• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Just stopping by to register a polite complaint about this GHD3 Storm. I had hoped for better. I too am getting to the point that Spring sounds good to me.

I gotta agree, even the novelty of having a huge November storm has worn off. As a matter of fact if you take that out Detroit is only 9.9" we have missed pretty much everything this winter other than a few very minor hits. Really rivaling 2011-2012 at this point.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I gotta agree, even the novelty of having a huge November storm has worn off. As a matter of fact if you take that out Detroit is only 9.9" we have missed pretty much everything this winter other than a few very minor hits. Really rivaling 2011-2012 at this point.

That's pretty much been the case for much of Lower Michigan south of Ludington to Mt. Pleasant. A couple of Lake enhanced events have saved it for me. I've been trying to decide which is worse too. 11-12 or this one. That winter we at least had snow systems periodically...however, the ground was so warm they melted the next day or two. This winter has been miss in all directions.

Even though met winter has been pretty terrible so far, the overall season ranks higher than 11-12 for me. We had the 8.5" snow in Nov, and then the severe event Dec 23rd.

Was in LAF for 2011-12...it wasn't good but relative to average, we did better than a lot of other areas.

The November storm and the December sleet storm are the highlights this year, which will prevent me from giving an F even if it sucks the rest of the way. A D is still possible though if it's bad the rest of the way.

What happens in Feb and Mar will have a lot to say regarding comparisons to 2011-12 for me. Just too early for me to make that call. I have a feeling this won't be as crappy as 2011-12. Of course the novelty of the November snowstorm has worn off as that was over 2 months ago now, but it doesn't discount it for me or mean it didn't happen lol. Met winter is 2/3 over but astronomical winter is right at the halfway mark and the snow season just past the halfway mark (Jan 25 was halfway). Obviously an early spring or a winter dragging into spring affects everyone's grade differently (in fact I guarantee you and I completely differ on that) but regardless it's too early for me to compare a full season that's happened to one in progress.

The Blizzard of 78 travelled directly over Columbus.  Even the OV's arguably all-time event screwed us. 

Obviously you didn't experience '78. 

Normally a track over CMH is rain with backlash flurries.   However a 1 in 100 year storm that tracks over CMH and bombs to 952 over CLE, it's a tad different.   The only screw was inches of snow.  But on 70 mph winds the difference between 6" and a foot is negligible.

Was in LAF for 2011-12...it wasn't good but relative to average, we did better than a lot of other areas.

The November storm and the December sleet storm are the highlights this year, which will prevent me from giving an F even if it sucks the rest of the way. A D is still possible though if it's bad the rest of the way.

the only reason I haven't stamped an "F" on this winter is because I'm still looking for an "F-" stamp

What happens in Feb and Mar will have a lot to say regarding comparisons to 2011-12 for me. Just too early for me to make that call. I have a feeling this won't be as crappy as 2011-12. Of course the novelty of the November snowstorm has worn off as that was over 2 months ago now, but it doesn't discount it for me or mean it didn't happen lol. Met winter is 2/3 over but astronomical winter is right at the halfway mark and the snow season just past the halfway mark (Jan 25 was halfway). Obviously an early spring or a winter dragging into spring affects everyone's grade differently (in fact I guarantee you and I completely differ on that) but regardless it's too early for me to compare a full season that's happened to one in progress.

I understand your optimism but I see nothing that is giving me confidence on next month other than a cold blast that could easily bring no system with it. Beyond that it is a gamble but how many Marches have we had that worked out great, not too many.

I understand your optimism but I see nothing that is giving me confidence on next month other than a cold blast that could easily bring no system with it. Beyond that it is a gamble but how many Marches have we had that worked out great, not too many.

Its not even optimism. Its the unknown. Its too early for me, period. And again, correct me if Im wrong, I may be, but I figured that while you are always game for some good winter in Feb, you dont want winter in March/April, so a wintry March would lower your grade whether than higher it?

I looked up how this subpar season ranks snow-wise to date.

Through January 31st, DTW is at 15.9" snowfall on the season (normal to date).

Since 1880-81

1 other winter had exactly 15.9" thru 1/31.

37 winters had LESS than 15.9" thru 1/31

97 winters had MORE than 15.9" thru 1/31.

The most snow through 1/31 is 55.8" in 2013-14.

The least snow through 1/31 is 2.6" in 1889-90

Normal snow through 1/31 is 23.7"

Its not even optimism. Its the unknown. Its too early for me, period. And again, correct me if Im wrong, I may be, but I figured that while you are always game for some good winter in Feb, you dont want winter in March/April, so a wintry March would lower your grade whether than higher it?

