Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NWF will be pretty stout. Moisture continues to increase on the GFS for this event. Wouldn't be surprised to see advisories for the TN/NC border Co.'s. Might get 3" or so at Beech. I also think we see flakes here in the French Broad River Valley on Sunday afternoon. Historically clipper systems for anywhere below 3000' doesn't produce much accumulation, but I think a dusting is certainly possible. Higher elevations could get 3"+ Tuesday night into Wednesday.

Guys we sit in an awesome place to see snowfall over the next two weeks. Next weekend could very well bring the heavy accumulation goods and the models are starting to hint at that potential. Enjoy the flakes Sunday and Wednesday, good things are on the way!

Yeah just looking at the 12z the event looks promising. It looks like rain with change to snow Sunday morning instead of Sunday night. The flow looks good with cold crashing in. The clipper mid week looks great also. Looks like a pretty good event with very cold air crashing in and at this point looks like we could see some lows below zero. All in all we stand the best chance at seeing snow.

Yeah just looking at the 12z the event looks promising. It looks like rain with change to snow Sunday morning instead of Sunday night. The flow looks good with cold crashing in. The clipper mid week looks great also. Looks like a pretty good event with very cold air crashing in and at this point looks like we could see some lows below zero. All in all we stand the best chance at seeing snow.

Now that I'm at a computer instead of my phone, both the sunday and wednesday events look more promising than I realized. Really look forward to wednesday, think a good portion of the mountain counties will see a decent amount. 

Now that I'm at a computer instead of my phone, both the sunday and wednesday events look more promising than I realized. Really look forward to wednesday, think a good portion of the mountain counties will see a decent amount.

Yeah the models are playing catch up as usual with this crazy pattern. Yeah the closer we get the better things look.

A friendly "good luck" wish to you guys up there over the coming weeks. I think you guys KILL IT and clean up between now and the end of winter! Happy sledding! :sled:

Thanks tnweathernut! I hope you are right. I am worried but trying to dig out the nuggets out of the modeling lol. I think the 18z gfs actually looks better for the next 2 events for snow. I like the look of things as we progress towards Sunday and next Wednesday.

Thanks tnweathernut! I hope you are right. I am worried but trying to dig out the nuggets out of the modeling lol. I think the 18z gfs actually looks better for the next 2 events for snow. I like the look of things as we progress towards Sunday and next Wednesday.

Yeah Met that clipper looked much better on this run of the GFS. I am going to break out the skis Sunday at Wolf so I am pumped for this NWFS!

A friendly "good luck" wish to you guys up there over the coming weeks. I think you guys KILL IT and clean up between now and the end of winter!  Happy sledding! :sled:

Thanks! Hopefully many snows will head your way as well.

Yeah Met that clipper looked much better on this run of the GFS. I am going to break out the skis Sunday at Wolf so I am pumped for this NWFS!

Grrr...College has me broke, so no skiing for me yet lol.

Morning all!, Things have been busy down in the Panhandle so I haven't been around much. With a eye toward the pattern change I figured it was time to jump in. Big changes afoot for those of you in WNC esp. the Mnts. Some exciting things on the horizon so i'm here to put my 2 cents.......er maybe a penny's worth in here. Hope you all rally in the second half of snow season!

Morning all!, Things have been busy down in the Panhandle so I haven't been around much. With a eye toward the pattern change I figured it was time to jump in. Big changes afoot for those of you in WNC esp. the Mnts. Some exciting things on the horizon so i'm here to put my 2 cents.......er maybe a penny's worth in here. Hope you all rally in the second half of snow season!

Nice to see you on here Don! Yeah at this point our best chances for snow are right in front of us. Tomorrow and next Wednesday. Looks like some decent upslope snow action. Next weekend I could care less about. The models are going to change about 100 times. Take care Don!

Nice to see you on here Don! Yeah at this point our best chances for snow are right in front of us. Tomorrow and next Wednesday. Looks like some decent upslope snow action. Next weekend I could care less about. The models are going to change about 100 times. Take care Don!

Some good upslope chances for sure but, the thing that drew me in is the overall shift in the pattern. I guess the million dollar question is how long it stays this way. The SE is ripe for some sort of southern system & of course the Mnts will probably lead the way. Regardless of what happens things are looking up for snow lovers. Think the upslope might surprise some with the lakes not even being frozen. Great to banter with you 85!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I got back at the right time. Still would like to see a big dog on the horizon but will settle for any snow event at this point. You know the pattern is getting better when you see a Floridiot posting in our thread.

Hahahahaha! Luv you too Joe. Hope you are stocked up with the essentials. Have you had time to go to Woodfin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I got back at the right time. Still would like to see a big dog on the horizon but will settle for any snow event at this point. You know the pattern is getting better when you see a Floridiot posting in our thread.

Joe you are looking good for snow this week man!  It is really hard to not get excited about what the OP Euro shows but it is only one run.  Now if it continues to show the threat on the Monday 00z run, then it will be very very real in my mind.  But wow what a setup..wow.  If we could get a little NW trend on the first storm, then we would all big digging out for a week here in WNC.  Not sure if I want that much snow..  So now we are chasing the 7 day storm, which a whole lot better than the 10 day storm.  We have gone from chasing unicorns to chasing sasquatch and I am happy about that.  NWF for tomorrow doesn't look as stout on the GFS but it tend to weaken NWF sigs as the event approaches.  Watch the NAM and 4km tonight to see how the flow will be.  The clipper is also less moist on the GFS, but still 4 days out I expect that to waver a bit also.  Glad to finally be looking forward to upcoming model runs!

Joe you are looking good for snow this week man!  It is really hard to not get excited about what the OP Euro shows but it is only one run.  Now if it continues to show the threat on the Monday 00z run, then it will be very very real in my mind.  But wow what a setup..wow.  If we could get a little NW trend on the first storm, then we would all big digging out for a week here in WNC.  Not sure if I want that much snow..  So now we are chasing the 7 day storm, which a whole lot better than the 10 day storm.  We have gone from chasing unicorns to chasing sasquatch and I am happy about that.  NWF for tomorrow doesn't look as stout on the GFS but it tend to weaken NWF sigs as the event approaches.  Watch the NAM and 4km tonight to see how the flow will be.  The clipper is also less moist on the GFS, but still 4 days out I expect that to waver a bit also.  Glad to finally be looking forward to upcoming model runs!

I hope so Ward. I appreciate you, Met, and others for keeping us weenies updated and informed. I rarely ever venture outside of this thread so it really helps to have you guys posting on threats specifically for the mountains.   

Nice little snow shower coming through now. Front must be coming through as well. Temps dropped 3 degrees in the last hour, down to 32.2, with a stiff wind. Just had a gust to 22. Looks like there's not a lot of moisture left though.

Some snow is falling on my mountain top as well this morning and 26.  Expecting no more than a dusting.  Somebody is going up to the top this week so hope to get a report on just how much snow/ice is up there.

Archived