• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
4th Annual Fall/Winter Thread for the Mountains/Foothills

Met1985

Wow 4 years I have been making this thread. Hard to believe but it would not be successful without the others who post in here. It is an honor to be apart of this. As seen in the title I have included the foothills as some have expressed interest in posting in this thread during the winter so I have included that in the title. As we are fast approaching winter and our first freeze being just a couple of days away it appears and to the likes of SnoJoe requesting this thread start up I figured now is as good as any other time to start this thread. This winter has all possibilities for us. We could be looking at a banner year or a warm winter with just a few snows here and there. So lets get started speculating about this upcoming season and see how it all pans out. Looking forward to late nights and disappointments!

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Met! Can't wait to get the party started. First pic is looking NW from my deck. I hope I have this view multiple times this year !!!

MtAIR2.jpgMTAIR.jpg

Joe:

Those are 2 of yours that are my favorites from several years back. Absolutely awesome.

So what's your driveway plowing bill and propane gas bill gonna be this winter?

Joe:

Those are 2 of yours that are my favorites from several years back. Absolutely awesome.

So what's your driveway plowing bill and propane gas bill gonna be this winter?

Two of my favorites also. My driveway is about a mile and a half long but not bad to plow. It's about a hundred bucks per pop. The propane, of course, is outrageous. Used about 3500 gals. last year. 

Would not surprise me one bit. If I remember right last October was pretty mild up until Halloween weekend.

It was very mild that sunny Halloween day as upper level cirrus clouds began to move in by midday. I remember it well because it was the day I finished my fall timelapse. In most of my shots done that day you can see the upper levels moving in a different direction compared to passing low level clouds. But I digress. Anyways, the storm track of recent would be very favorable to a mountain snow to end October again, but I am betting that most on the board root against that. Lets keep that southern branch active this winter and God willing hopefully we get a little blocking or a -NAO so we can score big. Who knows, but I like the setup and our history in the past with strong nino's is decent for snow, so bring it on.

Wind is really starting to whip now, bring on the cold!

Just like that frost and freeze watches and advisories up for this weekend. Looks to be down right cold this weekend. Joe beautiful pics! Strongwxnc no problem. The more the better. Ward yes that was a wild 24 hours. Warm during the day then the next morning 4 inches of snow and snowed all day for a total of like 7 or 8 inches.

I am jealous of that view SnoJoe! What part of Yancey do you live in and how do I get in on the action? Like many others I am always weary of any October snow as that has only brought me heartache when it comes to Winter fun. Can't beat a year like 2009-2010 but half the fun of this is the chase/model watching. Can't wait to see what this winter has in store for us. 

On the other hand, isn't the weather outside right now just amazing? Autumn in the mountains is hard to beat

By far the coldest morning of the season. Looks like I'll bottom out at 26.8 with heavy frost.

Also, I think the fall colors this year have been very disappointing. With a dry late summer I thought we'd have a pretty season, but all the rain in the past few weeks must have really put a damper on things. The wind the past couple of days hasn't helped either. It's pretty much over here.

By far the coldest morning of the season. Looks like I'll bottom out at 26.8 with heavy frost.

Also, I think the fall colors this year have been very disappointing. With a dry late summer I thought we'd have a pretty season, but all the rain in the past few weeks must have really put a damper on things. The wind the past couple of days hasn't helped either. It's pretty much over here.

Yep Joe completely agree on the fall color. The big rains and winds we have seen have not done well for fall color. Also we hit 26 degrees also down here. Heavy frost with a nice fire going.

The only areas of solid color I saw were at ~4,500 to 5,500 feet at Grandfather Mountain, Mt. Pisgah, and Smokies. Valleys were very disappointing with dull colors and UNCA's maples are the worst I've seen in 3 years.

Huge inversion this morning. I was at 45.2 at 6 am this morning while a station not more than a couple of miles from me at 2200 ft was reporting 28.4. Very nice afternoon though.

I have heard the inversions there have been impressive recently. We had our 4th frost this morning down to 26 degrees this morning and yes an absolute beautiful day. Back down to 40 degrees.

Archived