I looked up how this subpar season ranks snow-wise to date.

Through January 31st, DTW is at 15.9" snowfall on the season (normal to date).

Since 1880-81

1 other winter had exactly 15.9" thru 1/31.

37 winters had LESS than 15.9" thru 1/31

97 winters had MORE than 15.9" thru 1/31.

The most snow through 1/31 is 55.8" in 2013-14.

The least snow through 1/31 is 2.6" in 1889-90

Normal snow through 1/31 is 23.7"

No I am fine with snow in March, anything after March 20th though I can pass on unless it is a huge storm and yes you are looking at the unknown but the context clues going into February don't build any confidence.

You know it's an awful winter when you can't even get a clipper to deliver an inch of snowfall.  I can't remember ever going this deep into winter without at least a few 2-3" clipper events, let alone one.  11-12, 12-13, and now 15-16 make one hell of an awful trio of winters in such a short time span.  Now that we've paid the price with 3 out of the last 5 winters being pure trash, maybe we'll be rewarded in subsequent winters...

You know it's an awful winter when you can't even get a clipper to deliver an inch of snowfall. I can't remember ever going this deep into winter without at least a few 2-3" clipper events, let alone one. 11-12, 12-13, and now 15-16 make one hell of an awful trio of winters in such a short time span. Now that we've paid the price with 3 out of the last 5 winters being pure trash, maybe we'll be rewarded in subsequent winters...

Agreed cyclone, I always see 11-12' being used as the example of a true clunker winter, IMHO 12-13' was just as bad.

This entire winter has been a cruel joke, and is unacceptable.  All this winter has done for me is reinforce how crappy our climo is.  I was out walking a bit earlier and thought to myself "it should never be this warm on Feb. 1"...yet is was "only" 42 degrees, which is only 10 degrees above normal and not even close to record highs.  It's the middle of winter...and if I actually lived in a wintry place, we should have highs near 22 much more often than highs near 42...yet statistically, there are equally likely.  That is not a wintry climate.

I still think we could get some minor snows when the cold air hits in about a week...but it's torch/boring city until then.  And yes, any high above 40 this time of year is a torch - it is not winter-like.  Doesn't matter what climo is.  All I hear on this forum is "you can't expect constant winter conditions at 42N"...but then the general public complains how severe the winters are here.  So, which is it??  You can't have it both ways.

I would give a lot of money to see the 10,000,000 people in the Chicago metro area try to endure a winter in the UP or northern MN, then try to say how bad winters are in Chicago after that.  It's a joke.  People whine about winter but then think summer is so fantastic.  Yes, there are good things about each - but let seasons be seasons.  3 months for winter and 3 months for summer...but unfortunately, it's more like 3 months of summer and 3 *weeks* of winter in Chicago in an average year. 

And I know winters in St. Louis and central/southern IL are incredibly bad...but it doesn't change what I'm saying about Chicago.  In fact, it just tells me that a horrible St. Louis winter is never far way from Chicago - since St. Louis is really not that far as the crow flies. 

Hey, it's the complaint thread - using it for all its worth. :)

This entire winter has been a cruel joke, and is unacceptable.  All this winter has done for me is reinforce how crappy our climo is.  I was out walking a bit earlier and thought to myself "it should never be this warm on Feb. 1"...yet is was "only" 42 degrees, which is only 10 degrees above normal and not even close to record highs.  It's the middle of winter...and if I actually lived in a wintry place, we should have highs near 22 much more often than highs near 42...yet statistically, there are equally likely.  That is not a wintry climate.

I still think we could get some minor snows when the cold air hits in about a week...but it's torch/boring city until then.  And yes, any high above 40 this time of year is a torch - it is not winter-like.  Doesn't matter what climo is.  All I hear on this forum is "you can't expect constant winter conditions at 42N"...but then the general public complains how severe the winters are here.  So, which is it??  You can't have it both ways.

I would give a lot of money to see the 10,000,000 people in the Chicago metro area try to endure a winter in the UP or northern MN, then try to say how bad winters are in Chicago after that.  It's a joke.  People whine about winter but then think summer is so fantastic.  Yes, there are good things about each - but let seasons be seasons.  3 months for winter and 3 months for summer...but unfortunately, it's more like 3 months of summer and 3 *weeks* of winter in Chicago in an average year. 

And I know winters in St. Louis and central/southern IL are incredibly bad...but it doesn't change what I'm saying about Chicago.  In fact, it just tells me that a horrible St. Louis winter is never far way from Chicago - since St. Louis is really not that far as the crow flies. 

