joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, with the 850s wrapping up as forecast it should at least make it interesting.  My friends place in Highlands sits at only about 4900 ft, but I'm confident that snow will fall at an angle and not straight down for at least a while. 

Today at Purchase Knob at 5000 feet the winds were about 5 mph despite 850 winds at 40 knots+.  Nevertheless, hard to say what you will experience but I'm sure it will be interesting. Please let us what you see! Thanks.

Don wish you where up here bud. Its just not the same man.

Thanks 85! That means a lot. It's the price we pay I guess.....Unless your Joe. I'll be with you guys in spirit for sure and really rooting for all. I will also update you guys from the warm sector & let you know what type of thunderstorm activity we get.

Edit: didn't see your post Jason thank you also!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT and Mike are both great posters, thanks for your input guys!

Here is my call map, might be a little conservative and could push totals higher tomorrow depending on short range evolution and might take away any precipitation for Wilmington area..

1517_1660441100893123_546228276906376884

I'll take it and say goodnight !

Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks 85! That means a lot. It's the price we pay I guess.....Unless your Joe. I'll be with you guys in spirit for sure and really rooting for all. I will also update you guys from the warm sector & let you know what type of thunderstorm activity we get.

Edit: didn't see your post Jason thank you also!

Hey...What's that suppose to mean.....??? :whistle:

I also remember when Jason started his sit in campaign . And he was dedicated. Poor boy got screwed for a long time. We were so glad to get him back from the dark side and start posting again.

Now off-banter, still light/mod snow here. I've picked up almost another inch in the last few hours. Temp has actually gone up a couple of degrees.

Hey...What's that suppose to mean.....??? :whistle:

I also remember when Jason started his sit in campaign . And he was dedicated. Poor boy got screwed for a long time. We were so glad to get him back from the dark side and start posting again.

Now off-banter, still light/mod snow here. I've picked up almost another inch in the last few hours. Temp has actually gone up a couple of degrees.

It means you get bask in the islands & camp out in a awesome snow fort.....strictly compliments Joe. I wanna live your life!

It means you get bask in the islands & camp out in a awesome snow fort.....strictly compliments Joe. I wanna live your life!

Says the man living on the Florida gulf coast.........

Really looking forward to a good ole' fashion snow storm. Anticipation of it is sometimes the best part.

The NAM put everybody in the main forum in a sour mood. Good to see so many on here still positive

A lot of people hanging on each run in that thread'. If the euro is north tonight I would be a little concerned. It's teeth grinding time but no where near cliff time!

It's always posotive in here and at the same time truthful. Spent lot of time growing up in this area, know it well.70s was a kid in northern buncombe and late 80s early 90s WCU. Can't count the days spent 6000 feet up on the parkway in mikes neighborhood lol. Anyway Hvward you need to put that call map in our storm thread. I'd copy and post over there but on the phone. Good luck guys. Post pics

GFS is much better than the NAM, but the chance of the 15-20" in AVL are fading quickly. Lucky to get a foot methinks....

Yea, coming back down to Earth a bit, but still the biggest event we've had in quite a while. It looks like about 80% of the GEFS members exceed 12 inches for Asheville still.

Great updated snowfall map this morning. For me in the southern foothills, GSP has increase totals from 2-3"

Im at the yellow dot. Living in the isothermal has it issues :)

Screen Shot 2016-01-21 at 5.20.10 AM.png

That's a significant increase in my area. Goes from 8 to almost 14 inches. It's go time pretty much. You can only model watch so much.

That's a significant increase in my area. Goes from 8 to almost 14 inches. It's go time pretty much. You can only model watch so much.

I see that they are going crazy in the Balsams with up to 20".  There will be extreme upslope in the Southern Balsams with something like hurricane force winds at cloud level. (With such high winds, the upslope enhancement may carry further into Haywood/Jackson counties than it normally would with winds out of the South or SE.)  Looking at point soundings..still too close to call on just how much of the precip will actually fall as snow or really just how much precip there will be. The latest NAM appears to be too low on QPF locally but I am still very pleased about the Northern Virginia grand slam!

Archived