with about 22" (about half our seasonal average). The most significant accumulations (> 10") from the KU storm on 10-12 February occurred for locations closer to the coast, as is often the case.

19830210-19830212-6.25.jpg

1997-98 was better for them at least around average snowfall.

Here's a bit more perspective, as CTP shared this graphic on their Facebook page today. I had mentioned 06-07 in a post a couple days ago, and 07 makes a couple appearances in that. I hadn't realized State College recorded their latest ever inch of snow that winter all the way on Jan 29th. But yes, we are at a slow start this winter. We were just about in the same boat in December last winter except that we had a cold November and early snow. But we got quite a ways to go to approach some of those records. 

Also interesting, check out the year of the record latest inch of snow at York. They didn't record an inch of snow in the 92/93 winter until Feb 22! It's amazing how one (or two if you were far enough in central PA) gigantic storm(s) can turn ones perspective of a winter. 

post-1507-0-49284000-1449688039_thumb.pn

Archived