• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
iCyclone & Patricia

2pm est.  I'm actually nervous for Josh and party.  This storm is insanely intense.  If he gets into the eyewall in one of these small towns there are just few safe options.  Hoping the worst can pass in daylight.  185mph winds at night in total darkness is a scary proposition. Long wait for rescue too which is miserable in itself , actually very dangerous if you get injured.  This will rival Taclaban City if he is in the right place.  Praying for your safety with this one....

Did he get in the eye?

not quite sure, he lost internet, satellite, etc... saw a bit of blue sky, but can't say with certainty if it was dry slot or edge of eastern wall - can't remember what his lowest pressure was, but not indicative of a center reading, imo - take that with whatever grain of salt needed as this is not an expert's opinion, but mine.  very good to hear they're ok & the story of huddling in the "safe room" with others during the worst winds (after his last contact with TWC yesterday)

not quite sure, he lost internet, satellite, etc... saw a bit of blue sky, but can't say with certainty if it was dry slot or edge of eastern wall - can't remember what his lowest pressure was, but not indicative of a center reading, imo - take that with whatever grain of salt needed as this is not an expert's opinion, but mine.  very good to hear they're ok & the story of huddling in the "safe room" with others during the worst winds (after his last contact with TWC yesterday)

Thank you for the report. Hopefully we hear more soon.

cool, tks - he spoke with them twice, they asked him to hold while they did a commercial - he said he was calling from a private residence's landline.  said they would venture out to explore areas of "possibly worse damage" than the area they were in

If I'm not mistaken, the 937 mb pressure he measured is the lowest he's ever observed!?!  Not to mention, he was likely in the RMW of another truly historic TC (whether the NHC keeps it as a category-five or downgrades it to a high-end category-four).  With his intercepts of Haiyan, Patricia, and Wilma...he has intercepted the eyewall of the most intense (Patricia and Wilma) or one of the most intense (Haiyan) TCs in the WPAC, EPAC, and NATL basins, respectively!  In each case, they still maintained "major" hurricane strength when he experienced them.   Very impressive, Josh! :)   

If I'm not mistaken, the 937 mb pressure he measured is the lowest he's ever observed!?!  Not to mention, he was likely in the RMW of another truly historic TC (whether the NHC keeps it as a category-five or downgrades it to a high-end category-four).  With his intercepts of Haiyan, Patricia, and Wilma...he has intercepted the eyewall of the most intense (Patricia and Wilma) or one of the most intense (Haiyan) TCs in the WPAC, EPAC, and NATL basins, respectively!  In each case, they still maintained "major" hurricane strength when he experienced them.   Very impressive, Josh! :)   

Very few people on the planet have ever done this. Much smaller club than say people who have climbed Everest. Maybe no one has been in so many eyewalls of major canes ever. Thinking about it without major technology it would be impossible and that is all very recent. Josh might be the only one to have done it. Great feat!!!!

Very few people on the planet have ever done this. Much smaller club than say people who have climbed Everest. Maybe no one has been in so many eyewalls of major canes ever. Thinking about it without major technology it would be impossible and that is all very recent. Josh might be the only one to have done it. Great feat!!!!

Honestly, I don't think it's quite accurate to say he's been in the eyewall of more MHs than any other person, yet...but he's quickly catching up!  There are/were others who have been (such as Mike Theiss, Richard Horodner, Michael Laca, and James Reynolds to name a few off the top of my head) or had been (in the case of the late Jim Leonard), who I believe have been in more MHs to date.  That said, no one can claim the remarkable distinction I noted in my previous post!

On a personal note, he's certainly surpassed my intercepts of just three MH eyewalls, to date. 

EDITED: To provide a list of a few chasers to the above text.

Honestly, I don't think it's quite accurate to say he's been in the eyewall of more MHs than any other person, yet...but he's quickly catching up!  There are/were others who have been or had been (in the case of the late Jim Leonard) who I believe have been in more MHs to date.  That said, no one can claim the remarkable distinction I noted in my previous post!

On a personal note, he's certainly surpassed my intercepts of just three MH eyewalls, to date. 

It's actually an interesting question.  Like who has climbed the most, highest mountains.  The last few years Josh has sure done a lot of chasing and gotten into some very intense storms.  I was thinking one way to rank chasers is to take all the average of their lowest pressures of each chase.  To be honest this is all silly.  It's the science and knowledge that is gained plus the first hand footage that the public gets to see to demonstrate how severe the inner core of these major storms are.  That's the important thing.

It's actually an interesting question. Like who has climbed the most, highest mountains. The last few years Josh has sure done a lot of chasing and gotten into some very intense storms. I was thinking one way to rank chasers is to take all the average of their lowest pressures of each chase. To be honest this is all silly. It's the science and knowledge that is gained plus the first hand footage that the public gets to see to demonstrate how severe the inner core of these major storms are. That's the important thing.

I agree. It's certainly not a competition for me and hope the same applies for others. That would severely take away from my appreciation for their accomplishments.

Back to your initial comment, very little doubt Josh has likely intercepted more major hurricanes than any other chaser during the past 4 years, if not longer. Most thankful he has not gotten injured during those chases...which is truly most important.

Archived