• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

I still don't see any reports from areas that experienced the inner core. And iCyclone still hasn't reported in.

He was on TWC.  He said his hotel was largely blown apart.  He ended up with seven other people huddling in a small bathroom under a mattress.  He said it was like being in a tornado for 20 minutes.  

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was on TWC.  He said his hotel was largely blown apart.  He ended up with seven other people huddling in a small bathroom under a mattress.  He said it was like being in a tornado for 20 minutes.  

Sounds like he had quite a trip then. Worth his time at least for sure, I would think...

Very glad he was ok.

I just noticed a message from the resort west of Punta Perula (Las Alamandes) that I had mentioned yesterday. They say that they fortunately suffered minimal damages and that everyone there was okay, but there was apparently more significant damage in what they call "nearby villages" which would probably mean Punta Perula, San Mateo and possibly Cayeres (which is where I would expect any catastrophic damage to be most possible). From that language, I infer that there was no huge disaster but significant property losses. It was probably very fortunate if the core came in east of Punta Perula because had they been in the forward section, that entire town of about two or three thousand could have been swept off their exposed location. San Mateo is more inland, and Cayeres seems to consist mainly of a few upscale concrete-type resort villages -- those seem to be a bit less likely to be blown apart in very strong winds than any other construction form.

So it's wait and see on details, maybe Josh will have some later.

That is why I said a Cat 5 is a cat 5. I don't care if it is a "weak" cat 5 it is still a dangerous storm.

Also the question about wind speeds. yes 200 is faster than 160 but once you get to cat 5 strength it is going to be bad.

I agree with you, personally. Whether it retained borderline category-four/category-five intensity or not...one really isn't going to be able to differentiate between the two by observing the damage for those type of winds are extreme and will cause severe destruction, regardless.

Like you said, a hurricane doesn't need to possess 200 mph winds to cause immense devastation from the winds alone! For those who experienced the maximum winds, they too wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a high-end category-four hurricane and a 145 kt. category-five.

Either way, there should be heavy devastation in the area where the inner-core came ashore...especially considering the weakly built structures there.

And we know he must have been inside of a well built structure. This is not good news for the few that actually got hit by the eye-wall.

Not to be disagreeable...but the picture (as well as Mike Bettes' comments during the first interview regarding the building), it didn't appear to be too sturdy of a structure...but fortunately had a "safe room" that was much more solid.

Considering he was in the eyewall of a powerful hurricane...no doubt he experienced extreme conditions and I'm thankful he and those with him survived it without any injuries. I pray this will be the same for those closer to the inner-core you referenced.

EDIT: As I've noted previously, I strongly suspect there was a higher wind gust to sustained wind ratio, as well, meaning even more chaotic and turbulent wind gusts which is typical for a powerful hurricane that is rapidly weakening at landfall.

Watched the evening national news.  Really surprising to see such little damage.  Thought we would see some helicopter shots of completely defoliated and flattened tropical forests, especially in the 10 mile area Patricia came ashore.  Saw a few tin like structures down, the usual powerlines down but Cat 2 like damage, nothing wowing.  Have not heard from Josh yet so maybe no one has been able to get down Rt 200 into where the inner core came in.  No loss of life or injury is amazing now that we are post 24 hours.

Whether or not Patricia retained category-five intensity at landfall...I'm somewhat concerned with how many people appear not to appreciate just how intense winds are in the eyewall of any "major" hurricane...much less one of high-end category-four strength. See Charley gas station video for exhibit-A. Often times, it's where one is located in the eyewall of intense storms with such a tight pressure-gradient and not just simply the storms maximum intensity.

Watched the evening national news. Really surprising to see such little damage. Thought we would see some helicopter shots of completely defoliated and flattened tropical forests, especially in the 10 mile area Patricia came ashore. Saw a few tin like structures down, the usual powerlines down but Cat 2 like damage, nothing wowing. Have not heard from Josh yet so maybe no one has been able to get down Rt 200 into where the inner core came in. No loss of life or injury is amazing now that we are post 24 hours.

Hope that's correct and not just representative of the fact they may not be reporting from the worst hit areas.

The howling continued, but the pressure was rising fast-- into the 960s, then '70s-- and I knew we'd clear the core soon... just a few more minutes of this insanity. And by maybe 7 pm or so, we did. We crept out to look at the devastation-- smashed rooms, mountains of debris, trees stripped bare. And as it got dark the wind slowly calmed... And we had a tranquil night sleeping on a damp mattress, the crickets chirping all hours in the black, sticky calm.

Probably CAT5 damage.

yup. you are in the eye wall you were scared.

every storm is different.

Sure a storm hitting peak, is hard core. A weak storm is weak.

you will hear stories in the days moving forward of death.

I have seen Josh's stuff in the past.

This was some of his most serious stuff to date.

You can hear how scared he was in the interview.

sorta of empowering to hear how he took people in to his spot.

True storm chaser and gentlemen.

Matt

Looking forward to his pictures of "trees stripped bare." The building destruction for that area makes it difficult to discern between a category-four or category-five damage. Then again, that'd be difficult pretty much anywhere at a borderline intensity between the two.

nope. I need to hear about saving lives etc.

I have seen the hurt/sadness. Know what it looks like.

yea homes missing, trees gone, people standing around with nothing to do.

Probably CAT5 damage.

Have you seen pictures of the hotel they stayed in? I'd be shocked if the roof didn't blow off in category-three conditions...if not category-two.

So far, we've seen nothing to suggest category-five damage...not to say there isn't any yet to be discovered.

EDIT: I'm not saying he only experienced category-three conditions, just for the record and to avoid any misunderstanding.

nope. I need to hear about saving lives etc.