You live on the periphery of the winter snow pack in north America. Your area, like mine.... don't support the type of seasonal snowfall/cover you prefer to live in. Trust me buddy, I'd love to blow out of here and relocate to Marquette county. You are only 20 miles south of my latitude, but the fact that you lose out on about 15 inches and probably 30 days of snowfall every winter by being on that side of the lake, would compound the irritation. 

You live on the periphery of the winter snow pack in north America. Your area, like mine.... don't support the type of seasonal snowfall/cover you prefer to live in. Trust me buddy, I'd love to blow out of here and relocate to Marquette county. You are only 20 miles south of my latitude, but the fact that you lose out on about 15 inches and probably 30 days of snowfall every winter by being on that side of the lake, would compound the irritation.

Yep - no argument from me - still annoying though.

This entire winter has been a cruel joke, and is unacceptable. All this winter has done for me is reinforce how crappy our climo is. I was out walking a bit earlier and thought to myself "it should never be this warm on Feb. 1"...yet is was "only" 42 degrees, which is only 10 degrees above normal and not even close to record highs. It's the middle of winter...and if I actually lived in a wintry place, we should have highs near 22 much more often than highs near 42...yet statistically, there are equally likely. That is not a wintry climate.

I still think we could get some minor snows when the cold air hits in about a week...but it's torch/boring city until then. And yes, any high above 40 this time of year is a torch - it is not winter-like. Doesn't matter what climo is. All I hear on this forum is "you can't expect constant winter conditions at 42N"...but then the general public complains how severe the winters are here. So, which is it?? You can't have it both ways.

I would give a lot of money to see the 10,000,000 people in the Chicago metro area try to endure a winter in the UP or northern MN, then try to say how bad winters are in Chicago after that. It's a joke. People whine about winter but then think summer is so fantastic. Yes, there are good things about each - but let seasons be seasons. 3 months for winter and 3 months for summer...but unfortunately, it's more like 3 months of summer and 3 *weeks* of winter in Chicago in an average year.

And I know winters in St. Louis and central/southern IL are incredibly bad...but it doesn't change what I'm saying about Chicago. In fact, it just tells me that a horrible St. Louis winter is never far way from Chicago - since St. Louis is really not that far as the crow flies.

Here is a link from the futility winters if 1930's thru 1960's for Detroit. Can u imagine having stretches of winters like this. You think it's bad now check how bad it was in that time frame. I would imagine it was near the same for Chicago.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/30318-detroits-snowfall-history/

Here is a link from the futility winters if 1930's thru 1960's for Detroit. Can u imagine having stretches of winters like this. You think it's bad now check how bad it was in that time frame. I would imagine it was near the same for Chicago.

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/30318-detroits-snowfall-history/

beavis is always ranting about chicago winters...and I get it...this is the complaint thread. But really, its more a matter of him needing to move far north. Could Chicagoans survive a UP winter? Nope. But when your city gets more winter than 75-80% of the country, yeah, its not a surprise that the average citizen complains about Chicago winters. But Chicago has 3 weeks of winter? B.S. lol. Chicago, like Detroit, is on a stretch of amazing winters, and if every winter is 200% of climo it isnt climo. Whats REALLY ironic is that ORD is literally one of the only climate stations in the eastern 2/3 of the country above normal on the season outside of the midatlantic. Of course the same can't be said for the city proper.

I LOVE winter...I get beavis' need/want for more. But you already live in one of the wintrier cities in our great country....and if you arent satisfied with the amazing run of winters you have been on, you will never be happy unless you move far north, or at the very least take some trips north mid winter.

My heating bill is higher this year than it was 2 years ago (or even last year) when we were in a deep freeze with a solid snowpack.  These  30's with high humidity and rain stretches are 10 times colder on the body than dry sub teens even with the windchill.  Maybe it's my age but this sh@t is just to the core bone chilling misery.  

And there's no end in sight  :axe:

Wednesday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 25. West wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 20 mph.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 31.
Thursday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 23.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 39.
Friday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 29.
Saturday
Partly sunny, with a high near 41.
Saturday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 28.
Sunday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 42.
Sunday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 30.
Monday
A chance of rain and snow showers. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 41.

lol...as expected...1.5-3 feet of snow and the ground is bare in less than a week and a half in the midatlantic. If only we could get an ocean near us but keep our temp averages :weenie:

Yeah no kidding.

Northern New England can hold onto snow cover a lot better than the Mid-Atlantic.

Archived