joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Oct 2nd-5th ULL OBS Major Flooding in SC Midlands/Low Country

Hvward

• Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those pics and the stories coming out today remind me a lot of how Floyd went down for us, during the actual PRE event and cane itself the flash flooding was the big thing, people had to get out fast as the water came up fast but then it also went down fast in a lot of areas...and people along those low lying areasthought that was it, it was almost like we dodged a bullet and then the rivers and creeks and streams rose so fast its almost unbelievable as all that runoff made its way into the system......its sounds like a lot of the same there as all the water gets into the rivers and lakes and dams start to fail, and rivers rise fast.....

Lee County Sheriff's Office warning about a couple dam issues. One near Clyburn Pond has already failed, but is more minor.

The bigger one, Ashwood Lake, seems to have structural damage and quite possibly could fail. (Looks due to erosion to me). A lot of flooding in the Lynchburg area, houses have had to be evacuated.

Ashwood Lake Damaged Dam

post-12588-144408003895.jpg

Lee County Sheriff's Office warning about a couple dam issues. One near Clyburn Pond has already failed, but is more minor.

The bigger one, Ashwood Lake, seems to have structural damage and quite possibly could fail. (Looks due to erosion to me). A lot of flooding in the Lynchburg area, houses have had to be evacuated.

Ashwood Lake Damaged Dam

FB_IMG_1444079581600.jpg

boiling not good

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE

SOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY COLUMBIA SOUTH

CAROLINA

RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC

407 PM EDT MON OCT 5 2015

THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SOUTH

CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA.

MANDATORY EVACUATIONS HAVE BEEN ORDERED FOR THE OVERCREEK

NEIGHBORHOOD IN RICHLAND COUNTY...FROM FOREST DRIVE TO PERCIVAL

ROAD. THIS IS DUE TO A DAM BREACH IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTEDCIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGESOUTH CAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY COLUMBIA SOUTHCAROLINARELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COLUMBIA SC407 PM EDT MON OCT 5 2015THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF THE SOUTHCAROLINA EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT AGENCY COLUMBIA SOUTH CAROLINA.MANDATORY EVACUATIONS HAVE BEEN ORDERED FOR THE OVERCREEKNEIGHBORHOOD IN RICHLAND COUNTY...FROM FOREST DRIVE TO PERCIVALROAD. THIS IS DUE TO A DAM BREACH IN THE NEIGHBORHOOD.

Yea Overcreek is emptied out now...

They keep saying Forrest lake is going but it is not. If it was close won't national guard try sandbagging or something? Yet they are leaving it alone. Btw my parents pontoon was on the weather channel. Dang thing is 25+ years old and brother said nothing is wrong with it.

Yes, I think the damn breach threat might be subsiding...  I think the lake below was able to hold the water thankfully...

The lake is still close to that 360' mark   :(    If memory serves right, they built the "backup" due to the water undercutting the dam because of the pillars driven into the ground, from the walking bridge.  1969 was the last time a floodgate was open

In other news.....mby is now up to 14.25" for this event and the sprinkles continue   ;)

Glad you appear to be safe---You have the Wx experience and knowledge to stay that way----

Sadly, the Black River has shattered the high water record at Kingstree tonight and only seems to be going up, surpassing the river forecast. It is nearing the 21 foot mark, a whole foot past the record and five feet past the criteria for a major flood.

Reports are that the river is reaching over a mile outside of its banks. I keep hoping it has finally crested but it keeps surpassing every forecast from the SERFC.

A couple more feet and the whole town will be underwater for days because of the slow moving nature of the water in this part of the state. I hope it does not threaten the shelter at Kingstree High School south of town or there would be major trouble.

I wish I could find satellite imagery of Williamsburg County because it is fair to say that the majority of the county has to be underwater at this point due to the rivers and low level of the county.

post-12588-144409328586.png

Glad you appear to be safe---You have the Wx experience and knowledge to stay that way----

I'm doing well thanks for checking on me   :wub:    The roof's a little leaky and missing a shingle or two, but the big blue tarp has been doing a pretty good job of keeping out the moisture   :)  

BREAKING: Mandatory evacuation of Wildwood Subdivision because there is a controlled breach of Beaver Dam. Please get out now. #WLTX

This is not good   :(    

BREAKING: Mandatory evacuation of Wildwood Subdivision because there is a controlled breach of Beaver Dam. Please get out now. #WLTX

Wow. Any more dams on the watch list? I am going to my parents tomorrow. 

A little off topic but does anyone know the rule on flood damage and what is salvageable and what is not? Someone put on Facebook if under water for 24 hours nothing can be saved. 

Update from @CourtSportKing:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Mildford already closed from earlier mandatory evacuation. Part of Shady lane/ Lake katherine

These news guys are really pissing me off. They want Forest lake dam to fail so bad they can't see straight. If it did, the place they are standing is gone and they are in the Atlantic. 

Mildford already closed from earlier mandatory evacuation. Part of Shady lane/ Lake katherine

These news guys are really pissing me off. They want Forest lake dam to fail so bad they can't see straight. If it did, the place they are standing is gone and they are in the Atlantic. 

+1

That dam looks advanced so it should be fine. 

+1

That dam looks advanced so it should be fine. 

It was completely rebuilt by the Army Corp in 1992 (Or So) and I lived on the lake. Funny story. Army corp came in and did an inspection and came up with a long list of things to do on the dam or they would drain the lake. Well, Fort Jackson got their water supply from the lake and had an agreement to keep up the dam. Well Mr. Cooper took the list over to Fort Jackson and said fix it. Then the Army corp started to back track, but he held his ground and said I agreed with your original report. So the Army Corp rebuilt that damn and took it from metal to Concrete with massive overflow spillway and huge metal gates that are still there as of 3 hours ago. 

Archived