• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

Lookout, I'm not trying to argue that everything would have been made better by more money. And I'm going to stop discussing this after this post because I enjoy this site and don't want to be political, nor do I enjoy discussing those topics.

All I'm trying to highlight is the deficiencies in our state's infrastructure maintenance, which could have helped in regards to the dam breaches. If you know the deficiencies of certain dams, you would preemptively release water and stage equipment in case of failure to preempt or quickly stop breaches. This is a symptom of our failure to maintain our infrastructure in the bigger picture.

I agree with you that most of this is unpreventable. However, the fact that SCE&G is discharging water in the height of the storm because they should have done so earlier is terrible. The people of the Saluda and Congaree areas had their problems multiplied because of this. Our government should have been on top of them, using whatever was in their purview, to get them to draw down the level 2-3 days ahead of the storm because we all knew this had potential. The NWS did a great job warning people and government of this in advance, it isn't like the government didn't know. But then again, this is just my take. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920I

Some more food for thought just playing armchair Q.B. is maybe they did think about draining the water levels but considering the current drought status and water levels where already down prior to the onset of precipitation they thought maybe they could handle 5-8 inches of rain if the basin received that much. It's tough to buy into model qpf espeacilly as extreme and bouncing around it was. Even alot of us had our doubts. It was hard enough to cut totals in half and forecast 5-8 let alone beleive a foot plus of rain was going to fall from a stalled ULL and cover such a large concentrated area. Don't envy the folks who had to pre-manage this one. 

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread is really taking a sad turn. There are people in SC that are suffering and people want to argue and bash. There is a time and a place for that and right now isn't the time.

SC could have spent $1 Trillion on dams, levees, canals, and barrier reefs, and there would still be just as much blame laid down.  It's human nature to start blaming leadership, people and other things when something bad happens.  SC certainly could have done some things differently.  Having a plan in place for a one in a thousand year flood seems like a good idea in hindsight.  So would having a plan in place for a one in a thousand year meteor strike, I suppose.  The best thing that can be done is to learn what failed: structural, preparation, response and why and then make corrections and move forward.

SC could have spent $1 Trillion on dams, levees, canals, and barrier reefs, and there would still be just as much blame laid down.  It's human nature to start blaming leadership, people and other things when something bad happens.  SC certainly could have done some things differently.  Having a plan in place for a one in a thousand year flood seems like a good idea in hindsight.  So would having a plan in place for a one in a thousand year meteor strike, I suppose.  The best thing that can be done is to learn what failed: structural, preparation, response and why and then make corrections and move forward.

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I don't think South Carolina has  as much money as North Carolina has. Major cities in South Carolina has had virtually NO growth over the past few decades limiting tax revenue. It's almost like a situation where you don't have the money but want to modernize so you allocate the little money you have to the most critical places. I feel for South Carolina. :(

12062957_10153811150730312_1043496259_o.

I wish the Haley would of activated the national guard sooner (9AM Sunday morning) so they could already be in place to help with rescues and maybe (MAYBE) help save some more dams with sandbags and what not. Other than that, let more water out of the lakes ahead of time? 

Before Floyd hit the local utility and other large providers ( Sprint for phone for instance) pre staged over 100 vehicles to go out after the storm to begin immediate repairs. The lot that was in the 500 yr flood plain and they lost all of them, then due to the flood they couldn't get outside trucks in....also activating the NG isn't as easy or quick as you think, it took them 3 days to start getting real loads of water/charcoal/ice etc to us after Floyd every single road in the county that connected to any major hwy to outside the area was under water.  Its a lot more complicated than just saying go NG save people.....there needs to be a plan and you cant make a plan until you know what you are up against.

I would give this time to evolve and then the short comings and mistakes will come to light because there are always mistakes and missteps dealing with these type of events. I truly feel for you guys as someone who experienced without luckily losing anything of real value exactly what most of you SC peeps are dealing with. .

I don't think South Carolina has  as much money as North Carolina has. Major cities in South Carolina has had virtually NO growth over the past few decades limiting tax revenue. It's almost like a situation where you don't have the money but want to modernize so you allocate the little money you have to the most critical places. I feel for South Carolina. :(

12062957_10153811150730312_1043496259_o.

