• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

I think mine is about 32" in 24 hours. I have seen a couple 5 inches/hour during lake effect in Michigan and in the Blue Ridge of Virginia.

I would love to experience lake effect. My highest was close to 36" in the blizzard of 93 I was living in cashiers at the time. Probably will be the biggest snow that I ever see in my life.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM at 12Z seemed to think more front end snow but warming to around 1.5 at 850 around 54. But dropping to -5 at 60 :)

Thanks for the thoughts sir. 

Well, even the Euro shows 6-9" for your area, and many GEFS members have something similar.  What concerns me is that the onset will be ZR given the strength of the WAA (60kt 850 jet) and strong wedge configuration.  Eventually the storm track pulls the cold air in at all levels, and then you change to snow.  Basically a real wintry mess in your area...ZR, IP, then SN.  No doubt Winter Storm Warning criteria will be met.

Is the AVL dryhole a concern for this event? Few high-res models seem to show this, but I'm not sure that's the case since it's not coming from NW?

Chasing lake effect snow is a dream of mine's :)

I've seen this many times over the years. It used to scare the you know what out of me. I think it verified one time but not on the scale modeled. imho I would not let this bother me to much. It is disconcerting when it's your backyard though.

pouring snow here in franklin about 1" so far.

Ripping snow in Boone. Really starting accumulate

Not in Asheville Don but we are getting hammered in Haywood. Roads turning white.

Congrats guys! Hope the AVL crew gets in on it. Dying to know the difference from downtown to Weaverville. Meanwhile a reverse obs shows I'm sunny 65° with shorts on & the windows open. Think it's beach time later!

Wow. The Euro ensemble mean for AVL is right at 16". Looks like the NAM has about 20". The all time AVL record for on event is superstorm '93, 16". I may be witnessing history during my visit.....

According to NWS Greer, 18.2 inches of snow fell at the airport during '93 storm. However, 12" will be enough to crack into top 10 snow events of all time. Very impressive!

Wow. The Euro ensemble mean for AVL is right at 16". Looks like the NAM has about 20". The all time AVL record for on event is superstorm '93, 16". I may be witnessing history during my visit.....

AVL is on the very southern boarder of Buncombe county. I'm sure I don't have to tell you but there are some large variations of snow fall total N to S in the county. So much so that GSP has considered splitting the county like they do so for Jackson county. That being said it won't be that big of a variance with the low being to the south. In December 2003 I had 8" just south of Weaverville while the Asheville Mall had about a inch and Arden had partly cloudy conditions during the flow event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AVL is on the very southern boarder of Buncombe county. I'm sure I don't have to tell you but there are some large variations of snow fall total N to S in the county. So much so that GSP has considered splitting the county like they do so for Jackson county. That being said it won't be that big of a variance with the low being to the south. In December 2003 I had 8" just south of Weaverville while the Asheville Mall had about a inch and Arden had partly cloudy conditions during the flow event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like you're saying earlier about the snowhole, there is an effect in Buncombe County. Just not sure there will be much of one this time around.

Ill take what is NAM is selling. Waiting to review the soundings as for my area I assume a warm nose around the 850 level continues. Has been getting better (around 1.9-1.5). Heavy rates should assist in making it more snow...

Mountains getting crushed though

18Z NAM absolutely crushes the mountains.

Archived