• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like the snow was a no show for the metro overnight... Bummer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The models really never showed more than 1-3" of snow with the initial front. Once the winds set-up NW we will likely see some strong Huron/Ontario streamers set up. Off of Erie NW PA/Ohio will get in on some Erie/Huron streamers as well.

i wish I knew better how to decipher these. I guess negative nao is good. Sometimes I'm outta my depth on these pages. Some of you guys go deep- I'm in it for the snow....

It's not to hard to learn what indices offer a more favorable pattern for our area. Just do a little google research!

It's too bad NWS BUF took down the old LES events page, we had nice back to back LES events for the Northtowns early in the 2000's but seems like as of late it's becoming rare and rare to get a solid LES event for the Northtowns.

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. I asked them a few years ago when they took down the 90s/early 2000s events and they said they were doing maintinence. That was 2 years ago and now they even took more down. Maybe we can email them about where they transferred that data to?

Yeah, I'm not sure why they did that. I asked them a few years ago when they took down the 90s/early 2000s events and they said they were doing maintinence. That was 2 years ago and now they even took more down. Maybe we can email them about where they transferred that data to?

You should be able to access them through here...

https://web.archive.org/web/20130222181131/http://www.erh.noaa.gov/buf/lakepage.php

Les Warning cancelled, Advisory put up

..LAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS
AFTERNOON...
...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IS CANCELLED...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECT
SNOW ADVISORY...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 PM EST THIS AFTERNOON.
THE LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELLED.

* LOCATIONS...WESTERN OSWEGO COUNTY.

* TIMING...THROUGH EARLY THIS AFTERNOON.

* ACCUMULATIONS...ADDITIONAL 2 TO 3 INCHES IN PERSISTENT BANDS.

* WINDS...NORTH 10 TO 15 MPH.

* VISIBILITIES...AS LOW AS A HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* IMPACTS...LOCALIZED BANDS OF LAKE EFFECT SNOW WILL RESULT IN
SNOW COVERED ROADS AND LIMITED VISIBILITIES AT TIMES.

I like the middle of the month a lot.  

Blizzard of 66 is showing up on the day 8/11 analogs lol.  

After a dull rest of the week and unfortunately some melting/rain this weekend, things look really interesting starting next Monday.  I hope models trends hold of showing arctic air over the GL's with cyclonic flow.  A long way to go, but a nice signal there for lake effect.  

Re: the Blizzard of 66...my in-laws gave me a new book on that for Christmas.  It's mostly personal accounts, but a very interesting read.  My mother-in-law is actually quoted in the book - her parents were stranded in Oswego for a week after dropping her off at the college (they made it right as the storm was hitting).  Thing about that storm that is really impressive to me was the extreme snow amounts across so much of Upstate NY.  Oswego was obviously ground zero (100+ inches!), but everywhere from BUF east to the 'Dacks and even down across the southern tier seem to have gotten well over a foot from that storm.  Absolute perfect track for both synoptic and lake effect/enhanced snow for W/CNY.  

Archived