• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

This is actually wrong. You're just at a bad latitude. It also doesn't help being so far away from the great lakes and the added moisture they can contribute to boost yearly totals. Indianapolis, Columbus, Pittsburgh PA, Philadelphia, Baltimore all at similar latitudes average around the same amount of snowfall per year on average. This is just a record El Nino and anyone that expected normal to above normal snowfall or anything that resembled a "normal" winter would be disappointed.

Pittsburgh averages 41.9", Indy 25.9", Philly 22", Columbus 25", DC 15.4", Baltimore 21"

So the notion that the Apps kills anyone is wrong. The closest residence to the Apps average the most snowfall. Oh, the "synoptic desert" stuff again. The Apps kills all synoptic activity! ^_^

I will say it is much harder to get big dogs in those locations in comparison to being around a rich moisture source like the Atlantic Ocean.

Sorry, but no.  The WTOD is a classic winter phenomenon in the OV.  Philly and Baltimore get large snowfalls much more commonly, but their averages are lower because they tend to have less snow outside of those big events.  Columbus and Pittsburgh at least get some LES and lake-enhanced stuff sometimes, but whenever there is a strong enough low even remotely on a less than ideal track, the Apps serve to funnel warm air into the eastern OV.  It happens every single winter.

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that sounds like a good track for you guys.  I've seen many storms pass directly over CMH, but the track is usually more south to north than sw to ne.  

You might get a Louisville to Syracuse track with a Manitoba mauler...  I've seen ones close to that.

The Blizzard of 78 travelled directly over Columbus.  Even the OV's arguably all-time event screwed us. 

The Blizzard of 78 travelled directly over Columbus. Even the OV's arguably all-time event screwed us.

Didn't Columbus have s couple nice events? One in 2004 and in 2008? I think the last decade you guys did pretty well IMO. I mean u guys only average 25" per year

Didn't Columbus have s couple nice events? One in 2004 and in 2008? I think the last decade you guys did pretty well IMO.

The last decade has probably been the most consistent snow performer since the 1880s.  Since 2003, there have been 4 events with 10" or more- February 2014, February 2010, March 2008 and February 2003.  That is the most for any such time period on record.  During the 1910s, there were 2, and that is the second highest.  The 1980s had one, and that is pretty much it as far as double-digit events.  In 2004, Columbus officially had just 6.3", with a lot of ice.  In terms of 12"+ totals, there have been only 5 of those ever.

The last decade has probably been the most consistent snow performer since the 1880s. Since 2003, there have been 5 events with 10" or more. That is the most for any such time period on record. During the 1910s, there were 2, and that is the second highest. The 1980s had one, and that is pretty much it as far as double-digit events. In 2004, Columbus officially had just 6.3", with a lot of ice.

Ok so it was the Cincinnati/Dayton area then that got crushed.

Not a rant or anything, just banter, but where is Justin? Now that he's left I'm the only dude from the QCA posting lol. Unfortunately we lost another great poster (met) Oceanstwx a few years ago. Sure would be nice to have some others from this area post on a regular basis.

I think he posted earlier this winter. Definitely too scarce.

The YYZ # is low because of the nipher. In reality suburban Toronto has seen about 10" so far this winter. But the downtown number is pretty much accurate. Toronto4 could verify that.

I gotta find a nice mountain like you and Geos.

New Market. I have a cousin that lives there. He's told me the difference between snowfall vs the GTA. Only an 45 mins from the city right?

Is Josh going to have a meltdown soon? I know many of us are waiting for it.

I don't think so. In his mind he was prepared for a crappy winter. He's already thinking about next year. Now if next years winter is like this. We should get a rant next winter. He's giving this season a pass. Plus he's going to the U.P soon for like 8 days so that will lower his anger.

I don't think so. In his mind he was prepared for a crappy winter. He's already thinking about next year. Now if next years winter is like this. We should get a rant next winter. He's giving this season a pass. Plus he's going to the U.P soon for like 8 days so that will lower his anger.

4 days, but everything else spot on ;)

Josh should get a sled and a trailer, he would stop caring about his backyard and annoy the other ~42N posters with his disinterest in local snow. I'll tell you what, it sure lowers stress levels dramatically.

You should just stick to snowmobiling forums. This is a forum for people who actually care about the science of meteorology and all the natural phenomenons associated with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Josh should get a sled and a trailer, he would stop caring about his backyard and annoy the other ~42N posters with his disinterest in local snow. I'll tell you what, it sure lowers stress levels dramatically. 

lol well....I wouldnt go that far. Its not like I can run up north every week. I will never lose interest in local snow, just hope that up north has a great year as well so its waiting for me when I get there.

Spring can't get here any faster. I'm ready for severe wx.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's going to be a rough 6-8 weeks for you.

Anyhow, the nice thing about the weather, none of us can control it. It's gonna do what it's gonna do.

Archived