• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
October 27-29 Rainy/Windy System Potential

Hoosier

Been a long time since we've had a storm thread, but I guess that's to be expected when it's been so boring.  :(

Anyway, looking like a decent system may finally be on the way.  Hurricane Patricia will make landfall in Mexico sometime tomorrow and the remnants should eventually head toward the Gulf coast.  The remnants look to meander somewhere around Texas/Louisiana or just offshore until an incoming trough may interact and bring the system into our region.  Exactly how this interaction plays out remains to be seen but in any case, looks like a decent system on tap for the region with heavy rain possible for some areas with some wind potential if we get a deep enough system. 

For those looking for any sort of severe weather threat out of this, the modeled interaction with Patricia does not help as it leads to weak lapse rates aloft.  But there's time to watch this.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, here we go:

gfsUS_prec_precacc_201.gif

Projected rainfall's could cause a marginal flood threat across the area, especially Southern Indiana/Ohio, not the rainfall is relatively fast according to the 18Z GFS.

Also has some not too shabby winds:

jMXuyr5.gif

The real beauty is: The GFS shows the system weakening over the South, and restrengthening over Lake Michigan

gfsUS_sfc_temp_144.gif

Anyone see the tropical system toward the end of the month on the fantasy land 6z GFS?  Makes landfall in south TX and then moves toward us.  Would be pretty late in the season to get a landfalling system that far west so that combined with the long range = low chance of it happening

I saw that as well. Will be interested to see how that evolves. Especially with that trough progged to dig out of the Rockies at the same time.

Kudos to the fantasy land 6z GFS for sniffing this out a week ago.  It also sniffed out the northern stream trough.

Also props to Ryan and Danny for bringing to light the possibilities.  It will be fun to see how this plays out.

Kudos to the fantasy land 6z GFS for sniffing this out a week ago.  It also sniffed out the northern stream trough.

Also props to Ryan and Danny for bringing to light the possibilities.  It will be fun to see how this plays out.

To be honest, I stopped paying attention to it, but I think it's happening a bit differently than originally shown (initially was supposed to be development in the Gulf without EPAC involvement).  But we may end up with a very similar result to what was advertised way back.  :D

To be honest, I stopped paying attention to it, but I think it's happening a bit differently than originally shown (initially was supposed to be development in the Gulf without EPAC involvement).  But we may end up with a very similar result to what was advertised way back.  :D

Yeah, I don't think that it was supposed to be a result of Typhoon remnants, but we'll take it.

this is turning out to be historic in its own rite. I am not a hurricane hobbyist so I don't know the thermodynamics as well as I do the Midwest weather, but one has to obviously make the connection that the Nino sst's down there are the obvious cause for the rapid explosion in the last 24 hours, right? I know this thread is for the remnants next week but thought I would post the below as it's relevant. Sorry if not. From NWS on fb:

From TWCon the web:

Sent from my iPhone

The SSTs are above average in the area where Patricia is...and this is something that various people have been mentioning in regards to this upcoming winter.  Not only are the ENSO regions boiling, but areas outside of the ENSO regions are also running warmer than average.  You need basically everything to go right to get a storm like this but the anomalously warm SSTs are likely giving it an extra boost.

Yeah, I don't think that it was supposed to be a result of Typhoon remnants, but we'll take it.

Yeah, the models showed "something" brewing in that time frame. Can give it at least that much credit. lol

12z GFS/GGEM both look lost to me. Both initialized much weaker (GFS 984mb, GGEM 998mb) than the current 880mb. While the GGEM does track across Mexico, I noticed the GFS does not. It makes it to the Mexico coast and then turns northwest up the coast toward CA. It has another low develop off the east coast of Mexico which helps turn into our rainmaker. Much to be worked out still.

12z GFS/GGEM both look lost to me. Both initialized much weaker (GFS 984mb, GGEM 998mb) than the current 880mb. While the GGEM does track across Mexico, I noticed the GFS does not. It makes it to the Mexico coast and then turns northeast up the coast toward CA. It has another low develop off the east coast of Mexico which helps turn into our rainmaker. Much to be worked out still.

Wouldn't worry too much about the pressure...the lower res models aren't going to be able to nail it and this is a pretty small storm to begin with. 

I'm interested to see if the surface reflection will actually survive all the way across Mexico.  Lots of hostile terrain and the relatively small size of the storm probably doesn't help but this one may have a better shot than most just because of how strong it is currently and it shouldn't stall out.

Archived