joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been watching several tv mets the past little bit and everything I'm hearing is MAYBE an inch or two from all of them that I have seen thus far. Doesn't line up with the models all too well but we'll see.

yep models saying colder and snowier than the mets are saying, and yep Asheville is the mountains, don't know where Jason and the mets on WLOS ever got that Asheville isn't the mountains.  I grew up here and it was always the mountains then the  Higher  Elevations.  still say Asheville will see a couple of inches, 1-2 maybe.

Gfs is about as cold as the Nam and rgem now, it's a decent hit for most going off 850 temps.

I'm really puzzled by gsp and their lack of winter weather products.

Me and you both, I still don't understand what they see that we dont. You should have an advisory by now. I understand them not putting up one for me, theyll wait an see if it even materializes here. But for the SW mountain's it looks like a given by now.

Me and you both, I still don't understand what they see that we dont. You should have an advisory by now. I understand them not putting up one for me, theyll wait an see if it even materializes here. But for the SW mountain's it looks like a given by now.

while this might not workout at my house at 2500ft, elevations above 3500 should do well. There is not even an advisory for swain county where the smokies are!

while this might not workout at my house at 2500ft, elevations above 3500 should do well. There is not even an advisory for swain county where the smokies are!

I guess they are ready for Spring and forgot they have to issue advisories, maybe they all left for Spring Break and left the intern at the station.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ray going with 2-5 for most north of Asheville. I found this interesting as well:

" Most of our area will be between 2"-5". The real show begins between 3 PM to 5 PM then intensifies around or just before sunset. It's mostly a 4-6 hour event tapering to light snow late tonight then snow showers and flurries Friday morning. "

Looking at the radar...the bulk of the precip is already in northern AL.  This is about 4 hours ahead of the 6z NAM and GFS.   Its 28here at the school in Bakersville (2500'), Spruce Pine (2700') - 29o, Buladean (4100') - 27o.  Could be rain in the valleys being way ahead of schedule like this...could be a close call up higher too   :whistle:  

even Boone (3300') sitting at 29o now

Looking at the radar...the bulk of the precip is already in northern AL. This is about 4 hours ahead of the 6z NAM and GFS. Its 28o here at the school in Bakersville (2500'), Spruce Pine (2700') - 29o, Buladean (4100') - 27o. Could be rain in the valleys being way ahead of schedule like this...could be a close call up higher too :whistle:

even Boone (3300') sitting at 29o now

Mountain tops rose above freezing overnight. Went up to Beech for sunrise shots because they had a ton of rime ice at sunset last night and every bit was gone and it was 35 at sunrise. Certainly a temp inversion last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree on the temps. I'm already above freezing as well. Looking at mountain area temps, very few are below. Even Beech is at 35. I guess we'll see what happens. My bet is this will be a "pretty" snowfall but won't stick very well. Maybe some refreezing overnight but by then the moisture is pretty much gone.

It's March, this is how it sometimes plays out this time of year. Next weekend is when the big event happens. DST Baby !!!

I agree on the temps. I'm already above freezing as well. Looking at mountain area temps, very few are below. Even Beech is at 35. I guess we'll see what happens. My bet is this will be a "pretty" snowfall but won't stick very well. Maybe some refreezing overnight but by then the moisture is pretty much gone.

It's March, this is how it sometimes plays out this time of year. Next weekend is when the big event happens. DST Baby !!!

What's your temp now Joe?

I was thinking about going up to cashiers but the way it sounds even they may not get anything.

It's the perfect storm to chase for you, no accumulations, so you don't have to worry about getting stuck and if you go anywhere do yourself a favor go above 3500ft not unless your super rich and have plenty of money to waste.

Archived