joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking hurricane Joaquin OTS

dailylurker

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not that you commented, it's that you just keep repeating it.

Exactly. I haven't made a single post rooting for anything and since tropical forecasting isn't really something I have expertise on I just shut up and read since I have nothing of value to add. It's just annoying to read the same posts over and over by the same few people.

Hey all, quick question: at initialization, have the models been accurately depicting the placement of the trough feature over the CONUS? The position/movement of the hurricane is certainly important, but the real life location of the trough vs. how it's modeled is also an important variable to consider. Thanks!

I posted a similar question earlier but didn't get a response. Did the Euro get the trough forecast more correct than the others, earlier? (And maybe the GFS  would have only much later without the additional soundings?)

And if it does ?

I think much more west of that and someone on coast is

going to get scraped at least.

I'd say if it gains latitude along with getting farther west, then landfall becomes much more likely.  Just getting to 75W, I'm not really sure how much it would matter.

I posted a similar question earlier but didn't get a response. Did the Euro get the trough forecast more correct than the others, earlier? (And maybe the GFS would have only much later without the additional soundings?)

Euro never weakened a upper low to the east of the storm...I believe were some of the remnants of IDA. That helped force the system south while the trough kicked it out. Euro was first to lock this in.

2. A strong majority of the forecast models are now in agreement on

a track farther away from the United States east coast. We are

becoming optimistic that the Carolinas and the mid-Atlantic states

will avoid the direct effects from Joaquin. However, we cannot yet

completely rule out direct impacts along on the east coast, and

residents there should continue to follow the progress of Joaquin

over the next couple of days.

Quite telling. 

Archived