Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
2015/16 Autumn/Winter Banter, Complaint, Whining Thread

HillsdaleMIWeather

• Replies 999
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing day here. Actually thought about cutting the lawn to mulch the remaining fall debris. GFS was a quasi suicide run for most of us. Little hope for Chistmas.

There could be enough wrap around LES to qualify. We won't have synoptic snow for Xmas in the lower Peninsula.

I went hunting this morning in hopes of bagging a late season straggler. It was surreal hunting with temps in the mid 50s in December.

I don't like hunting above 45F. The deer don't move.

I once threw up from heat exhaustion climbing into a tree stand at 60F.

I'm seriously ready for Spring if this is going to be the winter pattern: rainstorm with mild but not perfect temps, followed by a dry frontal passage instead of a snowstorm, then a few cooler but dry days. Wash, rinse, repeat. Low sun angle this time of year is depressing if the weather is this predictably boring and devoid of snow.

At least that covers a few hundred miles of trails up there... Right now there is no snowmobiling within a 1000 miles.

attachicon.gifSomething better than nothing.jpg

IT may snow but will melt pretty quckly when the temps rebound and the fact the ground not even clost to freezing. UP may be a little better off but not much. 

December's are a crapshoot to say the least. Had some clunkers lately. I can't remember too many January or February clunkers in the last decade.

It did tame down on the area of 3 and above though.

CFSv2.NaT2m.20151214.201601.gif

Don't buy the dry look for January.

CFSv2.NaPrec.20151214.201601.gif

December's are a crapshoot to say the least. Had some clunkers lately. I can't remember too many January or February clunkers in the last decade.

It did tame down on the area of 3 and above though.

CFSv2.NaT2m.20151214.201601.gif

Don't buy the dry look for January.

CFSv2.NaPrec.20151214.201601.gif

December's have most definitely been our least wintry month lately. But this year's ridiculous lol. And chicago and detroit are STILL above normal snow to date :lol:.

Recent runs of the cfs for January are the "coolest" I have seen that model show for January. Temp departures of +3-4 in this region are very manageable in Jan.

70F at Niagara Falls NY. Think of the lake effect snow potential for February and March this year.

I would expect a fairly rapid pattern flip-flop around January 20-25, could be some epic storminess in that transition, with the lower GL maintaining near 50F warmth well into January.

This winter will rock eventually, or at least it will happen let's say.

We see it every year, so it's no surprise that the panic is elevated in a true torch December. But I never got the "winter is over" mentality before the winter solstice lol. My favorite time of winter is mid January to mid February. It SUCKS that it's so warm, and I want a white Christmas like everyone else, but a sucky Jan-Feb aggravates me more.

If my winter hobby could be stuffed in a suitcase, I'd simply fly to a more wintry spot to get the snow out of my system. 

I'm guessing Tahoe should be pretty loaded up by Jan 15th.

Looking pretty good there now.

nsm_depth_2015121405_Sierra_Nevada.jpg

24 hour totals.

ruc_snow_precip_24hr_2015121405_Sierra_N

Archived