Newest Member
    joxey
Arabian Sea Cyclone Chapala

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rb0-lalo.gif

04AP.GIF

Appears to be deepening fast, will have a pinhole eye if it manages to clear out.

Hi Amped. I'm very unfamiliar with TCs in this part of the world, myself. Consequently, I will likely spend some time looking into the history of Cyclones in this region, as time permits.

Although I am always fascinated by any TC of hurricane-force...I'm very concerned about a MH strength system striking in that part of the world.

Off the top of your head, do you know what has been the most intense and/or most devastating TC in the general vicinity of where this system is expected to make landfall?

I made a post about it in the West Pacific thread ncforecaster89. Let's say cyclones in this area are pretty rare. Probably the better known example is cyclone Gonu, which strengthened to cat 5, before hitting eastern Oman as a cat 2.

Phet in 2010 was similar albeit slightly weaker.

I made a post about it in the West Pacific thread ncforecaster89. Let's say cyclones in this area are pretty rare. Probably the better known example is cyclone Gonu, which strengthened to cat 5, before hitting eastern Oman as a cat 2.

Thanks mxwx! I also just found and read this excellent article about the history of TCs in the Arabian Sea. It can be found at this link to TWC:

http://www.weather.com/storms/hurricane/news/cyclone-chapala-yemen-oman-arabian-peninsula

Edit: Very informative post you made in the WPAC thread, as well. Interesting, and very understandable, that Yemen has never experienced a recorded hurricane intensity landfall...with the rather arid and mountainous climate in this specific area. Will be praying for those who may be in harms way.

Hi Amped. I'm very unfamiliar with TCs in this part of the world, myself. Consequently, I will likely spend some time looking into the history of Cyclones in this region, as time permits.

Although I am always fascinated by any TC of hurricane-force...I'm very concerned about a MH strength system striking in that part of the world.

Off the top of your head, do you know what has been the most intense and/or most devastating TC in the general vicinity of where this system is expected to make landfall?

I am not familiar  with Arabian cyclone history.   Wikipedia shows cyclone Phet 2010, Gonu 2007 and The 1977 Oman cyclone.

I'm reading a lot of messages on social media suggesting a Cat 4 landfall. Although I'm just now familiarizing myself with this geographic area, I would be very surprised if TC Chapala crossed the coast at that kind of intensity, or anything above 100 kt., based on the arid and mountainous terrain its circulation will encounter prior to landfall.

This is looking a lot like a Patricia redux in many ways. The main similarities being the cyclones small size, it's prospective rapid intensification to Cat 5 strength, and the likelihood that it will be rapidly weakening in the last few hours preceding landfall. In addition, it's looking like we may very well see another historic and unprecedented TC landfall; this time in a completely different part of the world. Simply amazing! #El Nino

The recent ADT satellite estimates have leveled off over the past 2 hours after they brought it to 115 kt. Cat 4 intensity. Although the eye has continued to warm and clear out...it has been offset by a slight warming of the coldest cloud tops.

Here's the latest IR satellite image, along with the latest ADT estimated intensity graph:

post-6681-0-41626000-1446188890_thumb.gi

post-6681-0-29730000-1446188926_thumb.gi

I'm reading a lot of messages on social media suggesting a Cat 4 landfall. Although I'm just now familiarizing myself with this geographic area, I would be very surprised if TC Chapala crossed the coast at that kind of intensity, or anything above 100 kt., based on the arid and mountainous terrain its circulation will encounter prior to landfall.

This is looking a lot like a Patricia redux in many ways. The main similarities being the cyclones small size, it's prospective rapid intensification to Cat 5 strength, and the likelihood that it will be rapidly weakening in the last few hours preceding landfall. In addition, it's looking like we may very well see another historic and unprecedented TC landfall; this time in a completely different part of the world. Simply amazing! #El Nino

Note: I actually do have some operational experience in forecasting in this region.

Usually dry air entrainment from the Empty Quarter/extreme deserts to the north starts significantly impacting cyclones before direct terrain interaction can even really take a toll.This situation is a smidgen different as there is a desert front laid out over central Saudi and widespread southeast flow when it comes in for landfall with some "pooling" of moisture to the south, so the typical extremes are muted somewhat.

Eastern Yemen receives very little rainfall, even in the highlands, so it's possible that these areas will receive many years worth of average rainfall in a single day. With the lack of vegetation, erosion and slides will be incredible. It's less rugged the further east you go, so direct terrain degradation is likely to be slower than that experienced by Patricia. 

Note: I actually do have some operational experience in forecasting in this region.

Usually dry air entrainment from the Empty Quarter/extreme deserts to the north starts significantly impacting cyclones before direct terrain interaction can even really take a toll.This situation is a smidgen different as there is a desert front laid out over central Saudi and widespread southeast flow when it comes in for landfall with some "pooling" of moisture to the south, so the typical extremes are muted somewhat.

Eastern Yemen receives very little rainfall, even in the highlands, so it's possible that these areas will receive many years worth of average rainfall in a single day. With the lack of vegetation, erosion and slides will be incredible. It's less rugged the further east you go, so direct terrain degradation is likely to be slower than that experienced by Patricia. 

Its a very interesting setup.  IIRC, most of the big landfalls in this area were further west/north, i.e. Salalah had northerly winds.  There will be interesting orographics at play in the mountains up the coast.  It's late in the year for this sort of scenario, which is rare enough as-is.

Thanks, CS, for sharing your forecasting experience with the unique atmospheric and geographical environment in this particular region. I'm fascinated by it, and am very interested to see how this will ultimately play out from a meteorological and forecasting perspective.

Archived