• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

Per Model discussion/early ensembles..think the heavy snowfall is placed too far to the SW.

Per this Euro Map..should be clear that even a modest adjustment back to the NE will drastically lower snowfall locally.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-962-0-49426000-1453228758.jpg

Should be fun to see how this turns out.

The EURO ensembles are lock step with the Op almost... 

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per Model discussion/early ensembles..think the heavy snowfall is placed too far to the SW.

Per this Euro Map..should be clear that even a modest adjustment back to the NE will drastically lower snowfall locally.

https://www.americanwx.com/bb/uploads/monthly_01_2016/post-962-0-49426000-1453228758.jpg

Should be fun to see how this turns out.

Which early ensembles?

I think this is less of an issue that it used to be.  Satellite ingest is rather good now as satellite data has been upgraded over the years.  That being said, Euro is still superior at satellite ingest than others.  I'd say the model solution won't change much even after it has been sampled by the RAOB network.

That's a very good point you raised there.

It could bUT don't see it as a big deal. The ground is frozen solid already. At least here in Haywood.

I think you guys are going to do well. At least for us in Asheville, I think this minor snow might be enough to push us over the hump with temperature of the lower 5,000 feet for down the road in addition to the history of global models underestimating the strength of CAD.

I think the biggest difference with the euro is the confluence in the NE and less with the s/w sampling. I too am skeptical of how cold the euro is in the southern mtns.

Yeah I have seen several systems like this go both ways. Most recently the Dec 18 2009 storm. We where suppose to change to rain after only getting 3 to 6 inches of snow but it never happened.

Yeah I have seen several systems like this go both ways. Most recently the Dec 18 2010 storm. We where suppose to change to rain after only getting 3 to 6 inches of snow but it never happened.

85, do you mean the Dec 18 2009 storm? I don't remember a big snow right before the Christmas storm that year. If the 09 storm is what you are referring to it was one of the most awesome storms I've been through. We hadn't had a whopper since 93 & we got it all. Looked like a war zone with fallen trees, abandoned vehicles, thunder snow, & a 54 hour power outage at my house. 16" of wet paste & then a additional 2" of powdery flow snow for a total of 18". I remember it started as snow changed to rain for a half hour went back to snow & all hell broke loose! Anyway back to this storm I am not qualified to make predictions but I like the look for most of the Mnts. I think the very far SW Mnts may have some issues but overall I think this is the best chance for a big event since I left. Remember guys don't hang your hats on one model run. Look for trends in the models. I'm excited for you guys and will be doing some vicarious living thru some of you! Someone in NC is going to jackpot with this! Good luck to all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the best route to go around here, but nobody will ever accuse Jason Boyer of hyping snow in Asheville.

What's up Jason? What was his drivel on the upcoming systems? I think most tv mets are handcuffed by station execs. If not there are some Real winners on the air!

FWIW, NWS GSP is calling for 1-2 inches in Asheville tomorrow. That might keep us cooler than what models are showing for the big storm.

I think they are being overly generous for Asheville and not generous enough for the Balsams. Dry air and downsloping off the Balsams will limit snowfall there.

What's up Jason? What was his drivel on the upcoming systems? I think most tv mets are handcuffed by station execs. If not there are some Real winners on the air!

Hey Don ! He mentioned the Euro, but he said any real moisture would be gone before the change to snow. I think he is knowledgeable, and I understand the need to be conservative.( I think he overdoes the conservative angle though) One thing he does that drives me crazy is when he speaks of Asheville and then mentions the mountains as if they are in a separate location. Argghh !!!  I hope it's a big one. I wish you were here to enjoy it(hopefully) with us. 

Hey Don ! He mentioned the Euro, but he said any real moisture would be gone before the change to snow. I think he is knowledgeable, and I understand the need to be conservative.( I think he overdoes the conservative angle though) One thing he does that drives me crazy is when he speaks of Asheville and then mentions the mountains as if they are in a separate location. Argghh !!!  I hope it's a big one. I wish you were here to enjoy it(hopefully) with us. 

I agree, I grew up here in the 50's and 60's, 70's and Asheville was always considered the Mtns. then you had the higher elevations.  I don't know why channel 13 started saying Asheville and then in another breath but the Mtns will get snow, Asheville was and in my book has always been in the Mtns.  Anything from Old Fort west is the Mtns.

I think they are being overly generous for Asheville and not generous enough for the Balsams. Dry air and downsloping off the Balsams will limit snowfall there.

Yep I agree.  I think an inch in Asheville would be a huge win but downsloping is going to kill this flow.

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw GSP's graphic. I was wondering where they were getting 2" from considering most mesoscale models are showing less than an inch.

Downsloping will always limit snow totals in the city if the storm is coming from W or NW, but y'all know that already.

EDIT:

jqnTulX.gif

Yeah, that was my first thought when I saw GSP's graphic. I was wondering where they were getting 2" from considering most mesoscale models are showing less than an inch.

Downsloping will always limit snow totals in the city if the storm is coming from W or NW, but y'all know that already.

EDIT:

jqnTulX.gif

Will be crazy if that banding stays strong into the southern foothills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Archived