• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

always stick with the trend, this year everything had backed off as we get closer to the event. Feb will be below normal in the snowfall department, bank on it.

Yeah. I like Buffalo's enthusiasm but every single one of those cold maps has been erased by the time we get there. I think our main hope now is some sort of warmer inland storm - or maybe overruning event.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

0z GFS continues to highlight an explosive synoptic storm for the northeast next week.  There are many subtle ingredients that would have to come together perfectly for this storm to come to fruition...which is unlikely..but its fun to watch never the less.  There is a period of time early Tuesday morning where the Northern and Southern branch phase resulting in pressure falls on the order of 12-18mb over a 12 hour period.  That would be pretty exciting to say the least.  

It wouldnt bode well for the lifts and Gondolas of Whiteface though....

BUF not impressed with the long range.

SIGNIFICANT AMPLIFICATION IN THE UPPER LEVEL FLOW WILL TAKE PLACE
ACROSS NORTH AMERICA DURING THIS PERIOD. AT LEAST ONE ROBUST
SHORTWAVE WILL EJECT OUT OF AN EXPANSIVE STORM SYSTEM OVER THE
BERING SEA...AND THIS SHORTWAVE WILL WORK INS WAY INTO ALREADY
EXISTING TROUGHINESS OVER THE EASTERN HALF OF THE COUNTRY. THIS
DEEPENING TROUGH WILL COMBINE WITH A BURGEONING UPSTREAM WEST COAST
RIDGE TO OPEN THE DOOR FOR A LOBE OF SUB-ARCTIC AIR TO PUSH
SOUTHWARDS INTO THE NATIONS MID-SECTION...AND EVENTUALLY ACROSS THE
LOWER GREAT LAKES. WHILE WE WILL EXPERIENCE A PERIOD OF VERY COLD
WEATHER WITH THIS SCENARIO...MANY WILL HAPPY TO KNOW THAT THE TURN
TO COLDER THAN NORMAL WEATHER SHOULD BE SHORT LIVED.

BUF not impressed with the long range.

Neither am I. I'm at a conference in Savannah GA. Everyone asking how much snow we have in BUF. Almost embarrassing to say we're sitting on 26 inches of snow for the winter. Guess we shouldn't be surprised that a top 10 least snowy winter is in sights after getting a laughable 1 freaking inch through Dec 31. Super strong El Niño FTL.

Neither am I. I'm at a conference in Savannah GA. Everyone asking how much snow we have in BUF. Almost embarrassing to say we're sitting on 26 inches of snow for the winter. Guess we shouldn't be surprised that a top 10 least snowy winter is in sights after getting a laughable 1 freaking inch through Dec 31. Super strong El Niño FTL.

"Embarrassing" should be saved for us in central and eastern NY still looking to reach 10 inches.....

The reason the models have been having such a hard time with cold air this year. Every day it gets closer the warmer and warmer the actual results are.

Care to share any evidence to the contrary? Fact is there is literally no snow cover to our southwest, and we have been overperforming in the temperature department for a week already. This has the makings of an early spring unless we somehow get a snowstorm to put down a lot of snow cover fast. Without it, the dry ground will continue to warm quickly and we will continue to bust forecast expectations.

Hell then you combine that with the fact that there is minimal ice coverage over the Great Lakes as well. Notice how these cold snaps come in less impressive? That isn't just by coincidence.

I think KBUF is looking like a fair chance to break the low record. We were only 2 inches above 2011-12 as of Feb 1. It shouldn't be hard to get over 10.1 inches in Feb-Mar, but this persistent snowless pattern is awful. We wasted a lot of potential from lake warmth with gradual cooling, and now it'll take a stronger cold shot to get better lake snow. And this pattern seems terrible for synoptic level snow. 

In any case, Buffalo would just about have to double the season-to-date snowfall to finish above the bottom five (#5 is the El Nino plagued 1982-83 winter at 52.4 inches - I lived in northwestern OH back then, and I remember it as a winter of mud and fog - our Boy Scout troop did a Klondike Derby in mid January that might as well have been a mud crawl).

So yeah, I'm just about to cliff dive here.

I think KBUF is looking like a fair chance to break the low record. We were only 2 inches above 2011-12 as of Feb 1. It shouldn't be hard to get over 10.1 inches in Feb-Mar, but this persistent snowless pattern is awful. We wasted a lot of potential from lake warmth with gradual cooling, and now it'll take a stronger cold shot to get better lake snow. And this pattern seems terrible for synoptic level snow. 

In any case, Buffalo would just about have to double the season-to-date snowfall to finish above the bottom five (#5 is the El Nino plagued 1982-83 winter at 52.4 inches - I lived in northwestern OH back then, and I remember it as a winter of mud and fog - our Boy Scout troop did a Klondike Derby in mid January that might as well have been a mud crawl).

So yeah, I'm just about to cliff dive here.

4 years ago we had a total of 36.7" for the entire season, and it wasn't even an El Nino year. We followed that year up with 58.8". What a brutal 2 seasons.

Archived