Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Cat 5 Major Hurricane Patricia

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That 878 was with 60 knot surface winds!!

I'm in awe

Sent from my SM-G925V

So low 870s maybe? I wonder if its possible it either now or sometime between recon flights it got down below 870. Just unreal.. At this point you run out of words to describe this monster.

One would think it would decrease ever so slightly right before landfall but I've been wondering given the trajectory, shape of the coastline, and immediate inland topography if there could be some increase in surface winds on the east side due to contraction of the wind field between the center and the coast..Kind of a funneling effect   considering the angle of approach and immediate inland topography.

So low 870s maybe? I wonder if its possible it either now or sometime between recon flights it got down below 870. Just unreal.. At this point you run out of words to describe this monster.

One would think it would decrease ever so slightly right before landfall but I've been wondering given the trajectory, shape of the coastline, and immediate inland topography if there could be some increase in surface winds due to contraction of the wind field between the center and the coast..sort of a funneling effect since it's sort of a unique angle of approach.

Would think we are at or near the maximum potential intensity for a tropical cyclone in this part of the world. 

One would think it would decrease ever so slightly right before landfall but I've been wondering given the trajectory, shape of the coastline, and immediate inland topography if there could be some increase in surface winds due to contraction of the wind field between the center and the coast..sort of a funneling effect since it's sort of a unique angle of approach.

That only applies to dropsondes, not estimated pressure from the aircraft. 

The sonde had 883 with 43 kts surface winds...that's around 878-879mb

Edit: 879mb that is

Would think we are at or near the maximum potential intensity for a tropical cyclone in this part of the world. 

I certainly would think so too. I actually thought it would probably start weakening a bit by now given   but i'm just wondering if it's possible a small increase in winds on it's eastern side could be possible thanks to the sort of unique set of factors. Would be a rather small area and likely wouldn't ever be measured but just a thought.

Archived