Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ‪#‎NASA‬ & US National Weather Service Wilmington NC: NASA's Terra satellite flew over the Carolinas this morning and captured this amazing picture of ongoing flooding. Brown sediment-laden floodwaters are moving through Lake Marion, while other dark plumes are pouring into the ocean from the Cape Fear River, Little River Inlet, Winyah Bay, and Charleston Harbor.

South Carolina officials announced a temporary closure of oyster harvesting due to high bacteria counts in coastal estuaries. Check with local monitoring agencies to see if coastal or inland waters are safe in your area.

12079972_1061917627161052_66617799788296

US National Weather Service Wilmington NC

5 mins ·

NASA's Terra satellite flew over the Carolinas this morning and captured this amazing picture of ongoing flooding. Brown sediment-laden floodwaters are moving through Lake Marion, while other dark plumes are pouring into the ocean from the Cape Fear River, Little River Inlet, Winyah Bay, and Charleston Harbor.

South Carolina officials announced a temporary closure of oyster harvesting due to high bacteria counts in coastal estuaries. Check with local monitoring agencies to see if coastal or inland waters are safe in your area.

So sorry for your loss. So did the water make it to the 1st floor or all the way into the attic?

What kind of snake is that at the door? Did you find him inside the house or just by the door?

The water was about 3 feet deep at the highest point inside my house. My house is also approx 10 feet off the ground so it is crazy to think about. 

Some type of water snake, either Redbelly or Banded we think.  It was up on my front porch when I first made it back to the house after the flood waters receded. Was not expecting to see that.

I have been in cola for the last two days and going back again today. The destruction is unreal and cleaning out my parents house stinks bc they want to try and save everything but I have told them you can't. Even printed off the fema stuff. It is just hard to let go.

Columbia will not be back to normal for years IMHO with the road construction and dams and such. This is their Katerina, without the massive federal money.

Looks like the heat is about to be turned up on Hadley.

"Gov. Haley has come under fire for a lack of preparedness in what she has called a "thousand year storm." South Carolina has suffered 17 of the 19 weather-related deaths. The state has suffered 14 dam failures as of Wednesday compared to zero dam failures in hard hit North Carolina.

South Carolina's spending on inspections and maintenance in 2013 was $260,000, roughly 10 percent of North Carolina's 2 million dollar budget."

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/2015/10/08/parts-sc-flood-second-time-people-told-evacuate/73590948/

5]"Gov. Haley has come under fire for a lack of preparedness in what she has called a "thousand year storm." South Carolina has suffered 17 of the 19 weather-related deaths. The state has suffered 14 dam failures as of Wednesday compared to zero dam failures in hard hit North Carolina.

5]South Carolina's spending on inspections and maintenance in 2013 was $260,000, roughly 10 percent of North Carolina's 2 million dollar budget."

5]http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/2015/10/08/parts-sc-flood-second-time-people-told-evacuate/73590948/

I think she, as chief, as well as her subordinates, should rightly take some heat. We knew about this event days in advance. It does not hurt to preemptively release water.

It is more expensive to fix destroyed infrastructure and its consequential costs than to properly maintain infrastructure. This goes not for just dams, but bridges and roads as well. Our Department of Transportation is horribly underfunded.

We need to quit slashing budgets on infrastructure and instead progress for once. It would make it a lot easier to be proactive in emergency response if you have the confidence in your knowledge of even just the state of our dams, roads, and bridges.

"Gov. Haley has come under fire for a lack of preparedness in what she has called a "thousand year storm." South Carolina has suffered 17 of the 19 weather-related deaths. The state has suffered 14 dam failures as of Wednesday compared to zero dam failures in hard hit North Carolina.

South Carolina's spending on inspections and maintenance in 2013 was $260,000, roughly 10 percent of North Carolina's 2 million dollar budget."

http://www.wfmynews2.com/story/news/2015/10/08/parts-sc-flood-second-time-people-told-evacuate/73590948/

Hey!  The NC state government got something...right?    :bag:

Disclaimer:  Yes, this comment probably belongs in PR, but it's not too serious and is not intended to cause arguments.

Hey!  The NC state government got something...right?    :bag:

Disclaimer:  Yes, this comment probably belongs in PR, but it's not too serious and is not intended to cause arguments.

More like lucky.  The main axis of precip stayed south for the most part.  

A Democrat will never waste a crisis to push an agenda. Really Burns in this thread of all places. I would never sit here in the Floyd aftermath and throw darts at the state govt back then even though I was on the other side of the political fence of the party who was and had been in control for over half century. Things happen and will continue to happen that man can't control. Sorry for the rant but this isn't the place to start up political debates. From the right or the left.

A Democrat will never waste a crisis to push an agenda. Really Burns in this thread of all places. I would never sit here in the Floyd aftermath and throw darts at the state govt back then even though I was on the other side of the political fence of the party who was and had been in control for over half century. Things happen and will continue to happen that man can't control. Sorry for the rant but this isn't the place to start up political debates. From the right or the left.

My comment concerned the weather.  We got lucky. You can read a weather map. Your post is the most political one in this thread. Oh, one more thing. Don't try and lecture me on anything.  I don't like it and you haven't come close to earning that right.

I failed in my attempt at humor, and I caused argumentative posts.  My bad.

