• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: End of Fall/Into Winter!

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incredible warmth here in December. Beat the record by almost 5 degrees!

.CLIMATE...
DECEMBER IS NOW IN THE BOOKS...AND WILL GO DOWN AS A RECORD WARM AND
SNOWLESS MONTH.

AT BUFFALO...

THE MONTHLY TOTAL SNOW FOR DECEMBER WAS 1.0 INCH. THIS SETS A NEW
RECORD FOR THE LEAST SNOWY DECEMBER...BREAKING THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF
1.1 INCHES SET IN 1891 AND 1889.

THE AVERAGE TEMPERATURE FOR THE MONTH WAS 42.1 DEGREES. THIS SETS A
NEW RECORD FOR THE WARMEST DECEMBER...SHATTERING THE OLD RECORD OF
37.6 DEGREES SET IN 1923.

Erie band producing well today. There's only been a couple reports off the Ontario band and none of them come from the areas that should've been hit hardest, so it's hard to say how the forecast is actually going there. 

On another note, I mentioned to another forecaster from our school that SYR metro might actually get snow from the Erie band... looks like that's happened!

Erie band producing well today. There's only been a couple reports off the Ontario band and none of them come from the areas that should've been hit hardest, so it's hard to say how the forecast is actually going there. 

On another note, I mentioned to another forecaster from our school that SYR metro might actually get snow from the Erie band... looks like that's happened!

Boonville's been a bust so far; maybe 2" of very poor flakes. There's no carry to them at this size/density, so I'd expect highest amounts on the West/SW side of the hill. The band's been scattering, and staying further North than predicted as well. This afternoon's updates from Binghamton and Buffalo seem to hedge slightly, while calling for a better band and rates later today/tonight.

It's melting pretty fast; the grounds still way too warm.

Band is coming back north. The band over Ontario will start to sink south and set-up over the tug soon. Going to be some very intense rates there this afternoon/evening.

codnexlab.NEXRAD.BUF.N0Q.20160101.1816.0

I'm patiently waiting :). Well waiting but not sure how patient.

About 2.5" so far in Redfield. No where close to forecast. I think we will be hard pressed to get to 12" but depends on where the band sets up this afternoon/night.

KBUF upgraded to warning.

NYZ019-020-085-020415-/O.UPG.KBUF.LE.Y.0032.000000T0000Z-160102T1700Z//O.EXB.KBUF.LE.W.0018.000000T0000Z-160102T1700Z/CHAUTAUQUA-CATTARAUGUS-SOUTHERN ERIE-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...JAMESTOWN...OLEAN...ORCHARD PARK...SPRINGVILLE314 PM EST FRI JAN 1 2016...LAKE EFFECT SNOW WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST SATURDAY...THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BUFFALO HAS ISSUED A LAKE EFFECTSNOW WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON EST SATURDAY. THELAKE EFFECT SNOW ADVISORY IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.* LOCATIONS...SOUTHERN ERIE...WYOMING...CHAUTAUQUA...AND  CATTARAUGUS COUNTIES. GREATEST AMOUNTS ACROSS THE HIGHER  TERRAIN OF THE BOSTON HILLS AND CHAUTAUQUA RIDGE.* TIMING...THROUGH LATE SATURDAY MORNING.* ACCUMULATIONS...1 TO 3 INCHES THROUGH THE EVENING...5 TO 10  INCHES TONIGHT...AND AN INCH OR LESS SATURDAY...RESULTING IN  STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 8 TO 15 INCHES IN THE MOST  PERSISTENT BANDS OF SNOW.* WINDS...WEST 25 TO 35 MPH.

Awesome Enjoy guys!

And as soon as the squalls hit... they go away just as quick. Only clouds in the view of the webcam now. This flow screams Pulaski/Mexico to me, but this band has never been fully organized so it's hard to say. Erie has produced a few inches of snow for Syracuse(!) from what I've heard, but still not a ton of reports from Ontario's band. 

And as soon as the squalls hit... they go away just as quick. Only clouds in the view of the webcam now. This flow screams Pulaski/Mexico to me, but this band has never been fully organized so it's hard to say. Erie has produced a few inches of snow for Syracuse(!) from what I've heard, but still not a ton of reports from Ontario's band.

Looks like a (final?) shortwave is about to swing across the area.  Maybe once that passes and flow aligns you'll be in business tonight off L. Ontario.  Nice streamer off Georgian Bay right now too, so upstream looks good.  

Archived