I have seen the hurt/sadness. Know what it looks like.

yea homes missing, trees gone, people standing around with nothing to do.

Not sure how to interpret this post in response to my own...unless you presumed I was suggesting I'm more interested in seeing severe damage, which could be nothing further from the truth.

But, I agree that the most important thing is the lives and property of those who have been adversely affected. That's why I don't wish a category-four or category-five hurricane on anyone!

EDIT: I too have seen such sad and heart wrenching devastation firsthand and am grateful to hear Josh has also volunteered to offer assistance in the aftermath. Something I've always advacated we ALL should do if we chase storms. Bravo Josh!

Not sure how to interpret this post in response to my own? But, I agree that the most important thing is the lives and property of those who have been adversely affected. That's why I don't wish a category-four or category-five hurricane on anyone!

Agree with your post. yea we all live for extreme weather.

after it hits, I go into " what can I do mode"

We know the area was crushed. do we really need to ask for visual confirmation & discuss it when we know people need help etc.

IM your buddy for photos etc.

Matt

Agree with your post. yea we all live for extreme weather.

after it hits, I go into " what can I do mode"

We know the area was crushed. do we really need to ask for visual confirmation & discuss it when we know people need help etc.

IM your buddy for photos etc.

Matt

I agree, Matt. Excellent post! You're right, it really doesn't matter much whether it was literally a category-five or high-end category-four hurricane...they're both extreme and inflict severe devastation on those it affects.

EDIT: I got caught up in the scientific debate about whether it actually retained category-five intensity...which is so inconsequential, in reality.

I agree, Matt. Excellent post! You're right, it really doesn't matter much whether it was literally a category-five or high-end category-four hurricane...they're both extreme and inflict severe devastation on those it affects.

EDIT: I got caught up in the scientific debate about whether it actually retained category-five intensity...which is so inconsequential, in reality.

fyi.

Nothing worst standing around seeking help.

food/water/shelter

It will takes weeks for some people.

Matt

From what Josh describes and that automatic station report (which seems to be about 15 km northwest of Josh's location) it would appear that the eye was probably located between them at landfall. Looking at google earth, you can see that Cayeres on the coast has a number of fairly modern low-rise resort developments in a very exposed location, but I think these one storey concrete type buildings probably withstand a lot of wind pressure and maybe they don't have glass windows but screens that in some cases could be blocked by some sort of makeshift barriers. Going further up the coast towards Punta Perula, you find one or two more small resorts and what is described as a "former Club Med" that does not look totally abandoned so perhaps under different management. Then there is San Mateo inland on the highway, Chamela on the ocean with a few more holiday cabins and such, then the village of Punta Perula.

I think there may have been a brief clip of storm damage from that area on a news report I just saw, and mention of a school losing its roof. Details are still quite sketchy. But I have the hunch that from the tone of the report from the resort west of this zone, maybe things are not as bad as they could be. It may be a day or two before anything reliable comes in -- Josh has apparently left the area in the other direction.

In that direction, the coast itself is largely undeveloped until you get to La Manzanilla. If you have google earth, check out the "Copa del Sol" at the point near Emiliano Zapata. This is labelled Farallon on google earth. The Copa del Sol is a giant concrete half-shell open to the sky. No idea what it is or why it's there (if it is still there).

Further down the coast towards the southeast, there is almost nothing but undeveloped beach and rocks. There's a very small village on a back road between the highway and the ocean called Arroyo Seco, that might not have done too well in the sort of winds that might have come up that valley.

From what Josh describes and that automatic station report (which seems to be about 15 km northwest of Josh's location) it would appear that the eye was probably located between them at landfall. Looking at google earth, you can see that Cayeres on the coast has a number of fairly modern low-rise resort developments in a very exposed location, but I think these one storey concrete type buildings probably withstand a lot of wind pressure and maybe they don't have glass windows but screens that in some cases could be blocked by some sort of makeshift barriers. Going further up the coast towards Punta Perula, you find one or two more small resorts and what is described as a "former Club Med" that does not look totally abandoned so perhaps under different management. Then there is San Mateo inland on the highway, Chamela on the ocean with a few more holiday cabins and such, then the village of Punta Perula.

I think there may have been a brief clip of storm damage from that area on a news report I just saw, and mention of a school losing its roof. Details are still quite sketchy. But I have the hunch that from the tone of the report from the resort west of this zone, maybe things are not as bad as they could be. It may be a day or two before anything reliable comes in -- Josh has apparently left the area in the other direction.

In that direction, the coast itself is largely undeveloped until you get to La Manzanilla. If you have google earth, check out the "Copa del Sol" at the point near Emiliano Zapata. This is labelled Farallon on google earth. The Copa del Sol is a giant concrete half-shell open to the sky. No idea what it is or why it's there (if it is still there).

Further down the coast towards the southeast, there is almost nothing but undeveloped beach and rocks. There's a very small village on a back road between the highway and the ocean called Arroyo Seco, that might not have done too well in the sort of winds that might have come up that valley.

Roger,

Your post is skipping over the enitre area and what occurred my friend. Made little sense imop.

You seem to imply that the area was let off possibly lightly due to not modern structures.

Matt

You said   this in post  656   "  Yea, it's gone from an unprecedented, unimaginable strike, to an extreme, yet ordinary one.

now  you say its  was a weak cat 5

Please Explain to us  how a  weak cat 5  -- you are right about that -- is  ORDINARY

It isn't ordinary at all.

I exaggerated because I had just found out that the pressure shot up 21 mb in about an hour. 

I suspected that it may continue to do so, but it did not.

Archived