The budgeted amount of $2M for dam inspections and upkeep is what I was referencing as "getting right".  At least we spent money on necessary infrastructure, but I know there is much more that could still be done with regards to roads, bridges, dams, and tunnels.

How can a state truly prepare for a 1000 yr flood? Nobody alive has ever seen it so how do you get things right? Any preparation is really just a guess and hope that it works out.

It is not that I expected them to prepare for an 1000 year flood. This is not even partisan as some above have suggested. It is the refusal of our executive branch to spend a little more on infrastructure in SC.

She proposes budgets that slash spending in the DOT, claiming that the money to fix infrastructure is in our budget already and that no new taxes need to be raised to fix our roads. Well that's great, but she hasn't seemed to find it yet and seems to be using our infrastructure as a pawn in political one upmanship.

It seems like a joke, but you can tell when you get into South Carolina because the roads are louder and in worse shape. That little anecdote tells you all you need to know about the state of our bridges and dams.

Sent from my SM-G920I

It is not that I expected them to prepare for an 1000 year flood. This is not even partisan as some above have suggested. It is the refusal of our executive branch to spend a little more on infrastructure in SC.

She proposes budgets that slash spending in the DOT, claiming that the money to fix infrastructure is in our budget already and that no new taxes need to be raised to fix our roads. Well that's great, but she hasn't seemed to find it yet and seems to be using our infrastructure as a pawn in political one upmanship.

It seems like a joke, but you can tell when you get into South Carolina because the roads are louder and in worse shape. That little anecdote tells you all you need to know about the state of our bridges and dams.

Sent from my SM-G920I

They could have spent 100 times the usual amount and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference with that much water. Its completely absurd to try and blame someone...Shaggy is totally right.

Regardless, I don't like how close to political this is though...we aren't going to go into politics on the weather side. 

My comment concerned the weather.  We got lucky. You can read a weather map. Your post is the most political one in this thread. Oh, one more thing. Don't try and lecture me on anything.  I don't like it and you haven't come close to earning that right.

It's wasnt intended to be a lecture. i've been on these boards since 2006 and I do enjoy having you as a moderator and I'm sure most posters on here would agree you bring a ton of value just by being so witty. Really adds a nice flavor to everything. We'll just agree to disagree and leave it at that. Yes my post was the most obvious political one the way It was laid out. I stand by it and apologize to the neighborhood in here not for what I said but where I said it (banter for a reason). Carry on and keep up the good work JB. Seriously mean that you do a great job as do the other mods and I espeacilly appreciate all your contributions. 

You need to remember their are two groups that inspect dams. 1 is the state and the second is the Army Corp of Engineers. Forest Lake is inspected every 4 years by the Army Corp and I am not sure how often the state does it. A friend of mine has 350 acres of hunting property with a pond on it and he said the state comes and inspects their dam about every 5-7 years. 

How can a state truly prepare for a 1000 yr flood? Nobody alive has ever seen it so how do you get things right? Any preparation is really just a guess and hope that it works out.

I wish the Haley would of activated the national guard sooner (9AM Sunday morning) so they could already be in place to help with rescues and maybe (MAYBE) help save some more dams with sandbags and what not. Other than that, let more water out of the lakes ahead of time? 

They could have spent 100 times the usual amount and it wouldn't make a damn bit of difference with that much water. Its completely absurd to try and blame someone...Shaggy is totally right.

Regardless, I don't like how close to political this is though...we aren't going to go into politics on the weather side. 

local news is reporting that SC spend around 200K last year &  NC spends much more.

SC is getting a black eye up north on how they spend money.

Lookout, I'm not trying to argue that everything would have been made better by more money. And I'm going to stop discussing this after this post because I enjoy this site and don't want to be political, nor do I enjoy discussing those topics.

All I'm trying to highlight is the deficiencies in our state's infrastructure maintenance, which could have helped in regards to the dam breaches. If you know the deficiencies of certain dams, you would preemptively release water and stage equipment in case of failure to preempt or quickly stop breaches. This is a symptom of our failure to maintain our infrastructure in the bigger picture.

I agree with you that most of this is unpreventable. However, the fact that SCE&G is discharging water in the height of the storm because they should have done so earlier is terrible. The people of the Saluda and Congaree areas had their problems multiplied because of this. Our government should have been on top of them, using whatever was in their purview, to get them to draw down the level 2-3 days ahead of the storm because we all knew this had potential. The NWS did a great job warning people and government of this in advance, it isn't like the government didn't know. But then again, this is just my take. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Update 9:30 p.m.

Two more dams failed in Richland County as part of the historic rain storm on Sunday, bringing the total to nine.

The Sunview Lake dam in southeast Columbia near Caughman Road and Walden Place dam on Rotureau Lake in Northeast Richland off Spears Creek Church Road were listed as breached on the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control on website Thursday evening.

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article38169915.html#storylink=cpy

Models were VERY consistent with this deep band of heavy moisture sitting over SC for days. I mean, very consistent. SC could have done more to prepare for this. Yes, you can't stop the actual flooding, but you can direct more resources for the aftermath before it starts and even lower the dams some prior to the event.

I mean, we knew this was going to be a bad flooding situation for at least 2-3 days before. We knew even if the Hurricane didn't hit the coast, the ULL would pull in moisture from the hurricane into a 100-150 mile wide band of heavy rain and direct it on SC. Amounts of 10-25 inches were being shown on the models.

Archived