• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

Correct, nowhere near the wind potential, but still don't understand why every other NWS went with LES advisories and APX issues winter weather???? Should be a LES advisory.

Yeah, your guess is as good as mine.

We had a similar discussion about this same subject when GRR did the same thing during the last LES event. 

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a different ball game up there. I was just up in that area 6-7" fell New Year's Day... No headline, no nothing. Life just keeps going and the locals drive like crazy in the snow. Better get out of their way.

It's all relative.

Folks who live in Atlanta (remember when the entire city shut down for days a couple years ago after 1" of snow?) would say the same thing about us in Detroit.

It's all relative.

Folks who live in Atlanta (remember when the entire city shut down for days a couple years ago after 1" of snow?) would say the same thing about us in Detroit.

Not to mention....millions of people live in the Detroit area...much more rural up north. We all know how to drive in snow. The problem is too many people on the road, there's always that one @sshole lol.

Not to mention....millions of people live in the Detroit area...much more rural up north. We all know how to drive in snow. The problem is too many people on the road, there's always that one @sshole lol.

Not sure I can agree with that one, seen a lot of @ssholes downstate when I lived there, oddly enough it seemed to be more SUV and 4x4 trucks in the ditches  :D

You should probably move north.

Correct.  I plan to do so when I retire in 10-15 years...and thankfully my wife is on board too. :) 

Even so - I'll go back to the Cubs fan analogy...rooting for your favorite team, despite never having won a World Series in 107 years.  The long odds don't stop you from hoping.  The 1978-79 winter saw 90" of snow in Chicago and 100" in the far N suburbs (Antioch)...and 100 days of continuous snow cover.  Hopefully it will happen again.

I just finished reading "So Cold A Sky:  Upper Michigan Weather Stories" by Karl Bohnak.  Great book with a lot of historical weather info - I believe it was written around 2005-06.  I'm sure Bo and other climo/winter lovers would enjoy it.

Correct.  I plan to do so when I retire in 10-15 years...and thankfully my wife is on board too. :)

Even so - I'll go back to the Cubs fan analogy...rooting for your favorite team, despite never having won a World Series in 107 years.  The long odds don't stop you from hoping.  The 1978-79 winter saw 90" of snow in Chicago and 100" in the far N suburbs (Antioch)...and 100 days of continuous snow cover.  Hopefully it will happen again.

I just finished reading "So Cold A Sky:  Upper Michigan Weather Stories" by Karl Bohnak.  Great book with a lot of historical weather info - I believe it was written around 2005-06.  I'm sure Bo and other climo/winter lovers would enjoy it.

At this point, I'm thinking about retiring in Ontario, I'll have a place built 20 miles NE of SSM Ontario. Keeps me in the region, but gives me more snow, less heat and less traffic.

I say this now, but it might never happen.

At this point, I'm thinking about retiring in Ontario, I'll have a place built 20 miles NE of SSM Ontario. Keeps me in the region, but gives me more snow, less heat and less traffic.

I say this now, but it might never happen.

Sounds fun.  And yeah, things can definitely change plans - such as aging parents, etc.  But it's fun to think about and try to make it happen.  One of the most fun things I've ever done was a 4-day snowmobiling trip with my wife and my brother's family 4 years ago in northern WI.  Having a few drinks, good food, hanging out, talking with the locals...the feeling of freedom and stinging cold on your face is awesome. 

Good book, I have it. He's a weather guy for a FOX TV station up in Marquette in the UP. He has some pretty good stories in his "That's What Karl Says" segment he post in there web site a few times a week. If you liked the book you should check it out.

sounds awesome!

Don't you have a cottage up north?

I do and I could care less about the weather up there ATM. Memorial Day - End of rifle season is about the only time I care.

In fact IMO an easy mild winter wouldn't be all that bad for the deer herd. I know some would argue that but from my experience it helps. I'm also thinking about leasing or buying an area of hunting land in the eastern UP around Brimley.

I do and I could care less about the weather up there ATM. Memorial Day - End of rifle season is about the only time I care.

Unless it's just tradition, you do know there are more deer in Jackson country than the entire northern lower and UP combined.

I hunted in Hudson, MI 3 years ago and saw more than 50 deer in 2 days. Passed on them all.

Unless it's just tradition, you do know there are more deer in Jackson country than the entire northern lower and UP combined.

I hunted in Hudson, MI 3 years ago and saw more than 50 deer in 2 days. Passed on them all.

Not the same IMO and its tradition. The cottage is a family summer hangout. See my edited original post.

Not the same IMO and its tradition. The cottage is a family summer hangout. See my edited original post.

I ride my sled near Brimley. It's in the UP corn belt, but still.... not many deer.

Although the lease rate is probably a 10th of south central Michigan (The deer belt).

I smoked a 6 pointer in Waterloo. But yea...I like traveling for my hunts. It's part of the fun.

I agree, it's more fun to go up north and hunt. I lost both of my hunting spots over the last few years. I used to hunt in SW Lenawee county and Hillsdale. We sold the property in Lenawee and my uncle owns the Hillsdale property. Family squabble has resulted in no more invitations to the Hudson location.

I might look for a lease in the Cadillac area. In all my times riding the sled, I spot the most deer out that way, for an "Up north" location. The UP is so deer starved outside of the bottom non-LES belt... it has reportedly gotten worse every year.

I can agree to that I used to live in Jackson, hit probably 4-5 deer while living down there.  Although I see a lot more deer on my new property granted I lived in pretty populated areas in Jackson. 

I agree, it's more fun to go up north and hunt. I lost both of my hunting spots over the last few years. I used to hunt in SW Lenawee county and Hillsdale. We sold the property in Lenawee and my uncle owns the Hillsdale property. Family squabble has resulted in no more invitations to the Hudson location.

I might look for a lease in the Cadillac area. In all my times riding the sled, I spot the most deer out that way, for an "Up north" location. The UP is so deer starved outside of the bottom non-LES belt... it has reportedly gotten worse every year.

Hard UP winters and ****ty deer management. The herd in the UP used to be good. Now it's garbage and there is some blame on the DNR for not implementing antler point restrictions soon enough. Plus the buck crazy mindset of many Great Lakes/Mid West hunters. But with time it will be good again. It comes in cycles.

for those who follow jb, have you noticed over the last week or so, (and today), when discussing the lack of snow and cold to date, he is starting to invoke the infamous,  "we have been nailing the pattern at 500mb...but unless we get snow, no one cares...", defense   :lmao:

It's like a 500lb dog ugly prostitute complaining that she can't turn a trick even though she has great personality.

Hard UP winters and ****ty deer management. The herd in the UP used to be good. Now it's garbage and there is some blame on the DNR for not implementing antler point restrictions soon enough. Plus the buck crazy mindset of many Great Lakes/Mid West hunters. But with time it will be good again. It comes in cycles.

There has been more than one biologist that has said that the selective harvesting of large bucks has lead to a decrease in antler size of whitetails. They are essentially evolving a smaller antler rack.

for those who follow jb, have you noticed over the last week or so, (and today), when discussing the lack of snow and cold to date, he is starting to invoke the infamous, "we have been nailing the pattern at 500mb...but unless we get snow, no one cares...", defense :lmao:

It's like a 500lb dog ugly prostitute complaining that she can't turn a trick even though she has great personality.

Jb is a goof. Only reason he nailed the last two winters was because they were both exceptionally cold, and he always forecasts that. So annoying.

Sent from my XT1563 using Tapatalk

Archived