joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2015-16 Total New England Snow Table

Kevin W

• Replies 393
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol we are all below average ytd except probably SW ct.

Really?  What's your YTD average?  You have to be pretty close if you average 50-ish inches and are near 30" now?

We are probably just over halfway through the snow season.  I bet HFD-BOS and SE is closer to normal than you think.

BDL normal right now is 25"...you guys are in the ballpark.

PVD is pretty much normal right now (or well 1.9" below), as is West Thompson, CT COOP.  

Even ORH at 30" is only 10" behind normal right now and they were further NW than the snows you guys got.

Really?  What's your YTD average?  You have to be pretty close if you average 50-ish inches and are near 30" now?

We are probably just over halfway through the snow season.  I bet HFD-BOS and SE is closer to normal than you think.

BDL normal right now is 25"...you guys are in the ballpark.

PVD is actually at normal snowfall right now (or well 1.9" below). 

Even ORH at 30" is only 10" behind normal right now and they were further NW than the snows you guys got.

Yeah you are probably right after Monday, maybe on track for average now. I see why that would look "sweet" to you but I wouldn't call it above average at this point.

Yeah you are probably right after Monday, maybe on track for average now. I see why that would look "sweet" to you but I wouldn't call it above average at this point.

I think you are on track for average...you guys make up ground quickly when normal right now is in that 20-35" range and a lot of the CT posters here are in that range.

Though your winter so far has been pretty much the last two weeks or so...but its been a good run to get up near average.

It probably seems really crappy compared to last year though.  Looking at the COOPs, eastern CT is pretty much at normal now (or at least what one might call a normal range of +/- 5 inches), maybe a few under in spots, but when it shows last year to date, its ridiculous.  Haha.  Like 20-30" to date now is normal, and all those spots were at like 60+" right now last year, ha.

And yeah compared to me...my backyard is about four feet behind normal-to-date.  I need 100 more inches this season to get to normal at the house :lol:.  Mountain elevation needs 230" more inches to get to normal.

I think you are on track for average...you guys make up ground quickly when normal right now is in that 20-35" range and a lot of the CT posters here are in that range.

Though your winter so far has been pretty much the last two weeks or so...but its been a good run to get up near average.

It probably seems really crappy compared to last year though.  Looking at the COOPs, eastern CT is pretty much at normal now, maybe a few under in spots, but when it shows last year to date, its ridiculous.  Haha.  Like 20-30" to date now is normal, and all those spots were at like 60" right now last year, ha.

Depends on how you define normal I guess. The last 5 years have probably changed the average by a significant amount.

Depends on how you define normal I guess. The last 5 years have probably changed the average by a significant amount.

Well I define normal snow as whatever NOWData and the First Order stations tell me is normal, haha.

If you define normal as the last 5 winters, then yeah, this probably isn't getting it done, lol.

Well I define normal snow as whatever NOWData and the First Order stations tell me is normal, haha.

If you define normal as the last 5 winters, then yeah, this probably isn't getting it done, lol.

Well I mean that if you are using 1980-2010, then that's going to be a meaningful amount lower than if the last five years were included.

Well I mean that if you are using 1980-2010, then that's going to be a meaningful amount lower than if the last five years were included.

For ORH it is about a 10-15% difference....the '81-'10 normal is 64.2", but the longterm normal is 69.3"....if you flush the 1980s and replace them with an average of the past 5 years, then we'd probably be closer to 72-73" on the 30 year normal. But I don't expect the past 5 years to be representative of the 2010s as a whole when we are finished.

Unless of course it is. :lol:   The 1960s pulled off a string of just consistently above average snowfall here...ORH actually failed to have a below average snow season for 17 consecutive winters. (by below average, I mean less than 60"...anything within 6-8" is essentially normal given the distribution of historical seasonal snowfall). So it does happen...but rare.

It probably seems really crappy compared to last year though.  Looking at the COOPs, eastern CT is pretty much at normal now (or at least what one might call a normal range of +/- 5 inches), maybe a few under in spots, but when it shows last year to date, its ridiculous.  Haha.  Like 20-30" to date now is normal, and all those spots were at like 60+" right now last year, ha.

And yeah compared to me...my backyard is about four feet behind normal-to-date.  I need 100 more inches this season to get to normal at the house :lol:.  Mountain elevation needs 230" more inches to get to normal.

I suspect a lot of spots down here will end up somewhat below normal because of that blizzard whiffing.

That hurt.

For ORH it is about a 10-15% difference....the '81-'10 normal is 64.2", but the longterm normal is 69.3"....if you flush the 1980s and replace them with an average of the past 5 years, then we'd probably be closer to 72-73" on the 30 year normal. But I don't expect the past 5 years to be representative of the 2010s as a whole when we are finished.

Unless of course it is. :lol:   The 1960s pulled off a string of just consistently above average snowfall here...ORH actually failed to have a below average snow season for 17 consecutive winters. (by below average, I mean less than 60"...anything within 6-8" is essentially normal given the distribution of historical seasonal snowfall). So it does happen...but rare.

Wow.

Archived