I won't spend a lot of time on it, but I thought your post should be responded to. Your growth graph is worthless from a comparison standpoint. To be sure, NC cities have grown in FAR greater numbers, but SC has not had no growth. SC has very restrictive annexation laws and people have to vote to be annexed into a city (for the most part) and almost nobody does that. NC can basically annex something when it becomes urbanized. NC cities are way larger than SC cities in land area for that reason. Yes, Charleston and Columbia have been able to find some annexation loopholes, but most of the growth has been from influx. That is why SC city population doesn't seem reflective of their true sizes. Greensboro and Greenville are about the same "real world" size, but Greensboro has like 250k while Gville has like 60k.

Some areas in SC have had an estimated 4-5" of rain with more still falling. Anyone from these areas able to report? Are the flood waters rising again or are things okay there?

I've had about 2.2 total and it's finally stopped raining! It was raining at 8 am when I woke up and stopped about 730 pm. It was a steady to heavy rain most of that time and breezy alot of the day

Some areas in SC have had an estimated 4-5" of rain with more still falling. Anyone from these areas able to report? Are the flood waters rising again or are things okay there?

Yea, this can't help the situation at all..

PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

915 PM EDT SAT OCT 10 2015

...PRELIMINARY RAINFALL REPORTS FOR TODAY SO FAR...

LOCATION COUNTY/STATE AMOUNT (IN.)

CONGAREE NP RAWS RICHLAND CO SC 3.32

MLK PARK RCWINDS - COLUMBIA RICHLAND CO SC 3.07

HAMPTON ST RCWINDS - COLUMBIA RICHLAND CO SC 2.91

GILLS CREEK RCWINDS - COLUMBIA RICHLAND CO SC 2.64

NEWBERRY RCWINDS NEWBERRY CO SC 2.64

PEN BRANCH GOES - FOREST ACRES RICHLAND CO SC 2.62

EDGEFIELD GOES EDGEFIELD CO SC 2.40

UNIV OF SC RICHLAND CO SC 2.35

CROSSROADS FD RCWINDS - CHAPIN LEXINGTON CO SC 2.32

LAKE MURRAY DAM RCWINDS LEXINGTON CO SC 2.17

EASTOVER RCWINDS RICHLAND CO SC 2.13

SALUDA USGS SALUDA CO SC 2.05

HAMILTON OWENS FLD APT ASOS RICHLAND CO SC 2.03

HOPKINS RCWINDS RICHLAND CO SC 2.01

PLUM BRANCH RAWS EDGEFIELD CO SC 1.97

APPLING LARC COLUMBIA CO GA 1.80

COLUMBIA METRO APT ASOS LEXINGTON CO SC 1.47

SHAW AFB SUMTER CO SC 1.26

OBSERVATIONS ARE COLLECTED FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES WITH VARYING

EQUIPMENT AND EXPOSURE. NOT ALL DATA LISTED ARE CONSIDERED OFFICIAL.

$

MILLER

• 1 month later...

First time back posting since the Flood.  Looks like it may be a while before we are able to move back to my house but I can't thank my friends, family, and neighbors enough for all the help and support during the clean up phase as well as many of you who kept me in your prayers. 

Here is a story the CBS Evening News did on a family of 4 that lived a few doors down that me and a fellow neighbor had to pull from their attic and put them in a canoe to get them out before water topped their roof.  Still unreal to think back on that morning and what all took place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0SYhCANvAQ&feature=youtu.be

First time back posting since the Flood.  Looks like it may be a while before we are able to move back to my house but I can't thank my friends, family, and neighbors enough for all the help and support during the clean up phase as well as many of you who kept me in your prayers. 

Here is a story the CBS Evening News did on a family of 4 that lived a few doors down that me and a fellow neighbor had to pull from their attic and put them in a canoe to get them out before water topped their roof.  Still unreal to think back on that morning and what all took place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0SYhCANvAQ&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully you are in your house sooner rather than later  :hug:  There are still yards and areas that remain underwater near me  :( 

Hopefully you are in your house sooner rather than later   :hug:  There are still yards and areas that remain underwater near me   :(

I can believe it!  One of our family friends just outside of Saint Matthews is still taking a boat over about a 500 yard portion of his driveway to reach his home.  Just unreal...

Archived