• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

Amazing to watch all the dam owners scramble to protect their structures.  Part of my job is to coordinate with the owners, engineers and operators of the 50 dams in my county.  South Carolina has nearly 50,000 dams in the state (http://www.damsafety.org/map/state.aspx?s=41).  What's amazing is that every report I have seen indicates the owners *did not* begin to draw their pool levels down in the days leading up to this event.  Unlike in the Mid Atlantic, all numerical guidance was indicating a major if not historic event for the Palmetto State.  In Maryland, we advise owners to draw their pools down 6" per calendar day (no more) before an event where 4" of rain is forecast to occur.  We only allow a 6" draw down to preserve the embankments and reduce waves action on the shoreline.  It's mind boggling to see the owners not draw down in advance of this event.  Even a 12" - 18" draw down affords you an incredible amount of response time when the heavy rain starts going to evacuate people and assess the integrity of the dam.

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I grew up on FL. That dam was rebuilt by the army corp of engineers 25 years ago or so. All concrete dam with flood spill way and 4 steel gates. It held yesterday. I pray it can hold again. Talking to my brother, they think it will be much worse than yesterday morning. 

Guy on WIS said the dam "was not in good shape". His exact words. They are also concerned about Lake Katherine too.

Archived