Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HURRICANE PATRICIA TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL

EP202015 625 PM CDT FRI OCT 23 2015 ...

CATEGORY 5 HURRICANE PATRICIA MAKES LANDFALL ALONG THE COAST OF MEXICO WITH 165-MPH WINDS...

Satellite images indicate that the center of the eye of Patricia made landfall at approximately 615 PM CDT...2315 UTC...along the coast of southwestern Mexico near Cuixmala.

This position is also about 55 miles...85 km...west-northwest of Manzanillo, Mexico. The maximum winds were estimated to be 165 mph...270 km/h.

SUMMARY OF 615 PM...2315 UTC...INFORMATION ---------------------------------------------------

LOCATION...19.4N 105.0W

ABOUT 55 MI...85 KM WNW OF MANZANILLO MEXICO

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...165 MPH...270 KM/H

PRESENT MOVEMENT...NNE OR 15 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H

MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...920 MB...27.17 INCHES

$$ Forecaster Blake/Stewart

I'm not sure I buy this thing still having 165 mph top wind at landfall.  A rapidly strengthening Andrew had 165 mph wind with about the same pressure at landfall.  Patricia had already dropped 40 mb and was steadily weakening at landfall.

agreed.  i only care what the ground reports say.  the rest is all talk.

I'm not sure I buy this thing still having 165 mph top wind at landfall.  Andrew had 165 mph wind with about the same pressure at landfall, but Andrew was rapidly strengthening with a very healthy inner core while Patricia had already dropped 40 mb and was steadily weakening at landfall.

Well, there's a 15 mile swath of maybe cat 5 winds.  We'll see. 

Like I said....abundance of precedent.

Devastating, absolutely.

Never intimated otherwise.

I'm just so glad that it went through an ERC right before landfall. Think of all the lives and property saved. I would have hated to see something so disastrous and unprecedented in its destruction.

I followed this thread all day and clicked refresh on the satellite floater page every 5 minutes hoping that it would go from a category 7 to a category 4 before anyone on the ground had to experience it or take a video of it. The emotional climax of knowing that the 25-30 people in the direct path of the eyewall are only experiencing category 4 hurricane conditions instead of global record-breaking winds was well worth the 8 hours of wasted production at work.

Human well-being fetish satiated.

I'm just so glad that it went through an ERC right before landfall. Think of all the lives and property saved. I would have hated to see something so disastrous and unprecedented in its destruction.

I followed this thread all day and clicked refresh on the satellite floater page every 5 minutes hoping that it would go from a category 7 to a category 4 before anyone on the ground had to experience it or take a video of it. The emotional climax of knowing that the 25-30 people in the direct path of the eyewall are only experiencing category 4 hurricane conditions instead of global record-breaking winds was well worth the 8 hours of wasted production at work.

Human well-being fetish satiated.

The weather lovers paradox. Love seeing something historic, and am disappointed that I weakened prior to landfall; but at the same time happy that the potential wind damage may be minimized. As has been rehashed in the thread several times, surge and mudslides may be the real killers.

Archived