• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

Mexico is sure lucky with this track.  In these super intense storms the real crazy winds are really confined to a small area.  I would guess that anyone more than 25 miles from the eye will not have super damaging winds except right along the beach to the right of where the eye comes ashore.  So luckily a very, very small population is going to experience catastrophic wind conditions.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know puerto vallarta is not in the ground zero path, but i have a friend riding out in a shelter there, which is actually a preschool (concrete structure with windows) 150 ft above sea level.. Winds there i imagine wont get above minimal hurricane force, you guys think shes fine with the windows even?

Based on my own experience with similar wind intensity, she should be. Regardless, it's always best to stay away from windows due to prospective flying debris.

I was simply correcting your poorly worded conjecture. Perhaps you should use the scientific method and try to prove why your hypothesis is false.

You have me on this one.  I should have stated 'To the best of our knowledge, Hurricane Patricia is the strongest tropical cyclone in the history of reliable observations'.

My apologies for harping on you, and then turning around and making a statement like that.

as amazing as this storm is from a weather standpoint.. it could have been even better.. why no recon this morning was baffling... to say the least.. and i don't know what been going on with the recon this afternoon.this storm stats could have been even more crazy but .. human decisions got into the way...

as amazing as this storm is from a weather standpoint.. it could have been even better.. why no recon this morning was baffling... to say the least.. and i don't know what been going on with the recon this afternoon.this storm stats could have been even more crazy but .. human decisions got into the way...

The storm is what it is, regardless of whether recon samples it.

902 extrap.  Better news for the folks down there.  Still going to be a very bad situation, but at least it's not the worst case scenario (perhaps).  Seems like ERC moreso than terrain at this point.

Let's keep some perspective here and hope Josh gets his intercept.

902 extrap. Better news for the folks down there. Still going to be a very bad situation, but at least it's not the worst case scenario (perhaps). Seems like ERC moreso than terrain at this point.

Let's keep some perspective here and hope Josh gets his intercept.

It's likely a combination of both factors with drier air being able to penatrate the circulation due to the ERC.

165 knots, 900mb pressure for the 5pm advisory

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE 900 MB

EYE DIAMETER 5 NM

MAX SUSTAINED WINDS 165 KT WITH GUSTS TO 205 KT.

64 KT....... 30NE 30SE 20SW 30NW.

50 KT....... 50NE 50SE 50SW 60NW.

34 KT.......150NE 110SE 80SW 120NW.

12 FT SEAS..120NE 330SE 270SW 300NW.

WINDS AND SEAS VARY GREATLY IN EACH QUADRANT. RADII IN NAUTICAL

MILES ARE THE LARGEST RADII EXPECTED ANYWHERE IN THAT QUADRANT.

Archived